Blackmagic Micro Cinema Super Guide and Why It Still Matters

crevice

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Awesome! Cannot wait to see some of that footage if you come around to post some.

Here's one from last week's concert. Shot with BMMCC and the Sigma 18-35; not my lens of choice but it's the one I bring when I don't know what I'll be getting into, and I'd never been to this venue before. It was basically a house concert, but amplified and with some stage lighting on the floor; there was a bit of feedback in the sound system that I tried to notch out with EQ in post and succeeded in attenuating most but not all of the ringing. Some handheld b-roll at the beginning.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I will watch it later on the weekend. Thanks for sharing! @bjohn Have you also been using the  18-35 on the pocket for handheld work once in a while? I imagine it to help due to its weight. A smooth, damped focus ring does also wonders with a light camera, avoiding all these small shakes and jerks from operating and focusing. Did you use lens support for the Sigma with your Bmmcc when on a tripod?

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I will watch it later on the weekend. Thanks for sharing! @bjohn Have you also been using the  18-35 on the pocket for handheld work once in a while? I imagine it to help due to its weight. A smooth, damped focus ring does also wonders with a light camera, avoiding all these small shakes and jerks from operating and focusing. Did you use lens support for the Sigma with your Bmmcc when on a tripod?

Yes, I use lens support for the Sigma always; it's a long, heavy lens and the MFT mount on the Blackmagic cameras is weak. So I use a baseplate with rails, and a lens support on the rails for the lens. I have occasionally used that lens on the Pocket, supporting it with my hand, but when I'm handholding the Pocket I usually use lighter lenses (my favourite is the SLR Magic 10mm Hyperprime cine lens) and my Zacuto Marauder Mini. I do think just a pistol grip plus another point of stabilization would work; I also have the Zacuto viewfinder that clips onto the LCD and I use that as my second point of stabilization.

The concert was an interesting challenge to film; the room was smaller than I expected and the music started before sunset; there was a bright shaft of sunlight coming in. I had my expensive Sekonic colour-temperature meter with me and took readings on the lead singer's face before the concert, but of course all that went out the window as the evening progressed and the sun went down; at that point they were lit by two colored stage lights on the floor beaming up toward them plus the two lamps that they placed to their right and left. I am glad I shot raw (3:1 CDNG) for the maximum flexibility in exposure and white balance, although I'm sure ProRes could have handled even the huge adjustments in white balance I had to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing! @kye That 45 - 150 is very intriguing and tiny! I've been owning one for years now when it came with my Lumix G7 and I still haven't ever used it. It is time to change that!

As two of my friends here on Eoshd already know, I have been out filming with my Bmpcc lately. I could write a longer paragrsph about it. No ibis, coupled with a 25mm lens felt challenging but also very freeing from perfectionism and especially rewarding. Four internal batteries lasted for 30min of material so I came to appreciate every time I pressed the recording button. In the edit I was grateful for every stable shot that DID get recorded and not screwed up by an empty battery. I got "full" four batteries waiting to fool me again. Maybe tonight. Last weeks magical night during blue hour with the Bmpcc and a Zeiss Tevidon 25mm:

hey we’re actually posting our work on here again, finally! 

some nice looking stuff there marty!

13 hours ago, kye said:

OG BMPCC and 45-150mm f4-5.6 zoom...

The cinema flows from the people through the equipment into the edit.

No excuses.

while it looks decent, i do think this is incredibly vapid

Thank you very much for your kind words, guys! @Emanuel @PPNS It feels very special to participate in a lively moment through the process of filmmaking and it can be even moreso satisfying to me in these little etudes and micro shorts.

Last year I was testing the LX10. In 4K it's a 2/3" camera because of the extra crop. I had been ignoring it when I got it two and a half years ago because I found colour to be awful. Then I saw a few video poems by Harrison Kraft who filmed in Vivid profile. Now I find it to be a Rec709 marvel with sometimes harsh highlights but with legit and effectively involving color after color grading. It's a quirky camera too but a marvel on its own right, with a beautiful lens infront of it.