Sony A7S Grading and LUTs for non-Log Footage

AlexScuccato

Hey folks I have an A7s and I prefer to shoot non-Log footage, usually the Autumn Leaves picture style. A lot of LUTs I see are for Log footage naturally, but does anyone have experience grading with (I'm assuming Rec.709) LUTs and what the basic workflow is? The reason I ask is I was inspired by Brandon Li's films where he does just that: shoots in Autumn Leaves, applies a LUT and then a second grade. However I'm stuck at that process as the LUTs I have (ImpulZ) don't seem to fit (which makes sense because they're mostly for Log footage or other cameras). Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Alex. 

The reason I ask is I was inspired by Brandon Li's films where he does just that: shoots in Autumn Leaves, applies a LUT and then a second grade.

Where does he state that he applies a LUT on Autumn Leaves?

Because, if he does, it has to be a pure look-LUT. Like one of the presets of the classic Magic Bullet looks. You'd need different looks for different moods, Brandon very often prefers a warm tone (that would be highlights pushed towards yellow/orange). 

You can do this with any CC tool. In most cases, you won't need secondary corrections. Because Autumn Leaves leaves skin tones with rich nuances, I think it's the best mode to choose for the A7s. Brandon amplifies the natural mood of the scene, he optimizes color contrasts (that would be shadows slightly pushed towards blue/cyan), both things can only be done manually - because it has to fit the scene (in a night that's only illuminated by fire, there can still be blue shadows (if justified by a blue sky, but in this clip the sky is pitch black) ....