Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Grabbin a camera, going out and having fun with your friends" (at 43min 22sec). Great watch. Reminds me a lot of my video tape days, makes me wonder about my 15 years long break from video back then, makes me wonder about so many things. In 2015 I got back to video with hugely improved tech. I´ve had my waves of momentum since then. I still got my old svhs camera. It shall be a reminder of old dreams and of new dreams to go for. best and cheers

On 7/3/2024 at 5:55 AM, gethin said:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon Z 6III

I was assuming the 24mp sensor would give me better video dynamic range than the z8 (and maybe nicer hightlight rolloff), but this isn't too promising.  

Really am starting to think about moving to L-mount.  Have a much greater range of cameras to choose from

IF I was you, I would wait a little bit until a CineD lab test. As shown with the Z9 test, between synthetic benchmark and real life latitude test, the result can be very different. Same for the Sony Burano which with the Z9 scored poorly in the imatest test, were for Nikon about the highest Sony based sensor camera with 8 to 9 stop (Even better than the Sony Venice 2), and The Burano, which with its 10 stops latitude, is the first camera to equal the original Arri Alev sensor. 

On 7/3/2024 at 3:55 AM, gethin said:

Really am starting to think about moving to L-mount.  Have a much greater range of cameras to choose from

Kinda…but not really.

Nikon has: Zf, Z6III, Z8, Z9

L Mount has: the super expensive Leica SL3, the old and lacking in so many ways, FP pairing from Sigma and Lumix has the S5II/X. Plus the soon to be replaced S1 line with the S1R long since out of production and the others, what 5+ years old now?

Now if we’re talking end of this year or next, then yes, with what will probably be a new S1 line (or single camera at least), I think the balance might be addressed. But until then…

And don’t get me wrong, I am an L Mount user (3 of my 4 working cameras), but the S5II/X is really the only current ‘pro’ camera that could arguably be recommended.

New Z6III over an S5II? Maybe. Not really looked at it other than for stills and for that, easily a Nikon win for me.

And I haven’t included the Lumix S9 as it’s a toy camera only a complete muppet of a pro would use…which is why I have one on preorder and should be my main workhorse by the end of this month 😉

Horses for courses and all that and I don’t know your needs, but blank slate, I’d go Nikon for my needs right now. But as I don’t have a blank slate and have to write my own checks, a 75% Lumix, 25% Sony mix it is.

Unless the Sony fails to deliver this weekend and then that 25% will revert back to Nikon…