Lumix S9

Davide DB

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

GH7 just came out... S9? What's that?

Yeah S5II, S9, GH7 was way too fast. I just bought a S5II, then I was pissed about the S9, and now the GH7 has these interesting specs, next month they will prolly release the S2H. I just hope the ARRI colors will come to the S5II as well. That would be quite fair I think. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It came out a hot second just before the GH7. 

Think of it as "a mini S5" (???). Kinda. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1828733-REG/panasonic_dc_s9bodyk_lumix_s9_mirrorless_camera.html 

Sorry, my comment was a joke. I was just noting that it would seem everyone has forgotten the S9 after the announcement of the GH7.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah S5II, S9, GH7 was way too fast. I just bought a S5II, then I was pissed about the S9, and now the GH7 has these interesting specs, next month they will prolly release the S2H. I just hope the ARRI colors will come to the S5II as well. That would be quite fair I think. 

I think there will be features from the S9 and GH7 coming to the S5ii... I hope. The S2H, I presume, will be a GH7 full-frame, if it's possible to make that MFT sensor into full-frame. It's going to be WAY out of my budget though. Should we also expect internal VND? Hopefully.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Not recommended, but possible

Indeed. Just because you can does not mean you should!

So many YouTube channels are getting to the point where they are just grasping now, pumping out content for the sake of content.

But I suppose if you have nailed your colours to the content mast, the beast needs to be fed!

The Tokina 25-50 F4 zoom and the Canon FD 35-70 F4 are tiny and optically nice zoom lenses for video. I own both. The former was a recommendation by our friend Andy Lee btw. The latter has the typical problem of ageing Fd lenses with dissolving rubber ball bearings, unfortunately. Both are nice and fun for video. Without mount adapters they would look tiny and tidy on the S9 or on any S camera.

21 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

If Panasonic or anyone from the L-mount would put out any F2.8 pancakes, then we would be talking!

I still feel the main advantage to L mount is the ability to adapt almost anything to it, like you can with MFT, E-mount, Z-mount, etc. If I got an L mount camera the first thing I'd do is buy adapters so I can use my tiny rangefinder lenses, or my Minolta Rokkor lenses, or my Nikon F-mount lenses. I almost never buy native lenses, although I would if I used autofocus.

Afaik adapting a SLR pancake makes it still stick out more than the native 14mm pancake on MFT fi. @bjohn So I would love some native pancakes. Options of lenses with unmotorized MF and AF would greatly add to the pocket fun on the S9. Leica M39 and M-mount is another interesting route for adapting some small lenses, of course, as shown before by @BTM_Pix on various occasions of our search for small lenses.:)

9 hours ago, bjohn said:

I still feel the main advantage to L mount is the ability to adapt almost anything to it, like you can with MFT, E-mount, Z-mount, etc. If I got an L mount camera the first thing I'd do is buy adapters so I can use my tiny rangefinder lenses, or my Minolta Rokkor lenses, or my Nikon F-mount lenses. I almost never buy native lenses, although I would if I used autofocus.

Exactly. I use L mount and don’t own a single native lens. I shoot mostly cinematic video though so no need for autofocus most times. The new Kipon L mount to EF speedbooster gives you autofocus though if you need it and lets you use some of the canon pancake lenses with a slim profile. That or a small nifty 50 and you’re golden. Personally, I can’t wait to try my Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 pancake on the S9, it’s tiny even with the adapter/focal reducer.

IMG_3534.webp

20 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Afaik adapting a SLR pancake makes it still stick out more than the native 14mm pancake on MFT f

Maybe true for an SLR pancake but my pancake lens is an MS Optics Apoqualia M-mount lens; with the adapter it's so small I can literally slip a Sony APS-C camera in a pocket.

22 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

How does it handle MF for video work? This thing is tiny and they make you pay more for less.😊

The BrightinStar 28mm pancake is actually better in terms of image quality on full-frame thick-stack sensors, and it's a fraction of the price. The MS Optics has a focusing tab and I actually love those for manual focus. You develop a sense of where you are in terms of focal range by the position of the tab; this is how street shooters do zone focus, by the feel of where the tab is. Quite a few rangefinder lenses have that tab; some people hate it but as a focusing aid I love it and it's very fast.

I know some of us have been harsh on the S9 regarding the recording limits, but it's important to remember that a 15 minute limit in 6k open-gate is still nothing to sneeze at. That would be the equivalent of a 1500 foot reel at 24fps, something unheard of even in the 1990s. Also, you'd need a minimum of 2-5 minutes to change the reel. Can a 15 minute recording limit get the job done? Yes. You'd probably be fine with 5 minutes or a 400 foot reel. By the way, the dynamic range, detail, and workflow would also be way better. We're spoiled.

23 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I know some of us have been harsh on the S9 regarding the recording limits, but it's important to remember that a 15 minute limit in 6k open-gate is still nothing to sneeze at. That would be the equivalent of a 1500 foot reel at 24fps, something unheard of even in the 1990s. Also, you'd need a minimum of 2-5 minutes to change the reel. Can a 15 minute recording limit get the job done? Yes. You'd probably be fine with 5 minutes or a 400 foot reel. By the way, the dynamic range, detail, and workflow would also be way better. We're spoiled.

I forgot to mention that, back in the day, the cost of 1500 feet of reel would be roughly the equivalent of the cost of one Panasonic S9, not including the development. Also, to get the camera to be quiet enough for dialogue, you'd need a blimp only adding to the complexity. None of that on the S9! Good times.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The tools we have at our disposal are quite frankly ridiculously good.

The weakest link in the entire chain is the human one. By far.

I am growing more and more fond of the saying I invented recently, which is that the art/cinema flows from the people through the equipment to the final film.  

It is simple, but seems to capture the heart of the matter.....   and explains a great deal about the quality of work that we see from various people online.