Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

The GX8 (announced in July 2015) was AFAIK the first m43 camera with a 20Mp sensor. I almost bought one at the end of 2015 when Panasonic had a double-cashback promotion running, but didn't as there was no sensor-shift stabilization for video (lens OIS plus EIS for FHD, only lens OIS for 4k), so decided to wait for full video IBIS with dual-IS - eventually buying a G80 when it came out in autumn 2016.

That said, whenever I've played with a GX8 in camera stores, I've always liked it (it has a nice 'premium' feel) and thought about buying it used a few times - partly for its large vari-angle viewfinder.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 4 weeks later...

AF question!

i’ve got the video AF working pretty well most of the time but I’m not getting the same consistency when photographing people at events (when there are multiple people and things changing quickly). 
What settings is everybody using? CAF o single AF? One area or something different? Any help is appreciated!

On 6/29/2024 at 11:35 AM, Thpriest said:

AF question!

i’ve got the video AF working pretty well most of the time but I’m not getting the same consistency when photographing people at events (when there are multiple people and things changing quickly). 
What settings is everybody using? CAF o single AF? One area or something different? Any help is appreciated!

On DFD cameras single AF it's the only reliable method to aquire focus and then manual or hiperfocal.

3 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Thanks Davide but I’m asking about the S5mk2. I’m not sure if that’s still the best way to go or CAF is better.

I use my S5ii's with default settings without CAF, but with face & eye switched on.

Zero AF issues and I rely on my AF a lot of the time.

20 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I use my S5ii's with default settings without CAF, but with face & eye switched on.

Zero AF issues and I rely on my AF a lot of the time.

Ok, Single shot? I think i have human rather than face and eye. I’ll need to change that! I usually use one area expanded or whole area.

AFC

1 area +

eye face body

I use it to acquire focus and usually just let it do it's thing.

If I feel the scene is a bit confusing or there's any danger of it losing focus, I'll flick the lens to manual focus.

If it's a long form thing like a static set up for a ceremony, manual focus obviously.

Entrances, exits etc, AF.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

AFC

1 area +

eye face body

I use it to acquire focus and usually just let it do it's thing.

If I feel the scene is a bit confusing or there's any danger of it losing focus, I'll flick the lens to manual focus.

If it's a long form thing like a static set up for a ceremony, manual focus obviously.

Entrances, exits etc, AF.

Is that photo or video? 
For video I feel I have it under control. I flick between CAF and MF. 
It’s photos when I’m at a fast moving event when I struggle. I think that you recommend using single shot AF there rather than CAF unless I’m mistaken!