June 5 Panasonic & Canon announcement

Davide DB

June 5 looks like the video maker's holiday. Double announcement Pana and Canon.

Rumors run wild.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-lumix-gh7-to-be-announced-soon/

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-usa-to-launch-new-cinema-eos-product-on-june-5/

If a GH7 really comes out, I'll have to break my piggy bank.

P.S.

I wonder if Gerald will have had one of these machines on test 😉

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

I wonder if Gerald will have had one of these machines on test 😉

During the livestream around S9-gate Gerald mentioned he didn't have anything that he was reviewing but couldn't talk about, so depending on the accuracy of that claim and the timelines involved, maybe he doesn't have either.

23 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Panasonic Japan has now discontinued the GH6, so it looks like the GH7 is coming.  This is likely what the GH6 should have been.

Wow, that seemed to go really fast!

I guess it was just over 2 years ago, but still.

Maybe the GH7 launch was what all the influencers were invited to in Japan, and like Dave said, they switched up the camera that was released for some reason.  It would explain the audience and also the S9 not having the associated lenses also being announced at the same time.

48 minutes ago, kye said:

During the livestream around S9-gate Gerald mentioned he didn't have anything that he was reviewing but couldn't talk about, so depending on the accuracy of that claim and the timelines involved, maybe he doesn't have either.

Maybe the GH7 launch was what all the influencers were invited to in Japan, and like Dave said, they switched up the camera that was released for some reason.  It would explain the audience and also the S9 not having the associated lenses also being announced at the same time.

2 years is very short for a GH series camera.  

Yes, I think they were invited to see the GH7 and at some point Panasonic decided to show the S9 as well. I think Gerald decided not to go based on the GH7 and was upset he missed the S9.  It sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.  I am surprised it got the play time it did.  But that is social media for you. 

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, kye said:

During the livestream around S9-gate

I think we are probably a few days away from discovering that S9-gate was really GH7-gate all along.

At the time the rest of them started gathering in Osaka, I commented that there were quite a few MFT oriented channels there.

My speculation about that was that the S9 was being introduced as the “new” MFT camera to transition to FF.

When the “there was another camera they were going to launch but didn’t” stuff started up and then Undone wet his pants, I felt that I was wrong about that speculation and that they were sent back from the trip with an MFT camera as well to “review” when they got home.

The extent of his (likely bridge burning) reaction seemed too much for missing out on an interesting but not ground breaking camera so I think it’s because he’s missed out on a much more significant release.

With his response to the GH6 he could probably have expected to get a lot of views for his take on the GH7.

Incidentally, there is another Canadian YouTuber that received the exact same treatment in not being invited to Japan for the S9 (which he expected because he turns down all such trips) but, significantly, for the first time not being sent the camera.

Im sure he has his own views about that, erm, conspiracy.

So, Undone was not as singled out for “special” treatment from Panasonic as widely believed.

3 hours ago, hoodlum said:

I suspect many have had the GH7 for a few weeks now.  

Ambassador Ben Staley will be showing a new Short film this coming Saturday that was partially filmed with an unreleased Lumix camera, showcasing its action capabilities.

https://www.cinegearexpo.com/programs/la/cine-gear-news-la-expo-2024.pdf

Good catch!

Screenshot_20240602_231933_Drive.thumb.jpg.d6215b03c916b681a016a79a93ba2395.jpg

Another hint that it is really the GH7 (albeit the discontinuation of the GH6 is the stonger signal): Petapixel review of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 was filmed in a "redacted" camera. If someone wants a first look of the GH7 footage, there it is.

GH6 reminds me of the GX8 - both good cameras, but with some flaws that made them look bad.

GX8 was somewhat big (not a problem for me, but for a lot of people), its IBIS does not work for video, and had a massive shutter shock problem. And was the GH4 color science era, not the best also.

GH6 was the last bastion of the Panasonic's DFD stubbornness (like the were for ages with IBIS, "OIS is better"), and was the first GH camera (remembering that the "H" was for "hybrid") that had worse stills quality than the previous generation. Both problem were solved with the G9 II.

On 6/3/2024 at 5:00 AM, kye said:

I half suspect that he doesn't have a pre-release GH7 loaner. 

The issue is if Gerald has done not just "a negative review" but does what others have even called "the MOST negative Day 1 review" for the previous GH6, and then you stack on top of that all his negativity towards other Panasonic cameras... why would Panasonic ever trust him to give them a fair go review for the GH7?

Time flies when you get older, plus I think covid distorted all of our senses of time 

That kinda makes sense, but also doesn't. As the timing is too tight. 

Why not just show the demo GH7 to them and have loaners sent out? 

The change up makes sense if perhaps the GH7 was pushed back by a couple of months or more. 

But this is really only a small handful of weeks later since the Japan trip. Surely this trip could still have been used for a GH7 launch?? Rather than making a mess of the S9 launch!!

18 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm surprised they'd just straight up discontinue the GH6.

The GH7 will need to have some really killer features to stand out, I think. 

I'm surprised the GH6 is being discontinued so fast. Usually the pricing of the new model is high enough, especially compared to the price of the old model on sale, that there is enough of a pricing gap that the new and old model can sell alongside enough and be targeting quite different market niches. 

At least for a few months or perhaps a year plus, until the new model sees its first discounts. 

In extreme cases, you see the likes of Sony keeping their older models around for ages and ages, so they can keep on targeting lower and lower price points (as they get discounted) without having to target increasingly cheaper price points. 

Maybe we'll see soon see "a GH6mk2" , like the GH5mk2. It will have very small changes, enough to call it "mk2", but not so many changes that it costs much R&D at all for Panasonic. 

That then gets launched at an aggressive price point, so as to cater to everyone who wants "a cheaper GH7". 

21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I half suspect that he doesn't have a pre-release GH7 loaner. 

The issue is if Gerald has done not just "a negative review" but does what others have even called "the MOST negative Day 1 review" for the previous GH6, and then you stack on top of that all his negativity towards other Panasonic cameras... why would Panasonic ever trust him to give them a fair go review for the GH7?

Time flies when you get older, plus I think covid distorted all of our senses of time 

That kinda makes sense, but also doesn't. As the timing is too tight. 

Why not just show the demo GH7 to them and have loaners sent out? 

The change up makes sense if perhaps the GH7 was pushed back by a couple of months or more. 

But this is really only a small handful of weeks later since the Japan trip. Surely this trip could still have been used for a GH7 launch?? Rather than making a mess of the S9 launch!!

I'm surprised the GH6 is being discontinued so fast. Usually the pricing of the new model is high enough, especially compared to the price of the old model on sale, that there is enough of a pricing gap that the new and old model can sell alongside enough and be targeting quite different market niches. 

At least for a few months or perhaps a year plus, until the new model sees its first discounts. 

In extreme cases, you see the likes of Sony keeping their older models around for ages and ages, so they can keep on targeting lower and lower price points (as they get discounted) without having to target increasingly cheaper price points. 

Maybe we'll see soon see "a GH6mk2" , like the GH5mk2. It will have very small changes, enough to call it "mk2", but not so many changes that it costs much R&D at all for Panasonic. 

That then gets launched at an aggressive price point, so as to cater to everyone who wants "a cheaper GH7". 

Or they just want to distance themselves from it as much as possible.

Also, writing things off can help with your tax bill sometimes, so could be corporate finance hijinx.