If I could only have ONE CAMERA

zlfan

Agreed that FLC is going to be pretty rough for sales of FilmConvert and Dehancer.  I'm just waiting for YouTubers to start coming out with their FLC "packs" for sale.

But really, I was just pushing back on the general concept that the R1MX has some sort of magical image because it has some super-OLPF that exactly mimics "film," whatever that is.

Of course, a bunch of the rest of the above rant was weird too - like questioning whether "David Fischer [sic]" would choose a C70, a camera designed for fast run & gun operation - when Fincher famously does 50-100 takes of each scene and barely ever moves the camera.  On a DF picture, for the most part, the camera and lights get set in a place and are expected to stay there for hours while they shoot endless takes.  It doesn't matter a bit how heavy the camera is or how long it takes to set it up for the next scene.

The corollary to that is if you're on a small crew and have a location for only 1 day and you have 5 pages to get through and a mix of interior/exterior shots, it's generally better to choose a lighter camera which can be operated quickly.  If doing that, I'd think you were crazy if you said you were shooting the r1mx, a camera that is famously inflexible (needs specific lighting), heavy (needs bigger/heavier tripod and harder to move), and prone to randomly rebooting or crashing throughout the day.

It's all a matter of which compromises.  That's it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Agreed that FLC is going to be pretty rough for sales of FilmConvert and Dehancer.  I'm just waiting for YouTubers to start coming out with their FLC "packs" for sale.

Yeah, it's even got a tick-box that disables all the parts that can't be turned into a LUT, so unless I'm mistaken, there will be a zillion LUT packs based on FLC over the next years.

Of course, with FLC part of Resolve, the market for LUT packs might drop considerably, as getting a film-like look is about to go from quite difficult in V18 to literally only a few clicks in V19.

Part of me is a bit annoyed that FLC will make it so easy, because whenever I create a decent filmic grade it's not valued much anymore, but of course skills are always useful and I can adapt.

If I could have only one camera... After going out filming with the Bmpcc 6 days in a row I must say, Wow factor and big-to-small Fail factor have been provided generously by this little camera. I had mentioned the S1H as my cam of choice but here we go, Bmpcc won me over, S1H has not even been looked at for my week of golden hour roaming and filming. Still, "that one camera" has not been made for me yet.

Bmpcc with reliable power monitoring, 1h recording time and focus zoom assist would make it such a much better camera.

2.5K 60p and full Hdmi, now that's "that one camera" category for me.

A 4K M43 fairchild sensor with additional S16 mode and various aspect ratios would make it my "perfect camera". I'd sing that silly song like the camera conspiracies guy with all of the verses, but only once.:)

I don't need super low light, nor Ibis nor what not.

It's amazing how close manufacturers get but yet how long they keep resisting to deliver the essential pocketable camera.

The og pocket and the bmmcc have the best image quality for the painterly look and for small pockets and for small pockets worth of money.

All these cameras, so close yet so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a look at my footage of 5d3ml using 5.7k anamorphic or 3.5k crop mode pixel by pixel 14 bit color lossless ml raw. 

I cannot help smiling. the color is the best, the resolution is good enough even to the current standard. only f3 with the Zeiss lens can reach to similar level in terms of color. 

color, color, color. 

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

I took a look at my footage of 5d3ml using 5.7k anamorphic or 3.5k crop mode pixel by pixel 14 bit color lossless ml raw. 

I cannot help smiling. the color is the best, the resolution is good enough even to the current standard. only f3 with the Zeiss lens can reach to similar level in terms of color. 

color, color, color. 

Every time I see a blind camera test, I am looking at the colours.  It's not something I decided to do, or have to focus on, it's what I naturally find myself looking at.  Especially skin-tones.

All the blind tests I've done, where I've done them blind, taken notes, and then scored and ranked the cameras, before looking at the results to see what was what, I correctly chose things in descending order of price.  There was one test where I put the Alexa lower than cheaper cameras, but it had a strange green tint to it that the other cameras didn't have, so I suspect something was wrong with the test.

The colour and texture of skin tones is about 40% of the grade I think.  Drastically under-rated, and barely discussed with any depth.

23 minutes ago, kye said:

Every time I see a blind camera test, I am looking at the colours.  It's not something I decided to do, or have to focus on, it's what I naturally find myself looking at.  Especially skin-tones.

All the blind tests I've done, where I've done them blind, taken notes, and then scored and ranked the cameras, before looking at the results to see what was what, I correctly chose things in descending order of price.  There was one test where I put the Alexa lower than cheaper cameras, but it had a strange green tint to it that the other cameras didn't have, so I suspect something was wrong with the test.

The colour and texture of skin tones is about 40% of the grade I think.  Drastically under-rated, and barely discussed with any depth.

totally agree. color and skin tones are essential and critical. 

if 5d3 does not have the magic lantern hack, it is nothing. with the hack, it is a 14-bit color depth raw camera, I doubt if there is another camera having this feature. Alexa is 14 bit, but most of the time people use prores4444 instead of arriraw.