Gerald just spilled the beans about YT reviews, naming brand and giving examples, etc

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Ergonomics apart, how do you compare images from the two cameras?

Between the K-X and the C70?  Do you mean to see how well they can match?  For that, I'll probably just set them up next to each other on tripods with similar lenses at a similar t-stop and shoot myself holding a color chart.  Then I'll use the Resolve color chart tool on both and look at them side-by-side.  If I think that they're similar enough that a normal person wouldn't find it jarring, that'll be good enough for me, especially for a 48.

My friend was torn between the C70 and the R5C (For underwater and narrative use).  Each ticked off several items on his checklist. The choice was so difficult that in the end he did not take either 🙂

Fair enough.  There's no wrong choice there, it really just depends on one's goals.

Now both cameras are quite dated (not from specs pov) and a new version is around the corner so better to wait for both new and used.

I only bought the C70 last year when it was already pretty dated (mine came from a rental house for a great price).  With Canon, there's no knowing whether the new version will really improve anything that one cares about and what things that you liked will be removed for seemingly no reason.  But at least a new model would be likely to push down prices even more on the used stuff.

I'm watching Chimp Empire now.  Looks beautiful.  Wonderful example of how great the C70 and C300 are for run and gun.

2 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

If I think that they're similar enough that a normal person wouldn't find it jarring, that'll be good enough for me, especially for a 48.

This is what I would do too.

The next level in matching is to go through the Hue vs Hue, Hue vs Sat, and Hue vs Luma curves and tweak things to match there, paying particular attention to the Hue vs Hue of the skin tones.  I'd be gentle with these, so if the curves looked too drastic I'd back them off to minimise the risk of breaking the image (although with cameras like these that's unlikely).

Then I'd just save that as a power-grade and apply it if/when required in future.  You do it once and have it forever basically.

Even this is potentially unnecessary, as once you put on a global look over the whole project it will often obscure differences between cameras to the point they're not visible in context.

4 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I only bought the C70 last year when it was already pretty dated (mine came from a rental house for a great price). 

Good catch indeed!

What about from the standpoint of pure image? Is the C70 comparable to the K-X? I didn't want to use the word cinematic 😉

4 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I'm watching Chimp Empire now.  Looks beautiful.  Wonderful example of how great the C70 and C300 are for run and gun.

Yes, when run&gun meets cinematography 

8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

What about from the standpoint of pure image? Is the C70 comparable to the K-X? I didn't want to use the word cinematic 😉

The C70 seems less sharp, for sure, beyond being 4k vs 6k.  Colors are a little punchier straight out of camera.  I don't have a Xyla 21 and haven't done anything scientific, but I think the C70 has a little more dynamic range (but the difference is less than I expected).  Both sensors are a bit wider than a standard APS-C sensor (26.2mm for the C70 and 27.03mm for the K-X) so with a focal reducer, the field of view/dof of the lenses is a nearly perfect match for full frame.

Also, C70 has rolling shutter, but I think it's around 16ms - so it looks mostly fine when shooting moving stuff/moving the camera around.  It has the advantage when overcranking to 120fps that it doesn't need to crop in at all, but the disadvantage of turning off DGO and losing dynamic range (though then the RS is even less, like 8ms or something).  This weekend, maybe tomorrow, I'll do my side-by-side test and would be glad to post a couple of frame grabs (before and after using the color chart tool in Resolve).

8 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Gotta' hand it to those folks - I've done some crazy stuff to get the shot, but I'm not sure I'd be up for standing in the middle of a bunch of fighting apes.

2 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Also, C70 has rolling shutter, but I think it's around 16ms - so it looks mostly fine when shooting moving stuff/moving the camera around.  It has the advantage when overcranking to 120fps that it doesn't need to crop in at all, but the disadvantage of turning off DGO and losing dynamic range (though then the RS is even less, like 8ms or something).

C70 rolling shutter numbers from: https://www.optyczne.pl/48.4-Inne_testy-Canon_EOS_C70_-_test_kamery_Jakość_obrazu.html . 'Matrix' = Sensor (Google translation confusion...)

image.png.dc2872a494818b47bfc956ce59892d3a.png

There's also some DR tests towards the bottom of this page - https://www.optyczne.pl/48.3-Inne_testy-Canon_EOS_C70_-_test_kamery_Użytkowanie.html

Sarcasm: It's so go that Toneh and Co. are doing such a community service by going to these events. You know they're always looking out for the little guy. "It does make it easier when they give you a Z9," she says with a big smile. Guys, we're always looking out for you. Wonderful to hear they don't have big egos as well because some people can be hurt. And wasn't it great to hear about Squarespace again- thanks for telling me about them because I've genuinely never heard of them before.

It’s comical all these ‘reaction’ pieces that are popping up all over the place.

“Trust me/us, we’re good people honest”.

Genuine concern for their livelihoods on YouTube because they already ditched their real world day job.

To be fair, I don’t think Toneh and Chelseh have had ‘real’ jobs for a long time, but some of the other folks used to be real photographers or videographers.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, John Matthews said:

And wasn't it great to hear about Squarespace again

This forum is now sponsored by Squarespace.

You can use drag and drop templates to form all future posts from a word cloud.

There is also a RED user version, RedSquare.

This is far more strict with what words are available in the templates.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:25 AM, Davide DB said:

Good catch indeed!

"Chimp Empires" should be a documentary about Fujifilm X-Pro 3 users - the ones that raved about the stupid back LCD that brought back "real photography" and after made a class action suit against Fujifilm for the LCD ribbon cables being broken (because, of course, in real life, not making online dick measuring, the open the fking LCD all the time to chimp the photos).

This is all just the tip of the iceberg.

I used to work for a broadcaster who covered consumer-electronics reviews, including video-cameras, Many electronics-reviewers are compromised by the electronics-corporations at every level, up to and including, blackmail.

I witnessed first-hand our 'reviewers' flown out to 'product launch' locations like Tokyo, and Las Vegas. Here many of them were pampered; loaded up on alcohol, and compromised (typically using adult-prostitutes, and worse).

Once inducted into this 'club' of blackmailed journalists, these reviewers are 'groomed' for positions higher in the 'journalist' food-chain; one  is now a presenter on a major television show for cars; others are scattered across the 'tech' field.

The reviewer-scene is mostly puppets.

YouTube (and the television networks) are advertiser-funded. The advertisers basically own them, and push their own (blackmailed) reviewers to the top of the rankings.

You are the product YouTube sells to its customer: The advertisers / corporations.

Remember, these camera companies have zero concerns about children working in the lithium-cobalt battery-mines; they certainly have no concerns about placing their puppet-'reviewers' across YouTube etc, and masquerading these puppets as legitimate independent-journalists.

Almost everything you see on YouTube is fake.

52 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

🤣

I don't think you need to buy YouTubers hookers to get them to go along with the corporate PR.

It's much worse than what I've described. Prostitution is entry-level blackmailing of "journalists". If you heard the full-story of what these consumer-electronics reviewers got up to in Tokyo and Las Vegas during my time at at a major broadcaster, you would be sick.

The new-generation of YouTubers have a much bigger audience than those tech-journalists used to. The stakes are higher, and the kompromat system is in full-effect..

The major camera manufacturers are self-acknowledged child-slave-traders.  They use children in the Congo [Reuters] to mine their lithium. They use child-slaves on their supply chains,  without hesitation [Business Insider].

These same manufacturers are, at other times, ashamed of it. They obfuscate how their cameras are made.

Red cameras say "Made in USA" but if you take one of their cameras apart, all the critical-circuit-boards inside are clearly marked with the logo of a well-known Chinese-communist manufacturer. Arri say their cameras are "Made in Germany" but they have a factory in China. 

Arri's China factory is producing... nothing. If you believe the label on the chassis.

The entire camera industry is founded on a deceit: These manufacturers cannot even be honest about manufacturing in the slave-zone using children. They are child-abusers; and their products are fueled by the lithium mines.

Hard to accept; and many here will struggle with self-awareness.

Why does no major reviewer ever emphasize where these cameras are made? Because the camera (child-slaver)  industry OWNS the reviewers. If you review a Red camera, and mention where the circuits come from, you don't get any more Red Camera freebies.

If you review an Arri camera and mention where the circuits come from; or precisely which children mined the lithium: Blacklisted. Downranked by Google (YouTube) at the behest of the conglomerates who own both industries.

If a journalist attends a launch party in Tokyo and gets themselves compromised, now they are moved up the Google ranks, and their videos are top of the results.

Puppets get promoted.

I was fortunate (unfortunate) enough to see this system from the inside. YouTube's backers (the corporations) will not promote 'influencers' they do not own.

They only invest in compromised people. It's essentially the same as the political system.

Watching YouTube and using Google eliminates a person's critical-faculties. If Google promote self-harm, most users will do it. As the last few years proved. YouTube is a psychological-manipulation tool: Advertising disguised as opinion.

The camera-reviewers on YouTube are, mostly, behind the scenes, the advertising-wing of the same companies selling the cameras. Naturally, you will feel angry reading this, but consider using that anger to change the industry.

It's time to wake up.

Uh oh, everybody.  We have a conspiracy theorist on our hands.  Are there any other ridiculous and yet unprovable claims that you'd like to present as facts?  Careful, I hear that there are little gnomes who live in your keyboard and report everything you say and do back to Wayne Newton so that he knows who to target with his satellite-based impotency ray.

1 minute ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Uh oh, everybody.  We have a conspiracy theorist on our hands.

So Reuters and Business Insider are conspiracy rags?

Give it up. People who defend the rights of children not to be abused by the camera industry don't care if you smear them with "conspiracy theorist".

Take a long hard look at the articles I linked to. Have a nice day.

Sorry, I'm not actually engaging with your dumbshit distortions of what articles actually say and desire to limit their scope to apply to only a single industry instead of dozens of industries.  If you actually have evidenciary proof of whatever kompromat you claim is acquired in Tokyo and Vegas, kindly provide it.  If you don't, stop bombarding everybody else with your idiotic drivel.

• Super Members

I can’t speak for YouTubers but one of my previous roles was writing magazine features and product reviews.

In addition, I also covered the press only product launches and the major trade shows such as IBC, NAB and AES.

At no time during any of that was I provided with prostitutes by any manufacturer.

And God knows I asked them enough times.