Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Maybe someone can look up the price in England as they are not in Europe.

I think the hard of thinking voted for the UK to leave the union rather than the actual continent, although they might actually think both things happened.

The UK price is £2699.00 including VAT.

The import duty for digital cameras is 0% and the VAT is 20%.

So the price is £2249.16 excluding VAT.

Dollar converted price for buying one in the US at $2599 is £1970.00.

So to legally import the camera into the UK after buying it in a shop in the US would be £1970.00 + 0% import duty + 20% VAT.

Which is £2364.00 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ade towell said:

Z6iii is £2699 in the UK, that's 3193 Euros - harsh

Can get the Z8 for £2840 from Panamoz - grey market but comes with a 3 year UK warranty that they will actually honour

Two things going on here... a Brexit cost, and an inflationary cost. We have had something like 20% price rises in just over 2 years and since before covid some prices have doubled... To cope, we have had some increases in wages as well.

Consumer goods prices and wages are linked. It's why online subscriptions for example cost less depending on the country.

Also if the UK Nikon marketing, sales, distribution, and then on top of that WEX store staff are all needing their 10-20% pay rise it will pump up the price of cameras and lenses.

Since Brexit UK has decoupled from the third largest economic region on the planet, so no longer enjoys the economies of scale as much as it used to, and shipping has become much more expensive.

The currency has also taken a hit vs the USD but the yen I believe is quite weak? So that doesn't really explain, or shouldn't explain the raw deal.

VAT is still very high and should really come down.

Anyway it all amounts to it being £300 too much at launch for mid-range camera and they will be hoping the better than R6 II / A7 IV specs on the video side and the long pent up demand for a proper Z6 upgrade gets it over the line.

What I think they have also accounted for is future discounts. They know it won't be at £2699 for very long.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the hard of thinking voted for the UK to leave the union rather than the actual continent, although they might actually think both things happened.

The UK price is £2699.00 including VAT.

The import duty for digital cameras is 0% and the VAT is 20%.

So the price is £2249.16 excluding VAT.

Dollar converted price for buying one in the US at $2599 is £1970.00.

So to legally import the camera into the UK after buying it in a shop in the US would be £1970.00 + 0% import duty + 20% VAT.

Which is £2364.00 

There we go then... a £300+ rip off Britain surcharge.

The hard of thinking are currently out in force, seeking solutions from the very liars who sold them the current malaise... i.e. the Reform Party Brexiteers.

It'll be interesting to see what their Liz Truss school of economics does to prices if they ever get a sniff of real power.

By comparison how much is the Z8 in Japan and how much is a flight?

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here's my take on it

https://www.eoshd.com/news/nikon-z6-iii-lands-with-video-aplomb-but-only-partial-excitement-for-photographers/

When it comes out at 3000 euros, you will be much better off spending the $100 less for a used Z8!

After the price depreciates by about 2000 euros in 2 years, then it's a different proposition, I'll take ten.

Once it hits the price of the Z6 (still nice BTW and better lowlight + DR for photos), sitting on eBay for £500 then I might even by an eleventh.

But even then, I'm not sure I will need 6K/60p or want to put up with the file sizes in RAW. Which begs the question why bother, what else is on the table that it offers?

And the RAW codecs just don't have that RAW look that a proper Cinema DNG codec has on a proper RAW camera like the Sigma Fp-L, especially in terms of noise and grain texture.

I also think that the Japanese keep making cameras and images cleaner, sharper, better...

Whereas the artist in me is starting to get very bored of that and looking for something different and more analogue.

On the lenses side it's the same.

So no the Z6 III doesn't really float my boat, especially not for 3000 euro.

When the Sony A1 II comes out at $6k by the way, keep an eye on A1 OG prices... These may well be close to the Z6 III and Z8 soon.

That 8K H.265 500Mbit/s 10bit 422 it does is the nicest one of all... and this is coming from an ex-Z9 owner....it is better than the 6K Z6 III N-RAW... Yet with an essential plus....a much more manageable size of recording.

Can you elaborate how the 8K H265 files from the A1 are better than the 6K Z6 III N-Raw or Proresraw ?
Despite the bump of resolution (6K vs 8K), I would have thought the internal raw of the Z6-III was better because of the unprocessed image (no NR or extra sharpening).
I never used the A1 but I had the A7SIII, A7III and A7IV, I don't like how Sony uses details filtering like temporal noise reduction and sharpening. This is why I prefer old Panasonic cameras like the S1, Panasonic has added too much video processing on their recent cameras like on the S5II.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

There we go then... a £300+ rip off Britain surcharge.

Blue passports though and so, so much sovvvvrinteeee.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Base price is £2473.02

So, the legal* import cost would be £2473.02 + 0% duty + 20% VAT.

£2967.00 total.

Versus £3299.00 

Its our old friend the £300 again.

* I've seen an awful lot of European people queuing at the tax free counter to buy cameras in Japan over the years but, curiously, never seen anyone rocking up to the Customs counter at European airports on the way back to declare their purchases.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Base price is £2473.02

So you get a Z8 and a free £226 towards the Tokyo flight.

I don't think WEX Manchester can match that.

Then again for 2.5k you can get a lightly used Fuji GFX 100

If the EOS R6 Mark II had a proper mount and lenses I would consider that used as well, as WEX do it mint for £1799!

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Beritar said:

Can you elaborate how the 8K H265 files from the A1 are better than the 6K Z6 III N-Raw or Proresraw ?

N-RAW isn't unprocessed really.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/is-n-raw-real-raw-nikon-z9-under-the-spotlight-at-eoshd/

I found it a bit underwhelming vs the best H.265 10bit.

Given the fact the file sizes are so enormous you would think the benefits would be much larger, especially when pushing the image around as much as I did in resolve.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So you get a Z8 and a free £226 towards the Tokyo flight.

Or £826 if you, erm, don't go to that desk at the airport when you get back.

Not that anyone would dream of doing that of course.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Or £826 if you, erm, don't go to that desk at the airport when you get back.

Not that anyone would dream of doing that of course.

Much like every other government service in the UK it is never staffed anyway 🙂

Unlike the terrifying one in Berlin.

That Z8 + £226 flight voucher is for the price of a £2699 Z6 III at WEX by the way.

I know what I'd choose!!

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Just wait and see how much it cost to use an ambulance in the US, you get 4 Z6iii for one trip. LOL

In the UK you could use the cameras to make a feature length documentary about the stage managed decline of the NHS to while away the time it takes for the ambulance to actually arrive.

12 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

As for DR, I will wait for CineD lattitude test, Nikon implementation of their Nlog is so contrasty that it gives very bad result.

Did you watch Gerald's review? He tested DR in Nlog and h.265 on different timelines (4K vs 6K), with and without noise reduction, and even with different log curves; the DR is better if you apply a Vlog (Panasonic) curve to NRaw.

44 minutes ago, kye said:

Nice shots. Colors look nice too. The whole time I was watching scared that she'd fall. I genuinely surprised she never wore a helmet. She wiped out pretty good a couple of times (of the times that made it into the final edit).

8 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Did you watch Gerald's review? He tested DR in Nlog and h.265 on different timelines (4K vs 6K), with and without noise reduction, and even with different log curves; the DR is better if you apply a Vlog (Panasonic) curve to NRaw.

Yep, and this is why I said to go and watch latitude test on CineD. Before the CineD lab test I did not understand why people were saying Canon was faking its DR by using NR on its RAW files, now I know. Imatest is a synthetic test, you just have to apply a little NR on your footage and it might think the shadows are super clean. Look at Gerald's test of the Z8 h265 test, the thing is he got like an extraordinary number that he found out was due to extra NR on the z8 h265 footage and at the start of the file, that the imatest was fooled. 

Now look at the lab test at CineD. You will see above that the Xyla/Imatest result aren't that good compared to most other cameras, but watch the latitude test below. While most Sony sensors even the Venice 2 are at best 8 stops of latitude the Z9 is a solid eight and room for nine!!! https://www.cined.com/nikon-z-9-n-raw-lab-test-fw-3-00-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude/

Same for the Sony Burano, Which is even better as it reaches 10 stops of DR, the first camera to reach the Alexa Alev classic DR.  https://www.cined.com/sony-burano-8k-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-exposure-latitude/

You can see clearly when you analyze the different camera test, that the latitude test is much more real life DR of a sensor than the synthetic Xyla/imatest measurement. 

7 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Imatest is a synthetic test, you just have to apply a little NR on your footage and it might think the shadows are super clean.

Right, but that's why he tested with and without NR. Sony applies NR in-camera and you can't remove it, so he added some NR in Resolve to mimic what Sony was doing for a more fair comparison. But he showed both the super-high Imatest result plus the "real world" lower actual DR you'd get on the Z6iii.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Which is a scenario I have considered, ie, book a 2 week bucket list trip to Japan and upon arrival, buy the new camera, bin the packaging, shoot the shit out of it, come home.

And not pay the UK/EU import duty because we already get slammed for enough tax as it is so they can do one.

And if any tax officials from the UK or EU are reading this, I do not actually have a flight booked and you can fuck off even if I did 😜

8 hours ago, John Matthews said:

This is what I keep finding in France:

1248986174_Screenshot2024-06-18at05_25_50.thumb.png.6dc531d1b0cfd45653bd695e928be084.png

The pricing is also consistent with the Nikon ZF, which is also $700 more expensive (after conversion). There's no doubt about it- Nikon asks a lot more from Europeans and seems to be far more competitive in the USA. It's not unheard of though. You can get an iMac for $1200 at B&H or the same one for about $450 more in Europe. The Sony A7iv is $2500 at B&H but not much more in Europe (2500 euros). I think it's really about company policy.

What confuses me about pricing is that the Z6ii was launched at 2200 euros and $2000 respectively. With the Z6iii, Nikon is really going out of the "low-end full frame" market by bumping up the MSRP to 3000 euros. I'd always thought Nikon was more of a value brand, bang for the buck over Canon. I don't know what to think. Maybe there will be another low-end FF camera from Nikon?

I am seeing the price of the Zf already quite discounted at 2100 Euro (Some site I don't know even have it at 1700 Euro). I don't know if it is sale period or normal price now, because it is 350 euro below launched price. My guess is that Nikon is putting high launch prices for early buyers and true prices tend to come 6 month/1 year after launch. So it depends on each and everyone patience, as true price tend to settle after these first months. 

https://www.idealo.fr/prix/203267232/nikon-z-f-boitier.html