Lumix S9

Davide DB

21 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I used to have the 10-25 f1.7 and it was probably the perfect lens for me. It really was great. The pairing with the 25-50 would be great.

I agree, I have the 10-25mm and 25-50mm, both are fantastic and they have very good AF on the GH5 (better than on the GH6 when using 1 zone focus). I also have the S Pro 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8, but I mostly use the M43 lenses. I want them for my Panasonic S cameras !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On my GH5 for underwater work I'm stuck with the old mediocre 14-42mm.

The best current underwater wet lenses were developed around 28mm FF so the only compatible M43 lens is the 14-42mm...

1 hour ago, ita149 said:

I agree, I have the 10-25mm and 25-50mm, both are fantastic and they have very good AF on the GH5 (better than on the GH6 when using 1 zone focus). I also have the S Pro 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8, but I mostly use the M43 lenses. I want them for my Panasonic S cameras !

I came so close to going back to M4/3 with a pair of gripped Oly OM-1’s just for these 2 lenses.

Considered it for GH6 but decided it was not an option.

GH7 perks interest once more, but I will need to see that that is but it’s about a perfect combo of focal lengths as there can be for me. For video anyway: 20-50 indoor? 50-100 outdoor? Bingo!

Paired with something else full frame for stills with a 35-150… We could have a winner…

16 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I came so close to going back to M4/3 with a pair of gripped Oly OM-1’s just for these 2 lenses.

Considered it for GH6 but decided it was not an option.

GH7 perks interest once more, but I will need to see that that is but it’s about a perfect combo of focal lengths as there can be for me. For video anyway: 20-50 indoor? 50-100 outdoor? Bingo!

Paired with something else full frame for stills with a 35-150… We could have a winner…

M43 with 10-25/25-50 and FF L with 28-45 and 35-150?

4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

M43 with 10-25/25-50 and FF L with 28-45 and 35-150?

I think that is about as perfect a set up as there can be for my needs.

I could even consider going back to the S1H as my full frame stills unit because it’s excellent in that role.

Let’s see what the GH7 is…

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I think that is about as perfect a set up as there can be for my needs.

I could even consider going back to the S1H as my full frame stills unit because it’s excellent in that role.

Let’s see what the GH7 is…

And now having seen what the GH7 is, yes indeed, this combo would tick every box for me other than very occasionally, but enough times to warrant one, throwing in something even wider for the full frame stills.

But otherwise nothing I can fault with that set up for my needs.

20 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

And now having seen what the GH7 is, yes indeed, this combo would tick every box for me other than very occasionally, but enough times to warrant one, throwing in something even wider for the full frame stills.

The Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 or Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 lenses are not to your tastes?? 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 or Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 lenses are not to your tastes?? 

No, the 10-25 and 25-50 are perfecto on a pair of 4/3 cameras for video.

It’s on the FF stills unit I need something wider than the options of 28-45 and 35-150. The 20mm f2 from Sigma is perfect or sticking with the zoom theme, more like the Sigma 16-28 f2.8 which has a bit more versatility.

I only use wider than 28mm for dancing stuff and occasional architecture, mainly indoors.

Just make me a LUMIX priced version of the Leica SL3 would you Panasonic!

And no, I would not go back to the S1R. It was good and the results were excellent, but I don’t like its ergos as much as the S1H. Not even close…

On 6/4/2024 at 1:22 PM, kye said:

Why did you get rid of it?

Too heavy? too large?

No, it wasn't heavy! I previously used a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with a speedbooster so if anything it felt light to me!

The reason i sold it was because I moved to Lumix FF. It's probably the only thing I really miss from my m43 times.

2 hours ago, Thpriest said:

The reason i sold it was because I moved to Lumix FF. It's probably the only thing I really miss from my m43 times

And what keeps tempting me to go back…

For instance, of the new releases, I’d rather have an S9 paired with an S5ii, the latter for static and longer stuff, the former for roaming around like the wedding day predator that I am.

But for the lenses, GH7. Easily. 

Now arguably, I could crop in post or use pixel to pixel and have my Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, performing like the actually bigger and heavier, but f1.7 for light gathering purposes, M4/3 25-50, but actually, I’d rather just have the 10-25 and 25-50 and be done with it, all bases covered, no faffing.

The 18-35 was a gem. It’s big brother less so when it came to AF and that was the issue for me. I shoot manual focus most of the time but NEED reliable AF at certain points and this is where until recently, the camera side was not working so well for me.

Oly great AF but trash video.

Panny great video but trash AF.

Does the G9ii have PDAF? I’ll have to go check because I don’t think I need the spec of the GH7…

I haven’t paid the G9ii much attention, but maybe it’s an option.

I’ll go look at it.

15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It’s on the FF stills unit I need something wider than the options of 28-45 and 35-150. The 20mm f2 from Sigma is perfect or sticking with the zoom theme, more like the Sigma 16-28 f2.8 which has a bit more versatility.

Wouldn't the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 or Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 lenses be a possible alternative to the Sigma 16-28 f2.8? It offers the same (actually... even more!) zoom range as the Sigma does.  The equivalent of 14-28mm or 16-36mm

6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Yes - the G9ii and GH7 are very close relatives.

I went and looked and saw that. Well I went and looked at the G9ii anyway to check it actually had a working AF system and it appears to do so.

Interesting then, but potentially costly…

There’s only about 300 in it cost-wise per body, new at least and I won’t be making any moves this year and it comes down to a few factors as there are 3 contender options for my 3 unit set up for next year.

Stick with the mixed Lumix/Nikon set up I have now, but seriously considering flipping my Z6ii and Zf for a single Z8 and very soon as this is a very low cost option.

Or going back to Lumix for everything, ie, video and stills. This will require Lumix to bring out the S1R successor by this Winter latest and then it’s just a question of a pair of GH7’s, or a pair of G9ii’s, or a mixed combo of either S1H or S5ii paired with S9.

Or go fully Nikon and trade everything I have which would be 2x Lumix bodies and 3x L Mount lenses plus 2x Nikon bodies, for 3x identical Z6iii bodies.

The question I have (to myself) is cost vs return…

Flipping to the Z8 will cost me about 1.5k and answers all my needs except not having 3 identical bodies and one unit is pretty large (S1H with grip and 70-200).

The all Nikon option I reckon would be around a 2.5k flip as I have quite a bit too trade and have all the lenses I need, except perhaps a 35-150, so 2.5-4k.

The Lumix option is actually the most costly, especially to go back to M4/3 for video and I reckon it would cost, even with trade in kit, between 8-10k.

All Lumix without going back to M4/3 = approx 3-3.5k I reckon.

On paper at least, according to the financials, it’s not looking good for 4/3…

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wouldn't the Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 or Panasonic 8-18mm f/2.8-4 lenses be a possible alternative to the Sigma 16-28 f2.8?

You are missing the bit about the camera for stills being full frame.

Even with ‘special glue’ those M4/3 lenses won’t work 😜

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

There’s only about 300 in it cost-wise per body, new at least and I won’t be making any moves this year and it comes down to a few factors as there are 3 contender options for my 3 unit set up for next year.

when it's only $300 difference between them, I don't quite understand why a hybrid shooter would go for G9mk2 over GH7? 

Even if it makes no difference for you between them today, I would assume over the lifespan of years for them, that it's very likely the GH7 will get more video specific firmware updates for it than the G9mk2 (or at the very least, the GH7 will get them earlier). So it's quite possible that months/years down the road, the GH7 might have something then you do want  but the G9mk2 won't.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

You are missing the bit about the camera for stills being full frame.

Why can't MFT do stills for you? Noise? DR? DoF? (even the DoF for UWA??)

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

I don't quite understand why a hybrid shooter would go for G9mk2 over GH7? 

As in if I 4/3 I would almost certainly go GH7 over G9ii because it’s only €300 more!

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Why can't MFT do stills for you? Noise? DR? DoF? (even the DoF for UWA??)

Because the difference between FF and APSC is noticeable to me and the gap between FF and M4/3 bigger still. And I am a pretentious artiste.

There are levels…

Video for me = M4/3, APSC, or FF

Stills for me = FF or Medium Format

Having said that, AI such as Topaz or PureRaw such as I use can do wonders, but as a *cough* craftsman, I’d know and it would make it for me more of a job than a craft.

Making craft beer in your own small distillery vs working as one of hundreds at the Carlsberg factory?

That’s how it is for me when it comes to the stills side of my business.

The video side can remain Carlsberg though 😂

18 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Because the difference between FF and APSC is noticeable to me

Yes, but I was just asking/curious about what specifically you're noticing that is so severe it's a sticking point for you. 

Is it... Noise? DR? DoF? (but even the DoF for UWA??)

A bit of ‘everything’ really…

Also that intangible can’t quite put into words, but is a thing, ‘look’.

I have always just found M4/3 stills to be a bit meh.

I noticed the difference when I moved from Fuji APSC to Lumix FF.

Nikon FF has another tiny edge over Lumix FF, at least at 24mp with supposedly the same sensor.

So I don’t go much for the technical analysis of why something is less or more, but more an instinctive/immediate, “I like this better or this not as much”, without too much concern as to why it may be so.