Nikon Z6III is coming.. as mini Z8

Eric Calabros

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No Z cameras have a s16 mode. I could see that changing with a Nikon that has bought RED, but I would still be surprised if it showed up in the Z6III. Do any FF mirrorless bodies have it? Canon does on their cinema cameras; but don't remember reading it as a feature on any Sony or Canon FF models.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:19 PM, zlfan said:

out of major companies, only z mount has a shorter flange distance than c mount. unfortunately, Nikon is not taking advantage of this. 

How do you mean that?

Many of the Z-mount Nikkors do have optical elements very close to the rear of the bayonet, so yes, they are taking advantage of the short flange distance in their optical designs.

On 6/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, hojomo said:

Do any FF mirrorless bodies have it?

I thought the FX3 had a Super 16 crop but maybe I'm thinking of the FX-30.

The new Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K (full-frame, L-mount) has a Super 16 crop, which has a decent readout rate (8.29 ms), almost as good as that of the Pocket 4K in Super 16 mode (7.98 ms).

The Ursa Mini 12K (which is Super 35) has the fastest Super 16 readout speed, in 4k mode, at 3.89 ms.

Panasonic S line has the option of a crop for pixel to pixel HD. It provides a width between 16mm format and S16, of about 11.4mm. Height is smaller than both, ca 6.4mm vs 7.46mm / 7.5mm.

I would love more cropping options on cameras, like S16, 2/3", 16mm, S16 width with 4 to 3 ratio and so on.

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

I thought the FX3 had a Super 16 crop but maybe I'm thinking of the FX-30.

The new Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K (full-frame, L-mount) has a Super 16 crop, which has a decent readout rate (8.29 ms), almost as good as that of the Pocket 4K in Super 16 mode (7.98 ms).

The Ursa Mini 12K (which is Super 35) has the fastest Super 16 readout speed, in 4k mode, at 3.89 ms.

Ursa mini 12k s16 mode may have >6k resolution. good to know. is ursa 12k lens mount flange distance shorter than c mount?

4 hours ago, Ilkka Nissila said:

How do you mean that?

Many of the Z-mount Nikkors do have optical elements very close to the rear of the bayonet, so yes, they are taking advantage of the short flange distance in their optical designs.

i want to use c mount lens on z mount cams. if they have s16 mode, there will be no vignette on wide angle c mount s16 lens. 

2 minutes ago, zlfan said:

Ursa mini 12k s16 mode may have >6k resolution. good to know. is ursa 12k lens mount flange distance shorter than c mount?

it is almost 8 k, like 6.5k to 7k. really nice. a s16 6.5k cam. this actually justify ursa 12k. s35 12k is niche requirement. but s16 6.5k is unique and has many potential requests. 

1 minute ago, bjohn said:

Good question, you'd have to look into it; the Ursas come with a choice of mounts: PL, EF, Nikon F/G if I remember correctly.

thank you for the info. this should be the landmark feature of ursa 12k, instead of buried in the s35 12k glory. there are pl mount s16 lenses, more expensive than c mount lenses. 

3 minutes ago, zlfan said:

it is almost 8 k, like 6.5k to 7k. really nice. a s16 6.5k cam. this actually justify ursa 12k. s35 12k is niche requirement. but s16 6.5k is unique and has many potential requests. 

if ursa 12k has the z mount, that will be delicious. 

2 minutes ago, zlfan said:

this should be the landmark feature of ursa 12k, instead of buried in the s35 12k glory. there are pl mount s16 lenses, more expensive than c mount lenses. 

They did advertise it but I haven't seen any Super 16 footage shot with this camera, a shame. I would love to use my Angénieux 17.5-70 Super 16 lens (in PL mount) on that camera; might try renting one just to test it.

6 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Good question, you'd have to look into it; the Ursas come with a choice of mounts: PL, EF, Nikon F/G if I remember correctly.

thank you very much. you should open a new topic about this. i mean about ursa 12k's different modes, especially s16 6.5k

1 minute ago, bjohn said:

They did advertise it but I haven't seen any Super 16 footage shot with this camera, a shame. I would love to use my Angénieux 17.5-70 Super 16 lens (in PL mount) on that camera; might try renting one just to test it.

bingo. that will be a killer combo. 

2 minutes ago, bjohn said:

low light may be the issue. but s16 lenses and format have their unique feelings. 6.5k is pretty good enough. 

1 minute ago, zlfan said:

low light may be the issue. but s16 lenses and format have their unique feelings. 6.5k is pretty good enough

I have used that Angénieux Super 16 zoom a fair bit on my Micro Cinema Camera and the original Pocket; neither of those cameras do well in low light but with careful noise reduction and crushing the blacks a bit you can get very usable footage in even dim light.

14 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

So Nikon Z6iii is going to get released on the 17th. 

Well it’s official now and we (those of us that are interested) have a date with units supposed to be available to purchase within a month.

Living in France, that will take a little longer as stockists whether brick & mortar or on-line will have to wake up and say, “Huh? What? A new camera? No one told us”.

Well they did, - just because they sent the info by email and not fax, does not mean Nikon HQ didn’t send it.

But I digress. I can’t see me not pre-ordering a single unit to replace my current stills combo of Z6ii and Zf.

Something like 15 shooting days into the combo, the simple summary is I need a single stills camera and not a pair and the capability of the Zf in the Z6ii body would be perfect as neither individually are ideal for my needs, the Z6ii just being too slow and the Zf being an ergonomic pain in the arse.

Alongside my all L Mount set up for video, it will be the first time I will be able to say I am finally happy with the combo of bodies and lenses for my needs.

And then, post season, November onwards, depending on what Lumix does with any S1 replacement, there are 3 contenders going forward:

A. All Nikon

B. All L Mount

C. Continue with the combo of Nikon + Tamron for stills plus Panny + Sigma for video, but maybe get an S9 to replace the S1H just to lighten the load which is the only requirement I still have.

Spec-wise, we have (for my needs) already reached the point where all boxes have been ticked.

My last remaining aim is to streamline and lighten the load wherever I can.

With Nikon + Tamron, I have achieved that so just need to do that now with L Mount. Or not. We shall see…