Lumix S9

Davide DB

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The discover that Pansonic used stock photos (even one from a Nikon Ambassador) in the S9 brochures is not helping either.

Thinking about this even further, that really just adds fuel to this fire.

It's pretty much a storm in a teacup though and this weeks media drama to be replaced next week by something equally as ephemeral (such as Gerald undoing himself), but they really are not doing themselves any favours with this launch are they.

Except for one thing and that is for it's ACTUAL MARKET, it's actually quite a good thing.

A little over-priced perhaps, but otherwise ticks a lot of boxes.

It wouldn't stop me from buying it if it's the right tool for me, despite what a bunch of hysteria queens think, do or say...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Maybe it's me, but I can't remember the releases of any camera manufacturer, but I think I'm not the only one to remember the S9.

I think the S9 marketing has worked then 😉.

Talking of remembering releases for the wrong reasons, something I remember from the original OM-1 launch was OMDS getting a professional filmmaker to use it for a promo video. Except it also included BTS footage showing the camera (as far as I could tell) rigged out with non-OMDS/Olympus lenses, matte box, cage etc. mounted on a tripod for some of the time, surrounded by a crew. It was the very opposite of the 'rugged outdoor adventure' usage the rest of the OM-1 marketing was pushing. They should have got someone much closer to the target market to make the video promo content, using OMDS lenses and showing off how good it can be hand-held. Content that potential customers can relate to and think 'yes, I could do that and the camera looks a good tool for it'.

3 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The discover that Pansonic used stock photos (even one from a Nikon Ambassador) in the S9 brochures is not helping either.

Tie this PR disaster with the Asahi reports that Panasonic camera division could be axed...

That's probably very common in all camera and smartphone promos. It may have to do with the AD Agencies and Panasonic's advertising division just be stupid, disorganized and lazy, instead of anything else.

Contrary to us assuming that the Great Gerald has dented Panasonic's image and given them a bad name, cause they didn't send a Rolls-Royce and a private jet to receive him, people seem to calling him out and others like him, who've suddenly become self appointed demi-Gods. On youtube, influencers are shameless deleting comments, but on regular forums and sites where it's discussed, the discussions actually highlight the problem quite succinctly. 

https://petapixel.com/2024/05/28/panasonic-reacts-to-controversy-concerning-its-lumix-s9-event/

These two guys have highlighted all issues with Panasonic. Which is a pretty long list, according to them. But there is a certain dignity and maturity to their review and criticism. Something obviously lacking in some others.

https://petapixel.com/2024/05/22/panasonic-s9-initial-review-small-pretty-and-confusing/

On 5/25/2024 at 10:17 PM, Ninpo33 said:

What about uncropped 4k/60p?

Internal ND?

Not that bothered with the former but I’ll give you the latter, - internal ND would indeed earn that title of ‘game changer’ for hybrid shooters who want to quickly and easily flip back and forth between stills and video with a single unit and minimum faffing around.

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

I truly hope my dreams come true and it is a S35 EVA2 with L Mount!!

Can't make any other sense to release an APS-C L Mount camera??? As it would freak out all the Panasonic MFT users!!!

Releasing a Medium Format camera in L Mount makes no sense???? Releasing a brand new mount is even more insane!!

Thus surely it must be a MFT camera???

(or it's a P&S, no mount at all) 

So by a process of elimination the most likely cameras would be a Panasonic GH7 or GX9mk2??? 

Maybe an extremely small outlier chance of something such as say a Panasonic BGH2 (i.e. a BGH1 but with the guts of a GH6 inside it instead) 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Thus surely it must be a MFT camera???

(or it's a P&S, no mount at all) 

So by a process of elimination the most likely cameras would be a Panasonic GH7 or GX9mk2??? 

Maybe an extremely small outlier chance of something such as say a Panasonic BGH2 (i.e. a BGH1 but with the guts of a GH6 inside it instead) 

I'd put it 50/50 an updated LX100 (as the Leica equivalent has recently been announced) or a successor to the S1R (related to the recent 60MP/8k video capable Leica SL3).

Unless of course Panasonic is intending to leave the upmarket-looking cameras to Leica as part of their collaboration agreements and concentrating the Panasonic brand on the 'value' and video-orientated end of the market? In which case maybe a GH7 or S2H?

I think a GX9-size/type m43 camera is least likely - it would be very close both in target market and release date to the S9, so what would be the point?

51 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Probably the Panasonic version of the "new" Leica camera.

Yup, that's where I'd put my money.

D-LUX 8 is it?

The LUMIX version of that. Ie, exactly the same but half the price.

Can't see updated S1 line coming now until at least the second half of the year.

Apparently, according to certain sources, Leica has a time-limited option on releasing the SL3 X number of months prior to LUMIX and the basically identical, but half the price, S2R/S1Rii.

We shall see...

10 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

I think a GX9-size/type m43 camera is least likely - it would be very close both in target market and release date to the S9, so what would be the point?

True, it's bad enough for Panasonic being spread thinly supporting two mounts, but to release a similar camera for both mounts at (almost) the same time would be kinda bonkers insane. 

Makes more sense for "a GX9 mk2" to come out a year or more after the S9

Instead they should release the opposite of a S9! Such as a GH7?????

Or a LX100 / LX15 update, which is also "the opposite" to the S9, but in the other direction. 

Just so you understand the l-rumors/m43rumors guy's shenanigans.

He receives a proper photo and full specs of a camera, even getting a chance to play with it; so this what the next week's posts are:

• Day 1- "hey guys I've got word of new camera for l mount or M43". (speculation starts)
  • Day 2- "It sounds like it might be a new l-mount camera, but I'll have confirmation tomorrow." (speculation continues)
  • Day 3- "Here's a photo (it's blurry) of the new camera." (Of course, no one in the camera business knows how to make a proper photo, but "sells" the idea it was a paparazzi-style shot, fueling even more speculation)
  • Day 4- "Here are some specs, but I don't have time to write everything after such a long day of "understanding" the specs. (notably leaving out important ones)" (more speculation on specs)
  • Day 5- "Sorry, didn't have time to release more specs, but I had a chance to play with the camera".  (more speculation on specs)
  • Day 6- "I was able to get a few more photos"  (more speculation on specs)
  • Day 7- "Here are the specs. What do you guy think?"  (specs are suitable or not) 

Of course, between each post, you've got several ads. I might even be forgetting a few days. I kid you not; this was the S9 launch.

I'm not playing this stupid game anymore and I value my time more. 

• Super Members
18 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Probably the Panasonic version of the "new" Leica camera.

The “new” Leica camera, internally at least, is their version of the Panasonic LX100ii.

It is wearing a different jacket so is far more like a mini Q than an LX100ii and it has the very elegant Leica interface and the RAWs are DNG.

Those differences make it a very nice little camera to be fair but the price….

Well, obviously.

41 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The “new” Leica camera, internally at least, is their version of the Panasonic LX100ii.

It is wearing a different jacket so is far more like a mini Q than an LX100ii and it has the very elegant Leica interface and the RAWs are DNG.

Those differences make it a very nice little camera to be fair but the price….

Well, obviously.

Yep, I know - I have the OG LX100 and looking for a reasonable priced LX100 for years...

But after seeing that Leica really ported their interface to the camera, I've raised some doubts - because the Leica interface works better with that new buttom layout (the camera have fewer buttons than the LX100, which already could have 1 or 2 more...), which make it harder to work with Pansonic menus.

Somebody mentioned that the EVF is new, a OLED one now - a good move, becasue almost everyone hated that field sequential one. But no confirmation until now.

It is kinda cute - hope that drive the LX100 II / D-Lux 7 down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiovu0DzIz8