DJI Pocket 3?

sanveer

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I have not even seen one video with the DJI that looked close to anything I would consider good.

Knowing that DJI devices are capable of a nice and workable image for different delivery goals, this is a testament to the lack of will or ability of the videomakers.

As written earlier, it's natural because the use is basically in hands of casual shooters.

The focus should be centered here on the capabilities of the features and performance of the device itself, not the skills or goal of the individuals behind. Let alone the question of taste outside now.

I haven't bought one yet but it is something I won't be able to ignore. This doesn't mean it is a replacement for anything other than the segment it is.

Some other trouble I am used to read over these same pages is to compare apples to oranges. It doesn't make sense at all to me. You cannot compare a bike with a car.

:- )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That´s pretty much what I stated.🙂 @Emanuel Footage so far does not represent what the camera and sensor should quiet possibly be able capable off. But then it does not make sense for myself to study footage which does not give any hints to draw conclusions from regarding image quality. If I would, I´d had to neglect this camera´s image quality completely by what I´ve been coming across so far.

But I´ve seen pretty nice 10bit HLG / Log footage in their drones. So I expect the Pocket not to disappoint in the image department with its 1" sensor. If wrong, that would be surprising and, well, kinda disappointing. But no big deal. Disappointment would be a strong word. Not met assumptions would be the better way to put it.

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As well as the add on wide angle and anamorphic lenses, it does have a decent virtual zoom with a good ergonomic operation using the thumbtack.

Its range is dependent on your resolution of course but for the purpose as a travel camera its pretty good.

No doubt, and these options are definitely worth pointing out.

For me though, I prefer a much larger range of focal lengths for travel.  I'm sure you know this stuff far better than I, but for @SRV1981 and others, here are some thoughts..

I'm not far enough into the film theory, but I know they shoot documentaries and ENG with zooms for a reason, and I suspect my reasons for wanting that flexibility is the same as theirs.  I shot travel for a couple of years with a 35mm FOV being the main lens, and after a while I noticed a same-same kind of look to the footage.  I noticed this same look when iPhone video first got popular but it only had one focal length, and the same for action-camera-only videos.  

My analysis of award winning documentaries and travelogues showed me two critical things about the cinematography:
1) the shots were nice, but not incredible
2) the way they were used in the edit was what made the final product really great

I was also amazed at how many shots there were, and their variety.  We all know that the average shot length of today's media is around the 2-4s (with 4s being on the slow side), which is 1400-700 shots for a 45 minute episode.  This is easy to achieve if you don't want the shots to be that different from each other, but if you want variety and you want them to be interesting, you either need to go to a large number of locations or you need a zoom.  

The average vantage point will potentially have a large number of interesting compositions..  the wide shot of course, the low-angle wide and the high-angle wide might also be interesting, but beyond that it's about zooming in to interesting details.  Due to compression at longer focal lengths you can also juxtapose different foreground and background elements by getting closer and wider or further away and zooming in.

For travel, your ability to "zoom with your feet" is often severely limited, and you have to shoot from where you are allowed to be:

• At the zoo or the safari park, you can't go into the lions cage and walk up to the lion to get a close-up
  • On the top level of the hop-on-hop-off bus you're not allowed to stand up when the bus is moving.. so the choice is either shooting the wide shot only (which might include the people next to you), or zooming and getting all kinds of compositions
  • My shot of the pope giving a Sunday address at the Vatican would have been a shot of a tiny speck in a window of a rather grand building if I'd only had the wide, but thanks to the 10x zoom I had on that trip I am zoomed in enough that you could see his facial expressions
  • Any landscape photographer will tell you that having a telephoto is wonderful because all mountains in the distance look small with the wide but the tele is how you make them look big
  • Any time there's an animal - birds, squirrels, monkeys, etc...   often you want the close up but don't want to get close to them, or they don't want to get close to you
  • etc etc

The online world seems reluctant to look at or learn from the professionals, who often have hundreds or thousands of times the experience and insight that the online crowd has.  Or, if they do, they only pay attention to what Deakins might say about shooting a feature film.

But travel isn't a movie set - it's real life and the doco shooters use different equipment for a reason.  
Ignore their experience to your own detriment.

• Super Members

And yet the FZ2000/2500 that is the camera for ticking every single one of these boxes can’t get arrested.

Same sensor size as the Super 16 film format that was used in classic BBC travel docs such as Palin’s Around The World In 80 Days but with an optically stabilised zoom with a huge range, internal ND and without the flightcases.

Cheaper than the iPhone as well.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

The FZ also offers downsampled HD besides its cropped 4K. HD resolution is perfect like on the GH5, also offering high bitrates of 100 mbps inter and 200 mbps intra codecs for HD up to 60p. @BTM_Pix Also, no dubious software "helpers", unlike the ipohne. But unlike me and most of us, you know that by first hand.:)

I was using the 200 mbps HD intra for these which gives the added bonus of extra at the wide end and a lot more reach at the tele end.

And the stabilisation is easily good enough to hand hold even at 500-600mm equivalents.

The amount of different shot size coverage you can get out of this camera as a consequence is ridiculous.

MonacoCollageRedux.thumb.jpg.405d7a24518bbc6f1133e90ca6c3bd90.jpg

Very nice shots and great selection! Did you get to edit these into a video? @BTM_Pix

Would love to see some motion, but I am also happy with the sneak peak and stills, of course.:)

I have been satisfied with the color science and texture rendering of the G6 and G7 in HD. It was a bit tricky to find the secret sauce for grading the G6, which lied in taming the oversaturated tones and a bit of shifting some hues. I imagine the FZ to be a great performer in the color department with some beautiful HD due to its readout mode, downsampling and high bitrates. The LX15 has the same sensor and some beautiful color after grading but only low bit rates in HD.

Here is another piece by Harrison Kraft who inspired me to honour my LX15 and made me to really appreciate this camera and to realize what it is capable of.

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Very nice shots and great selection! Did you get to edit these into a video? @BTM_Pix

Would love to see some motion, but I am also happy with the sneak peak and stills, of course.:)

They'll be on a hard drive but I wouldn't hold your breath as both the drive and the camera are in a different country than I am and won't be to hand for a good few months.

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

And yet the FZ2000/2500 that is the camera for ticking every single one of these boxes can’t get arrested.

Same sensor size as the Super 16 film format that was used in classic BBC travel docs such as Palin’s Around The World In 80 Days but with an optically stabilised zoom with a huge range, internal ND and without the flightcases.

Cheaper than the iPhone as well.

We've discussed this a bunch of times. What an amazing camera. After my 5D, it's one of my favorite cameras I have ever owned. If they upgraded this camera with internal ProRes, I'd preorder it. I also wouldn't mind a smaller lens, even if I lost a touch from the long end. The ProRes 1080p out of the GH6 and S5iiX, I've tested, looks damn near as good as their 4K.

But even as is, most people do not need much more. I remember one of my favorite features is the touch to slow motion. I'm sure you remember but you can set a button for slow motion and while recording, push the button and it will ease into slow motion. That feature is right out of old Super 8 cameras.

Just to be clear, as long as you hold the button pushed in, the footage will be in slow motion, when you release it, it goes back to regular motion. Such a cool feature that no other camera has.

Here's a video I shot with the camera many moons ago. This video just demonstrates the camera in slow motion, not while using the push to slow function. Looking back, I'd probably make the grade a touch less brown, but it was kind of a cold, brown day...

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, mercer said:

If they upgraded this camera with internal ProRes, I'd preorder it.

The newer pro camcorder versions of the FZ such as the HC-X2 have internal 4:2:2 10 bit now.

38 minutes ago, mercer said:

I also wouldn't mind a smaller lens, even if I lost a touch from the long end

Yeah something more like the XC10/15 lens range with the internal 10 bit 4:2:2 would be eminently doable for them.

But they won’t because they hate us 😉

Panasonic did actually release a new bridge camera this week though (FZ82D) but they’ve gone with a 2/3” sensor and a quite insane 20-1200mm equivalent lens!

I doubt it signals a refresh of the FZ200/2500 but you never know.

On 7/4/2024 at 6:54 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Got a Neewer kit, looks like they are ok.

The filter should be very low profile, if not the gimbal would not turn the head to storage properly (the DJI ones AFAIK have this problem).

I wonder why there would be such a design flaw from the DJI ND filters. 

What's the disadvantage of keeping DJI's ND filters on the whole time?

17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was using the 200 mbps HD intra for these which gives the added bonus of extra at the wide end and a lot more reach at the tele end.

And the stabilisation is easily good enough to hand hold even at 500-600mm equivalents.

The amount of different shot size coverage you can get out of this camera as a consequence is ridiculous.

MonacoCollageRedux.thumb.jpg.405d7a24518bbc6f1133e90ca6c3bd90.jpg

I was thinking about these exact images when I was writing my earlier post about the advantages of zooms!

Such a great example - you have a seat and that's it.  To only have a wide angle at such an event would make a very sad looking video.

I also think there's a self-centredness of some kind when shooting with only a wide, especially with a gimbal shot where the camera is moving.  I don't quite know how to describe it, but it's sort-of like the POV footage from a member of law-enforcement, even if you edited it together so that the person wearing the camera was never seen or heard in the footage every shot would still be whispering "this is where I was, this is what I saw", like the camera person is looming invisibly over all the footage.  
Contrast this to using a zoom and grabbing a variety of shots, the shots are about the things actually visible in the images, with the shooter no longer being the focus of attention.

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It's probably just a turn-of-phrase I'm not familiar with, but what did you mean by "can't get arrested"?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, kye said:

It's probably just a turn-of-phrase I'm not familiar with, but what did you mean by "can't get arrested"?

It means someone or something is unrecognised or unsuccessful to the extent that, for example, they could run stark bollock naked down the high street without garnering any attention or interest.

So, all about irrelevance rather than immunity for US Presidents.

3 hours ago, kye said:

"this is where I was, this is what I saw", like the camera person is looming invisibly over all the footage.  

This is how it felt for me with the seemingly to be onetaker "Birdman". Look at me, I´m the D. O. P.! It worked- the dop got an Oscar for his work. 🙂  I liked the film but no second watch planned. Though now, that you have written about the unconsciously visible camera I might feel unconsciously interested to look for it and revise the film again.:)