Half Price (vs original RRP) or the Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2! Now only US$2995, same price as a Pyxis

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Having used neither so based entirely on images and specs, I would take the UMP over the Pyxis any day.  I gain a screen that makes sense, internal ND filters, redundant media (2xCF and 2xSD and USB-C), and a crapload of buttons and I lose 6K (but still have a little extra for cropping in post to 4k)?

I guess the mount options for the Ursa are also less good - EF, PL, F, and B4 - so no good way to use most vintage lenses (except Leica R and Olympus OM (and of course Nikon F since it includes vintage))...  but I bet I could design and 3d print something for that.  That's what I did for the Z Cam flagship series before they released some useful mounts.

Anyway.  I still haven't used either camera so it's really just navel gazing...  but for me, if you set both in front of me and said to pick one, I would hesitate for less than 1/10 second.

Biggest problem of this the ump's was for me the weight and the dreaded fpn (god I hated the fpn). I just like to shoot smaller camera's, which require less heavy tripods/sliders/gimbals/battery's. Just more efficient. + I like the full frame sensor. But I would just buy the blackmagic cine 6K. Because I hate adding more monitors to my camera and the pyxis monitor seems to suck. (allthought the blackmagic cine 6K formfactor also sucks). 

23 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Biggest problem of this the ump's was for me the weight and the dreaded fpn (god I hated the fpn). 

Interesting. When I felt it was time for me to go to a better camera I was seriously looking at the Ursa Mini Pro but the fixed pattern noise thing was a turn off. I also was looking at the BM Production Camera 4K, Digital Bolex, the Ursa non-mini even (which were like a full size VHS camcorder). I see the BM 4K Production Cameras now on Craigslist for only CAN$1100 which is pretty amazing for their image quality. I wasn't liking the poor audio quality part though. There are always trade offs with cameras.

I ended up getting a deal on a Digital Bolex and loving it. It's not easy to shoot with but the results are worth it for certain types of shooting. I had a small group over for supper and a screening (projected) of my latest film shot with it and one of them, who's a layperson and not involved in film at all, said something like the image had a certain quality to it and wondered if I had a special camera or something. In the end I paid a lot but I'm super happy with what I ended up with. No FPN, good audio, amazing image quality, etc. It's also become a bit of a conversation piece when I've been out shooting. I've met a few interesting camera buffs that way.

I think to compliment this would be something like a 4K camcorder with built in gimbal type stabilization. Sony, Canon and Panasonic all make similar models. I have an HD Sony (PJ650) that I love for its ease of use, stabilization and all that. 

We live in a golden age of so many camera choices and most of them are very good and much better than the few choices we had in the past. In fact we can even get super picky about minor details. It reminds me of coffee and craft beer. Thirty or more years ago it was all crap and now so much amazing beer and coffee is available we can look down upon very good coffee because we can choose super good coffee.