Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zlfan said:

z6 iii's achilles' heel is ibis. otherwise, I probably will pull the trigger, as it has 6k raw 6p, 20 fps for 1000 frames, z-mount shortest flange distance. af seems good. 

Same here. With better IBIS, I would have pulled the trigger immediatly. The in camera Proresraw, which mean almost zero noise reduction and sharpening along with the 6K 60fps are really tempting.

54 minutes ago, Beritar said:

Same here. With better IBIS, I would have pulled the trigger immediatly. The in camera Proresraw, which mean almost zero noise reduction and sharpening along with the 6K 60fps are really tempting.

To me, reports of no overheating no less but price places it at the Z8 range, it's pricey for now IMO. It will come to the territory of $2K-2.5K soon, though... Then it will become harder to not buy it.

I've just purchased the BMCC6K-FF new for €1444.54... Pretty neat and impossible to miss it! ;- )

13 hours ago, Emanuel said:

To me, reports of no overheating no less but price places it at the Z8 range, it's pricey for now IMO. It will come to the territory of $2K-2.5K soon, though... Then it will become harder to not buy it.

I've just purchased the BMCC6K-FF new for €1444.54... Pretty neat and impossible to miss it! ;- )

how can you stabilize bmpcc 6k ff? 

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Here you have an example of it :- )

That doesn't look good to me at all...

It had the blur bursts, warping, also towards the end wasn't stabilised well with sort of jumpy and floaty motion.

Getting it right in-camera still matters for now, until AI can sort out this issue too.

• Super Members

Considering he was using 180deg shutter angle it’s actually not that bad.

Good thing about the gyro stabilisation like this in the BM and the Sony version cameras is that, unlike IBIS, it is non-destructive to the image so you can tweak it later.

That’s not only good for the now but it also means if someone does come up with a better method then you can re-process the files and rescue or improve shots.

With IBIS, those warps are there for good.

Yes, for gyro to work properly you need to be at 90 or 45 degree shutter and then add back the motion blur in post (Resolve can do it well). Another advantage of the gyro is that it reduces rolling-shutter artificats. Main drawback is that there's a crop.

If IBIS or gyro are not satisfactory, there's always steadicam, glidecam, or gimbal. I chose glidecam because I don't like having yet another device that requires batteries, and balancing on a glidecam is dead simple. But it's bigger/bulkier than a folding gimbal, and of course you can't adjust focus yourself since both hands need to be used on the glidecam; you'd need a wireless focus puller to work with you if you want to adjust focus. Not an issue for me as I only use wide lenses on the glidecam for maximum depth of field and try to maintain a constant distance from my subject.

i still think a good ibis is a must if going small. the reason i like olympus is because the whole system can be very small, due to the fact that the body, the lens are small, and there is no need for tripod, monopod, or steadicam, etc. 

on the other hand, even om-1's ibis seems not smooth enough for walking?  even so, as long as i can hold om-1 to have steady shots, smooth pans and tilts, i am happy. this is very good for travel, or stealthy news or events. 

20 minutes ago, zlfan said:

on the other hand, even om-1's ibis seems not smooth enough for walking?

Maybe it depends on how you walk; if you do the steadicam shuffle it's probably okay. I remember John Brawley used he EM1-Mark II on a bumpy snowmobile ride in one of his demo films for the camera and the footage came out quite smoothly.

1 hour ago, bjohn said:

Maybe it depends on how you walk; if you do the steadicam shuffle it's probably okay. I remember John Brawley used he EM1-Mark II on a bumpy snowmobile ride in one of his demo films for the camera and the footage came out quite smoothly.

very nice short sci-fi. 

On 6/18/2024 at 6:03 AM, kye said:

Skateboarders don't care about helmets, or safety of any kind whatsoever.

See the below video, which they spiced up with slow-motion........ and explosives.

Nice, I was there that day.

The heat from the explosions singed my arm hairs. Always inspiring to be around Spike and Ty Evans and the fun shenanigans they get into. That was a good day of skating with my friends, thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

Nice, I was there that day.

The heat from the explosions singed my arm hairs. Always inspiring to be around Spike and Ty Evans and the fun shenanigans they get into. That was a good day of skating with my friends, thanks for posting.

Wow..  "I was there" wasn't a reply I expected!

What else can you tell us about the shoot?  Anything that looks that crazy on film has got to have some stories that go with it!

8 hours ago, kye said:

Wow..  "I was there" wasn't a reply I expected!

What else can you tell us about the shoot?  Anything that looks that crazy on film has got to have some stories that go with it!

I grew up skating with all those guys in the 90’s and was around for a lot of the fun video shoots. Once Spike Jonze moved from skate videos to music videos and commercials, the production quality got crazy on the skate stuff. It was wild to watch us go from super 8/16 and good Mini DV video to Arri Cameras and the Phantom Flex. Plus full Hollywood production crews and amenities. 

the main thing on the “slow motion explosion day” was how the timing was hard to get for the explosions. You can see the scared reactions on a few of the guys as they land. A couple of them couldn’t hear for an hour or so after…