Lumix S9

Davide DB

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The X model has no appeal to me. Not a single feature I need although I like it’s all black look, I am not paying a €500 premium for something I can do with a black sharpie.

Considered scratching the Sigma FP itch but then came to my senses 😂

Shooting straight to NVME M.2 SSD's is pretty slick on the S5iix and very economical. I just picked up a 2tb Samsung drive for $150 US. Allows for really fast file transfers and turn around time being able to pull the drive and go straight to the laptop. Shooting straight to Prores can be nice and versatile too depending on your post production process. It's also nice because that storage media is versatile and can be used on lots of cameras or as external storage.

Speaking of the Sigma FP, I like the way the community have come up with tidy solutions when shooting raw out to the SSD. There's a few used FP camera's on sale for $950 US right now and I'm also thinking of grabbing one soon after I sort out my main workhouse solutions. Just a fun system to play with and a tiny little cinema beast. 

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 12.25.40 AM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Get it, really is a fun little beast with an image that is truly unprocessed sensor RAW in the cinema sense, not the faux-RAW that's taken over.

If you can find an Fp-L that's even better... same 60mp sensor as a Leica SL3 or A7R V for quarter of the price.

It's capable of some nice oversampling whereas the original Fp pixel bins.

And has phase-detect AF.

6 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

Shooting straight to NVME M.2 SSD's is pretty slick on the S5iix

I do like the idea of being able to shoot direct to SSD, but 3 cameras so I always need to end up with time matched footage on a single drive.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

If you can find an Fp-L that's even better

Stop it!

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Add it to the bag with the EVF... You know you want it!

For the IQ, I do I do I do!

But, being pragmatic, I’d be causing myself a ton of issues.

Similar scenarios with cine zooms and primes on something like the S5ii, - something else that would hamper me at times.

I was very interested in the NiSi Athena Primes with drop in filters but kept circling back to the same conclusion and that is I would be limiting myself and therefore my clients, at certain times.

So no, a ‘sensible’ camera body and system it has to be and that means at least decent if not great AF, and AF zooms, even if I mostly use them in MF mode.

It’s a good thing actually because it allows the tools to get out of the way and the ‘art’ then has to come from the operator, though possibly at the ultimate expense of outright image quality because as the saying goes, something is better than nothing and without the right tools, the risk is nothing in certain scenarios in Wedding Land.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Add it to the bag with the EVF... You know you want it!

Actually, I did have one on loan from Sigma France but only tested it for stills where it failed pretty badly.

In that regard, I do have the Sigma FP-L in an ergonomic body with twin card slots, decent IBIS, fantastic rear screen and better battery life. It’s called a Sony A7RV 😂