Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Grabbin a camera, going out and having fun with your friends" (at 43min 22sec). Great watch. Reminds me a lot of my video tape days, makes me wonder about my 15 years long break from video back then, makes me wonder about so many things. In 2015 I got back to video with hugely improved tech. I´ve had my waves of momentum since then. I still got my old svhs camera. It shall be a reminder of old dreams and of new dreams to go for. best and cheers

I've just published a YouTube video with my Nikon Z6 III sensor readout speed measurements. It also provides some background information about the my crowd-source rolling shutter project on GitHub.

On 7/3/2024 at 5:55 AM, gethin said:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon Z 6III

I was assuming the 24mp sensor would give me better video dynamic range than the z8 (and maybe nicer hightlight rolloff), but this isn't too promising.  

Really am starting to think about moving to L-mount.  Have a much greater range of cameras to choose from

IF I was you, I would wait a little bit until a CineD lab test. As shown with the Z9 test, between synthetic benchmark and real life latitude test, the result can be very different. Same for the Sony Burano which with the Z9 scored poorly in the imatest test, were for Nikon about the highest Sony based sensor camera with 8 to 9 stop (Even better than the Sony Venice 2), and The Burano, which with its 10 stops latitude, is the first camera to equal the original Arri Alev sensor. 

On 7/3/2024 at 3:55 AM, gethin said:

Really am starting to think about moving to L-mount.  Have a much greater range of cameras to choose from

Kinda…but not really.

Nikon has: Zf, Z6III, Z8, Z9

L Mount has: the super expensive Leica SL3, the old and lacking in so many ways, FP pairing from Sigma and Lumix has the S5II/X. Plus the soon to be replaced S1 line with the S1R long since out of production and the others, what 5+ years old now?

Now if we’re talking end of this year or next, then yes, with what will probably be a new S1 line (or single camera at least), I think the balance might be addressed. But until then…

And don’t get me wrong, I am an L Mount user (3 of my 4 working cameras), but the S5II/X is really the only current ‘pro’ camera that could arguably be recommended.

New Z6III over an S5II? Maybe. Not really looked at it other than for stills and for that, easily a Nikon win for me.

And I haven’t included the Lumix S9 as it’s a toy camera only a complete muppet of a pro would use…which is why I have one on preorder and should be my main workhorse by the end of this month 😉

Horses for courses and all that and I don’t know your needs, but blank slate, I’d go Nikon for my needs right now. But as I don’t have a blank slate and have to write my own checks, a 75% Lumix, 25% Sony mix it is.

Unless the Sony fails to deliver this weekend and then that 25% will revert back to Nikon…

On 7/3/2024 at 11:55 AM, gethin said:

And yet the z6iii and z8 are better than any L mount options 

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

L Mount has: the super expensive Leica SL3, the old and lacking in so many ways, FP pairing from Sigma and Lumix has the S5II/X. Plus the soon to be replaced S1 line with the S1R long since out of production and the others, what 5+ years old now?

yep I was thinking of what's on the horizon and including the blackmagic cameras.  But yes I'll for sure wait for real world video dynamic range testing before making a final decision (although with the range being limited for stills, It's still not a great fit for me).  

3 hours ago, D Verco said:

And yet the z6iii and z8 are better than any L mount options 

For now, I’d agree.

But these things always get leapfrogged and when the next gen Lumix and Sony appear…

But today, if I was going out shopping for my needs from scratch and had the necessary bag, I’d go with an all Z6III lineup for sure.

If I was invested as I am in 75% L Mount, I’d be very interested to see what they do next as ideally, I’d like to be 100% within a single system.

What stops me currently, cost aside?

Lenses.

For my needs, Canon has it, Sony has it, Nikon has it, Fuji has it…basically everyone except L Mount.

What is missing for me are 2 things:

Thing 1, the actual deal-breaker; no long fast zoom under 1kg. That happens any time, I’m in for good.

Thing 2, a ‘current’ camera from Lumix that is fantastic for stills. I hate the shutter feel and sound on the S5II and for me it’s a deal breaker for stills use, hence why I am currently with Sony. When a replacement for either the S1R or S1H appears, we’re covered, but Thing 1 still applies.

So for me, L Mount is one lens and one body away from being perfect.

The body will happen within 6 months, I am pretty sure.

The lens though is a massive issue for me and one I have wrestled with for the last 3 seasons.

On 7/3/2024 at 3:55 AM, gethin said:

I was assuming the 24mp sensor would give me better video dynamic range than the z8 (and maybe nicer hightlight rolloff), but this isn't too promising.  

Hmmm, seen a couple of reports now that DR at base ISO is quite a bit lower than the previous gen sensor Zf/Z6II.

This is a bit disappointing because until fairly recently, I had only one interest in the Z6III and that is it would essentially take the capability of the Zf but host it in a Z6 style body.

Catches up by around 640/800 ISO or thereabouts I believe which is at least something.

Any video capability was secondary to me and for my stills needs, it's gone backwards...

Yes, I wanted better/faster AF, one of my criticisms of the Z6II is that it's slooooooow compared with the Zf, but the handling of the Zf is terrible next to the Z6 style body. And when a battery grip is involved, that gap increases still further.

As an out and out 'sports' camera, sure, things have improved, but image quality, of which DR is a HUGE component for me, has gone backwards.

Which is partly why I went to Sony and an A7RV for my stills needs.

But having said that, my first job with the Sony did not go so well and after some modifications, I'm interested to see how this second job has gone. Downloading it right now and it will be make or break for this camera.

If it's the latter, then I'm not sure what I will do because if the Sony is not what I needed it to be and if the Z6III possibly is not the answer I hoped it would be, so maybe the Z8 or Z9 are possibilities...

We just seem to keep making a step forward and then having to also take a step back! For my needs anyway.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:52 AM, MrSMW said:

Hmmm, seen a couple of reports now that DR at base ISO is quite a bit lower than the previous gen sensor Zf/Z6II.

This is a bit disappointing because until fairly recently, I had only one interest in the Z6III and that is it would essentially take the capability of the Zf but host it in a Z6 style body.

Catches up by around 640/800 ISO or thereabouts I believe which is at least something.

Any video capability was secondary to me and for my stills needs, it's gone backwards...

Yes, I wanted better/faster AF, one of my criticisms of the Z6II is that it's slooooooow compared with the Zf, but the handling of the Zf is terrible next to the Z6 style body. And when a battery grip is involved, that gap increases still further.

As an out and out 'sports' camera, sure, things have improved, but image quality, of which DR is a HUGE component for me, has gone backwards.

Which is partly why I went to Sony and an A7RV for my stills needs.

But having said that, my first job with the Sony did not go so well and after some modifications, I'm interested to see how this second job has gone. Downloading it right now and it will be make or break for this camera.

If it's the latter, then I'm not sure what I will do because if the Sony is not what I needed it to be and if the Z6III possibly is not the answer I hoped it would be, so maybe the Z8 or Z9 are possibilities...

We just seem to keep making a step forward and then having to also take a step back! For my needs anyway.

I would advice anyone to wait a little bit. This is someone who did a latitude test with the Z6ii and 3 side by side for photo. My guess Raw video should be close. As can be seen, they are very close. Lowe, doesn't mean bad unless you are some youtuber in search of clicks. 

In his test, we are 3 above (Might be 2.5) stops, and 5 to 7 stops under depending on your noise detail tolerance. Now, if we go to CineD examples that include everything from GH5 to the Alexa 35. Some things to take into consideration is that I am refering to the LAB test lattittude which I think is much real life than the Imatest one. Secondly they test everything resized to 1080p and do apply some NR to see to what best level they can go. 

So, the least that z6iii is I would say to be about 2.5 above and 6 stops under. That would be among the best Sony sensor base Latitude test before the Burano. The Z9 was around those numbers. At best reduced to 1080p and NR you could be 3 above and 6 under, that is 9 stops that is Red raptor level, or even 3 to 7 under, that would be 10 stops and you are at original Alexa level!!! Now I don't know if it can be that good, because it is not exact same test and I am extrapolating at all. What is sure is that at 100 ISO, i think the original Z6 sensor was very very close to the Alexa. And so people don't think I am completely fabulizing, look at the latest test of the Burano, reaching about Alexa level https://www.cined.com/sony-burano-8k-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-exposure-latitude/

anyone

13 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

z6iii is I would say to be about 2.5 above and 6 stops under.

Tests show that 6 stop is borderline unusable and thats 14 bit. Nraw is 12bit and will be one stop worse. So I would say 2 stop over and 5 stop under with NR.

15 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I would advice anyone to wait a little bit. This is someone who did a latitude test with the Z6ii and 3 side by side for photo. My guess Raw video should be close. As can be seen, they are very close. Lowe, doesn't mean bad unless you are some youtuber in search of clicks.

Real world, I agree and that there probably isn't much in it.

I can see a difference though between the Zf/Z6III and the A7RV.

I am talking stills here as I said above. I use Lumix for video so this is purely stills.

And good news (for anyone that is interested!) and that is the A7RV passed and is now my 'Z6III'.

DR-wise, compared with the Nikon's, there is a noticeable increase. We're not talking massive margins because there aren't any, but noticeable.

Image quality-wise, barely anything, but it's there. I had ZERO issue with what the Nikon's were providing in this regard and  again, as above, I was looking to get the minimum capability spec-wise of the Zf but in a more ergo friendly body.

Colour science? I'd give that to the Nikon's. SOOC they are just 'better' than the Sony. In post, the Sony files look great, but just need more work and even then, ultimately, I'd say are about 95% of the Nikon files 'colour quality-wise'. 

AF is a step up over the Nikon's. The Z6II easily but also the Zf and that was to be expected. My keeper rate went up by quite a bit and any misses were pretty much me getting to grips with how the Sony AF system works.

Low-light is a win for the Nikon's, the Zf particularly. I expected this and may need to get one more lens with a faster aperture for lower light stuff as f/2.8 is fine with those 24mp Nikons but less so with the 61mp Sony.

Ergos, the Zf is not great and the Z6II marginally better than the A7RV with base plate, but all factors considered, the A7RV with the base plate is about as 'perfect' as I am going to get for my needs balancing; weight, size, ergos.

Finally, it uses my 3x Tamron lenses natively which is a good thing. Performance of them adapted on the Nikon's was pretty good, but a few lens correction issues were a bit of a nuisance.

Conclusion, would I swap it for a Z6III?

No...but it would not bother me if it was forced on me as the differences would be marginal, real world and that is probably the most important aspect in all these things, ie, not the on paper specs, or anyone's tests, or any other factor other than how does the thing work for you.

The only issue I'd have with the Z6III is my 3x lenses not being native and that is the single biggest factor and were they, would swing it for me back to the Nikon.

But as has always been my issue my preferred glass never seems to quite match my preferred bodies!! 🤪

• 1 month later...