Winter’s Mirror – Sony A7S and Atomos Shogun

Andrew Reid

recording a 4k pro res frame is twice as straining as recording a 1080p pro res frame.  So they did drop the ball.  They should have made media specifically for the unit that is guaranteed to work.  They still can.  It should not allow 4k recording onto ssds that are not fully tested and approved.  It seems that they rushed the device to the market, even though it was like 7 months delayed.  A few extra months to iron out the issues would have been a better move.  But now they can update the firmware and disable 4k mode unless you are using tested devices.  

They still can save the day.  

When the PIX240 came out it had macro blocking issues recording avid dnxhd and when recording Pro Res 4444 it had corrupt frames as well.  

But people forgive as long as the company handles it quickly and gently.  

But in the meantime, there's that little odyssey 7q that is waiting for you - he's not upset, he's disappointed that the shogun got a lot of love from small camera enthusiasts.  But he's backed by a team of super caring and smart engineers.  He wants you to love him again.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One thing I'm surprised that more people aren't trying is Sony's own LA-EA4 A Mount to E Mount adapter.. in theory you could attach the Tamron 24-70 in Alpha mount to the A7S. I literally have seen no one try this.. but if the lens works at all I'm willing to bet it will be less buggy and cheaper overall than the Metabones.

Of course you'd have to find a suitable stabilized alternative to the 70-200 as well (would have to be a Sigma or Tamron in this case).

​Actually that would be Sigma only for stabilized lenses as Tamron does not stabilize the Sony versions as the A mount cameras have IBIS.     There may be one or two but I am not aware of any.     Anyone know of any Sony mount stabilized Tamrons?