Gerald just spilled the beans about YT reviews, naming brand and giving examples, etc

kye

We're all aware of the exploitation of people and countries resources...

But you're gonna have a hard time convincing anyone that Panasonic has honey potted a bunch of camera nerds with prostitutes so that they'll shill their cameras. 

I assure you, 98% of them only need a free trip and free swag to do it. Hell, half of them will do it if they get a nice email from some PR person pretending they're interested in their opinions and feedback. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I can’t speak for YouTubers but one of my previous roles was writing magazine features and product reviews.

In addition, I also covered the press only product launches and the major trade shows such as IBC, NAB and AES.

At no time during any of that was I provided with prostitutes by any manufacturer.

And God knows I asked them enough times.

You must have an honest face...  doomed from the outset!

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

We're all aware of the exploitation of people and countries resources...

But you're gonna have a hard time convincing anyone that Panasonic has honey potted a bunch of camera nerds with prostitutes so that they'll shill their cameras. 

I assure you, 98% of them only need a free trip and free swag to do it. Hell, half of them will do it if they get a nice email from some PR person pretending they're interested in their opinions and feedback. 

Yeah, the game has changed, and luckily for them, the price got lower and they realised they could mostly automate it!

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Panasonic has honey potted a bunch of camera nerds with prostitutes so that they'll shill their cameras.

Gerald didn’t mention any of this in his recent video? He’s clearly well out of the loop.

I reckon they all also got those secret flying cars but just can’t talk about it under NDA and don’t get to ‘keep them’, but can use them for the duration of their life to fly backwards and forwards to Japan for every new camera launch.

I’m seriously considering switching my status from working photographer to industry shill…

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Gerald didn’t mention any of this in his recent video? He’s clearly well out of the loop.

I reckon they all also got those secret flying cars but just can’t talk about it under NDA and don’t get to ‘keep them’, but can use them for the duration of their life to fly backwards and forwards to Japan for every new camera launch.

I’m seriously considering switching my status from working photographer to industry shill…

Calm down, looks like that the hooker thing is not used anymore. 😄

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, its taken 8 pages but we finally got from Gerald Undone to Trousers Undone.

So, that's a couple above average then, right?

@EspenB They pleasured us by accompanying the S9 with 25mm F8 pancake glory. So I hope, they give us a Mft equivalence.  A 12mm F8 lens would perfectly compliment the cutting edge GH7. It would satisfy our aching lust for M43 AF, for all eternity.😊

Gerald had this comment from his GH7 review.  (Yes, Panasonic did send him a copy)  🤣

I've always found the North American LUMIX team to be reasonable people who are good to work with and it's important to separate any concerns I might have with certain marketing maneuvers from the actual product and engineering teams that work on it.

15 hours ago, EspenB said:

I think its pretty certain that both the S9 and the GH7 was shown and handed out at the Lumix press junket in Osaka.

From the people I follow, I feel certain about this. 

But I suspect the GH7 was perhaps not quite ready back then. So they couldn't talk about it during / immediately after the trip. 

Well from a couple of reviews, it seems some were posted the camera to their respective home countries and some received it direct in Japan, because I am pretty sure those folks who have done initial reviews in Japan, did not fly back again!

Ahhh... that makes kinda sense, maybe their supply of them was very limited. So they had ones there to share, but not enough to hand out to everyone. So some people (such as Gerald....) only got their copies to play with a couple of weeks later (or an even longer wait). 

15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well from a couple of reviews, it seems some were posted the camera to their respective home countries and some received it direct in Japan, because I am pretty sure those folks who have done initial reviews in Japan, did not fly back again!

Maybe they stayed in Japan after the event?

Maybe, but not for long surely so possibly chucked out the S9 crew and the GH7 mob had longer date return tickets?

”Oh you are not coming to the airport with us? What do you mean you are staying all expenses paid courtesy of old Panny Boy for another week?”

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Maybe, but not for long surely so possibly chucked out the S9 crew and the GH7 mob had longer date return tickets?

”Oh you are not coming to the airport with us? What do you mean you are staying all expenses paid courtesy of old Panny Boy for another week?”

Nah, I just meant staying extra time.  

Maybe they travel enough and so time abroad doesn't matter much to them, but I just figure that if you're planning on shooting half-a-dozen videos about cameras and lenses and accessories and then Panasonic says they'll fly you to Japan and back, maybe you ask them to delay your return flight by a week and for the cost of a hotel for a week you film the outside parts of your other videos in somewhere interesting rather than that same spot you keep going back to for video after video, plus you get a week of the worlds best ramen and sushi instead of your local whatever.

Maybe, but I still reckon they had some folks pegged for a double launch and others just for the S9.

Not that I really care and I’d go if asked!

Japan is No. 1 on my bucket list and if I had to do a couple of days work but had my flights paid plus a couple of nights covered but had to stump up the rest for my ‘own’ time, I’d be fine with that.

Maybe I should up my YouTube game so I stand a chance of the S2whatever launch?

By the law of sod, they will probably then go and do it somewhere like Paris which is just 2 hours by train and I have been like a gazillion times…