Lumix S9

Davide DB

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I disagree. I think it's meant to be exactly what it is.

The issue is the internet is full of folks with opinions...

No EVF? It's not intended for EVF shooters. Personally, I NEVER use the EVF on any camera and have not for years, whether that be stills or video.

Even in super-bright sunlight, I can at least see the waveform monitor and otherwise trust the AF. Simply a non-issue. To me.

Lack of mechanical shutter. We can debate that one and personally, I WOULD have preferred it if it had one, but hey ho.

Cold not hot shoe. Meh, don't care. I don't shoot flash either and have not done so for even longer than I have not used an EVF so again, for my use, non-issue.

Single card slot. Supposedly that is the compromise in keeping the same size as the S5ii battery and the camera the size it is.

IMO, I would have preferred a slight grip with the extra size used to house a second card slot. This is my only real criticism of this camera, but not a deal breaker.

10 or 15 minute record limit. Sorry, but that one is a complete 1000% non-issue. For anyone requiring longer, just get a more suitable camera such as the S5ii which used 'like new', is basically the same price. And ticks all of the above boxes.

And having said all that, I am actually debating myself now why I don't trade my S1H for a third S5ii...

The options are: GH7, S9, S5ii and S1H.

The pros and cons are: (for me/my needs)

GH7 = whole new eco system for a single camera plus 2 lenses, costs ball park €6k. Not happening.

S9 Pros = smallest, lightest, full frame 6k 30p open gate. Cons = single card slot. Costs €1700 with cage

S5ii Pros = 3rd identical camera in my line up, non of the cons of the S9 and compared with S9 with cage, little difference in size and weight (though the S9 does just still, ooh err missus, edge it). Cons = slightly bigger and heavier than the S9 with cage. Costs €1600

S1H = Own it, best image quality of the bunch (poss due to the OLPF). Cons = biggest, heaviest, oldest, slowest, AF worst, IBIS worst and trade in money is a bit shite. Costs €fuck all

Heart says S9.

Head says cancel preorder and just get another S5ii.

I like your idea for the S9. I’d use it in a similar way. At the end of the day you get a lot more camera for your money buying another S5mk2. I think it’s worth waiting until the S9 price comes down next year. Meanwhile I’d go with the S5mk2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

I like your idea for the S9. I’d use it in a similar way. At the end of the day you get a lot more camera for your money buying another S5mk2. I think it’s worth waiting until the S9 price comes down next year. Meanwhile I’d go with the S5mk2

I have 2x identical, tripod based set ups with S5ii's.

I say 'identical', but temporarily they are not as the second RODE WG2 I ordered, the receiving unit turned up DOA, but as soon as that is replaced, I will have 2x identical set ups.

Identical except I can swap out one of the 20-60mm zooms for the 70-200 f4 if I feel the need, but exceptional circumstance only such as a church wedding with no side aisle so stuck at the back.

That covers off ceremonies and speeches, visual and audio so my third run & gun unit during those chapters is just that, - roaming about and the 28-70 is just fine for that.

And size & weight, even with the minimalist cage and side handle...I forgot about...because I forgot about it...but have now remembered...makes me sway even more back towards a third S5ii which in it's new incarnation will NOT have the cage it previously had, nor the side handle and nor probably the RODE micro.

If I am being honest, whilst the wooden side handle DID add to the ergos, it was more because it looked cool and the cage was a necessity for this vanity. 

The Rode Micro? Having a mic on the camera 'told' people this was a video unit. You'd think anyway. In over 90% of cases, folks think I'm taking pics not video and in most cases when they have been standing there staring at the camera and grinning like buffoons, do I tell them it's a video and then they starting 'acting'.

So back to a bare bones S5ii with just lens, it's actually less size & weight and more low-key than the S9 in it's semi-rigged status.

I think I just talked myself into cancelling my preorder...

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I have 2x identical, tripod based set ups with S5ii's.

I say 'identical', but temporarily they are not as the second RODE WG2 I ordered, the receiving unit turned up DOA, but as soon as that is replaced, I will have 2x identical set ups.

Identical except I can swap out one of the 20-60mm zooms for the 70-200 f4 if I feel the need, but exceptional circumstance only such as a church wedding with no side aisle so stuck at the back.

That covers off ceremonies and speeches, visual and audio so my third run & gun unit during those chapters is just that, - roaming about and the 28-70 is just fine for that.

And size & weight, even with the minimalist cage and side handle...I forgot about...because I forgot about it...but have now remembered...makes me sway even more back towards a third S5ii which in it's new incarnation will NOT have the cage it previously had, nor the side handle and nor probably the RODE micro.

If I am being honest, whilst the wooden side handle DID add to the ergos, it was more because it looked cool and the cage was a necessity for this vanity. 

The Rode Micro? Having a mic on the camera 'told' people this was a video unit. You'd think anyway. In over 90% of cases, folks think I'm taking pics not video and in most cases when they have been standing there staring at the camera and grinning like buffoons, do I tell them it's a video and then they starting 'acting'.

So back to a bare bones S5ii with just lens, it's actually less size & weight and more low-key than the S9 in it's semi-rigged status.

I think I just talked myself into cancelling my preorder...

are you a man band? if so, how can you manage several camera setups at the same time?

I have several cameras I want to bring to some events. just feel not safe as I am totally focused when shooting. if someone else steal my rigs, I may not know. 

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

are you a man band? if so, how can you manage several camera setups at the same time?

Yes.

Like learning to juggle going from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to teacups & saucers to full Cirque du Soleil chainsaws, ie, you have to both work up to it and work at it.

4 cameras

1 drone

3 tripods

2 large light stands with lights

2 small light stands with lights

6+ audio devices

Full photo and video, every event

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=it's+a+kind+of+magic+line+from+highlander&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:76d8ff54,vid:inHv2y8QCbM,st:0

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yes, it's interesting how people react differently when you have a mic with furry on a 'proper' camera, even though there might be several other people in the vicinity taking photos and video with their phones. As I don't usually have people as the main subjects in my video, I often try and find a filming spot away from them to avoid the issue.

At least now that video shooting is so ubiquitous, it's been a long time since someone wandered over and asked me 'what's that furry thing on the camera for?' 🙂

I should add, not all at the same time!

For instance, I don’t fly the drone whilst doing anything else, though I will have 3x video cameras running while shooting stills.

Lighting is always 2 big or 2 small or just 1 of either and very occasionally 3, but never 4 to the best of my memory…

4 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Yes, it's interesting how people react differently when you have a mic with furry on a 'proper' camera

Still gets me every time…

I’m always thinking, “can you not see there’s a shotgun mic on the top of my camera?” (although I swapped my dead cat for a live foam), but apparently not!

Maybe I need to rig it out over my shoulder and employ someone to walk around with a boom mic overhead?

I’d look properly pro then.

• 4 weeks later...

S9 in da house.

Cage still on back order…and it really needs it as not having any kind of grip is at the moment my only gripe.

I knew that when I ordered it though and it’s just a matter of time…

Gets it’s first run out a week today and will be my sole video unit for that job as the couple have not booked full ceremony or video coverage/productions, so will be interesting to see if shooting approx 250x 10 second clips can produce any overheating issues.

I suspect it will not, but one of my S5ii’s will be on standby just in case.

Provided it passes that test, it will remain as my lightweight run & gun unit paired with the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 and Rode Micro. Total weight including cage when it arrives, around 1kg which is nuts for a 6k 30p, no gimbal required, handheld beast.

On 6/24/2024 at 1:33 AM, Thpriest said:

I think it’s worth waiting until the S9 price comes down next year. Meanwhile I’d go with the S5mk2

You might not have to what till next year,I'm shopping the Japanese websites and seeing some killer deals. At around $1,000 I think the S9 is an amazing deal. I'm going to scoop one up next paycheck and have some fun with it. I sold my GX85 a few months ago for a really solid price on eBay so it's getting close to an even swap for the S9 financially. I would love a new GX body with some of the GH7 love but that ship will probably never sail. The S9 is going to be the little brother to the S5iix and maybe a used S1R to round out my doc travel kit for a current project. 

If Lumix will end up removing record limits in firmware updates and give us a few more specs I feel like the Sigma FP crowd could even jump ship for the 6k open gate and ease of file codecs. 

No tax and cheap Fedex for $1,200 on Japanese sites today. Some even have the craptastic pancake lens included. 

Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 12.02.50 PM.png

On 7/20/2024 at 6:12 AM, MrSMW said:

Gets it’s first run out a week today and will be my sole video unit for that job as the couple have not booked full ceremony or video coverage/productions, so will be interesting to see if shooting approx 250x 10 second clips can produce any overheating issues.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the S9 after you put it through its paces. I will be using mine in a similar use case and think it will be perfect. I've been missing my GX85 Street camera so happy to have something small and light to take around with some M lenses. 

V-Log and Stabilized FF 6k Anamorphic with Lidar autofocus on a mini $1,200 body. What a world we live in...

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.48.06 PM.png

Well it didn’t overheat…

Actually, it worked pretty well.

Still waiting for the lightweight cage from Smallrig but received confirmation it has now been shipped and is on its way.

in the meantime, I mostly used it on a cheap, lightweight, freestanding monopod and I’m going to go back to using one after a year or so of not as I really like the stable shot.

Otherwise it was about as lightweight and small as a full frame set up can be and that was great.

It’s not that much smaller or lighter than an S5ii and the S5ii is a better camera really in pretty much every regard except size & weight, but I like the little thing and it meets my needs.

The output is going to be the same as my S5ii’s so the real test was how it worked compared with one ergonomically really.

Without the cage, not as a good, but once that arrives in a few days and I can also put a side handle on it, it will beat the S5ii.

The only final factor really is do I stick with the versatility of the compact Sigma 28-70 f2.8, or take a look at a cine lens with lidar as that option is of interest.

But not this year. I can’t be doing with any more changes to my kit!

Actually, I think I’ll give my old vintage Carl Zeiss 40-80mm f3.5 a go on this body as on the freestanding monopod, it might be quite a good option.

Might even work with Lidar and some gearing?

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Actually, I think I’ll give my old vintage Carl Zeiss 40-80mm f3.5 a go on this body as on the freestanding monopod, it might be quite a good option.

Might even work with Lidar and some gearing?

Surely then you aren't really gaining anything from using the S9. I'd imagine that it's selling point is being as small and light as possible.

Anyway, glad to hear it didn't overheat although I'm not sure how it's manage 40 degrees like in Madrid.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

Surely then you aren't really gaining anything from using the S9. I'd imagine that it's selling point is being as small and light as possible.

Anyway, glad to hear it didn't overheat although I'm not sure how it's manage 40 degrees like in Madrid.

True.

I am still debating whether it's a better option for me than not the S5ii, but the S1H...

It is eating at the corners of my mind that the S9 is possibly a bit too small and light...

It is and has been something I am chasing (compactness rather than than the above) and I have achieved that on the stills side, but having now used it and slept on it, I'm wondering if I went too far in that direction with the S9.

The S9 is just under 500g and the S1H, +650g so more than double, but the S9 needs a cage and side handle so about halves that difference making it far less significant.

The S1H has:

1. A better and more robust articulating rear screen plus it's a much brighter and clearer and bigger screen. I work solely off the rear screen so it's very important. (Something stopped me going Sony for video).

2. It has 2x card slots and that lack of backup with the S9 is playing on my mind.

3. It has an OLPF.

4. It has a bigger battery. I don't care what the official battery stats of something like 400 shots for the S1H vs the 470 or whatever of the S9/S5ii because the S1H battery offers FAR more than that of the S5ii/S9. 

5. It is much more robust and weather-proof.

6. It costs nothing as I own it and has a trade in value of only around €700 whereas the S9 cost €1600, so is nearly €1000 cheaper as a value proposition based only on cost.

The S9 counters with being smaller and lighter, but that is it. At least in regard to anything I need or value.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

Maybe you’d be better off with another S5 mk2. It seems like your sweet spot. 

Well, having slept on it for another night, I have concluded that I'm sending it back.

Somewhat reluctantly because I do like it and the cost difference aside as in, is it worth €1000 more (with cage) than the S1H? the answer is no.

It's not worth anything more and in fact less. To me.

It's not so much a case as I went too small and too light because there are certain qualities to that, but the loss of all the other factors I listed above; the screen, the card slots etc, ie, the sheer 'pro' qualities and confidence that comes from that, for me outweighs what, the S9 gives me.

And yes, I could go with a third S5ii very easily and it would make a lot of sense and is IMO a better option than the S9, but the S1H is better still as an individual unit.

That extra bit of chunk negates the need for any kind of grip (compared with a S5ii with battery grip or cage) and my only very slight reservation is outright AF...but I have other units to cover that.

The other upside of keeping the S1H and sending back the S9 is it leaves the potential open to see what Lumix might do with any S1H successor next year, ie, potentially trading in an already massively devalued S1H vs losing a whole chunk on a lightly used S9, is also preferable.

And I hate change. Detest it. I think I was just a bit too rash with this one, but hey ho.

You are really someone!😂 @MrSMWAnd I mean it in a good way only. You really give good reasons for pride of ownership when it comes to the S1H. I really marvel over mine. Love the built, ergos, look. When it was was used as a BCam with an Amira, it kinda seemed people were snobbish towards it but I was wrong. It is of course no Alev3 beast but a rock solid cinema BCam or even ACam good enogh for a Cannes nomination, rock solid. S9 with hotshoe, EVF and mechanical shutter would tempt me though. I am happy that I can resist rather effortlessly due to the lack of these. But it is really close for me to be the perfect pocket camera. Oh, no true F2.8 AF pancakes nor any besides the 28mm F8 is still a bummer of course.

Well, it’s like so many things in life and that is we can research and analyse and talk all we want about something, but it’s only real world experience that gives you the answer.

So many times I have come close to ditching the S1H but every single bloody time, it keeps coming back to the same result and that is it is The Daddy.

Not for stills, the new Daddy there is the Sony A7RV, but as my run & gun unit paired with the Sigma 28-70 f2.8, it is The GOAT.

Yes the S5ii has better AF and…well it has better AF and is lighter but otherwise, nope.

S9 lighter and smaller still and with better AF but otherwise nope.

Whatever comes along in terms of the next gen S1H will probably dethrone the S1H but for video, best camera I have ever had and was for photo until the Sony came into my life.