Panasonic GH7

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

ProRes RAW is not owned by Atomos in any way.  It's Apple's codec.  The biggest problem thus far is that it's raw enough that it seems to violate Red's patent.  Black Magic raw, on the other hand, is apparently less raw in such a way that it skirts it (or at least, BM haven't been perceived as enough of a thread for Red to take any sort of legal action against it)

I think the the RED patents cover only compressed RAW in-camera recording, so using an external RAW recorder does not infringe them.

Blackmagic RAW is partly de-mosaiced, color space converted and processed before compression, so is a bit 'grey area' as to whether it's really raw anyway in the file. But the point is that it's designed to provide what you might call 'raw equivalent' post-processing flexibility.

From a YT video about BM RAW (the three processing blocks on the left are in-camera):

image.thumb.png.0f72a2d99746afb0f8bd6fde36d42d36.png

A Blackmagic RAW patent - https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/71/7a/bb/ae23088049e011/US20180367775A1.pdf - and the abstract from it:

Processing raw image data in a camera includes computing a luminance image from the raw image data, and computing a chrominance image corresponding to at least one of the sensor's image colors from the raw image data. The luminance image and chrominance image(s) can represent the same range of colors able to be represented in the raw image data. The chrominance image can have a lower resolution than that of the luminance image. A camera for performing the method is also disclosed.

The Single Most important thing, "has Gerald been invited or Not?"

On a more serious note, I feel Panasonic can squeeze out another 1/2 of dynamic range (from the G9ii) by tweaking the VLog, improving heat management and improving the Sensor coating further. That's 11.8 (G9ii) + 0.5 stops. That Full Frame territory. A few flavours of ProRes, BRAW and RAW wouldn't be too bad. They could shrink that horrible YAGH attachment that they made for the GH4, to about 1/3rd it's size, and have external multiple flavour RAW in the recorder. 

Latest 'spec' update on 43rumors.com (apply usual skepticism etc.) - note 'Prores internal Raw recording' is listed:

Most features of the Lumix G9II – >I guess this means same 25Mp G9II sensor?

Phase detection AF

Prores internal Raw recording

New XLR unit will be announced along the GH7. It has 32bit float recording

has large fan

Lumix LAB app support

in Stock in July

$2200 launch price for the GH7

1 hour ago, ac6000cw said:

Latest 'spec' update on 43rumors.com (apply usual skepticism etc.) - note 'Prores internal Raw recording' is listed:

There goes hopes of using Resolve - it doesn't support Prores RAW.

39 minutes ago, kye said:

There goes hopes of using Resolve - it doesn't support Prores RAW.

It doesn't, but if you're not in a rush, there's an app that dumps PRR to CinemaDNG with various compression options.  That or you can use something like Scratch to do some raw adjustments and then export as ProRes.  Definitely more of a pain than direct input, though.

8 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

It doesn't, but if you're not in a rush, there's an app that dumps PRR to CinemaDNG with various compression options.  That or you can use something like Scratch to do some raw adjustments and then export as ProRes.  Definitely more of a pain than direct input, though.

Massive PITA though.

Rumors now say the GH7 pricing is $2200

That's good news (was worried it might have been on the higher side of the two thousands, not low two thousands), and with how high inflation has been lately, I don't think we could have realistically have hoped for much better. 

11 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Or a card slot in the XLR unit?

ohhhh... that's an ingenious loophole! 

Kill two birds with one stone. 

13 hours ago, sanveer said:

On a more serious note, I feel Panasonic can squeeze out another 1/2 of dynamic range (from the G9ii) by tweaking the VLog, improving heat management and improving the Sensor coating further. That's 11.8 (G9ii) + 0.5 stops. That Full Frame territory. A few flavours of ProRes, BRAW and RAW wouldn't be too bad. They could shrink that horrible YAGH attachment that they made for the GH4, to about 1/3rd it's size, and have external multiple flavour RAW in the recorder. 

The YAGH was innovative for its time, nobody else had tried this, but I can't see them ever repeating in 2024 the now obvious mistakes of it:

1) it needed external power

2) was too big (having four SDI outputs for instance is great, but a bit overkill? 1x full size HDMI + 2x SDI independent outputs is enough for 97%+ of people) 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The YAGH was innovative for its time, nobody else had tried this, but I can't see them ever repeating in 2024 the now obvious mistakes of it:

1) it needed external power

2) was too big (having four SDI outputs for instance is great, but a bit overkill? 1x full size HDMI + 2x SDI independent outputs is enough for 97%+ of people) 

They can just make an external recorder for the GH7, which simultaneously records multiple flavours of RAW, with a built-in battery. Having such a contraption below the camera is great since other things can be out above. Though a rig within the new YAGH avatar would be great.

They don't need a sound recorder because the Panasonic DMV-XLR1 does a great job, expect  that's it's been replaced by better mics and preamps for 32-bit recording or stays the same, while the 32-but magic happens internally within the GH7? 

• Super Members

According to the man who leaves his kids inside so he can breathlessly announce a new camera rumour, this is the spec.

He plans to live blog the actual livestream announcement so they'll be making their own tea tonight.

773243221_ScreenShot2024-06-05at11_41_49.png.a58d1df3ab7d66485bf143ad352e8690.png

You gotta give it to Panasonic though, they took an entire market of loyal m4/3 users and halted any and all discussions about the full frame "myth" and made them loyal full frame shooters. And then when you think m4/3 is all but dead and buried... they flip the script and instead of releasing an S2H... they release the apex of m4/3 cameras.

I guess they learned from their mistake of sitting on the GH6 release for so long. Release m4/3 first and then full frame a year later...

Us dopes will buy both. 

40 minutes ago, mercer said:

You gotta give it to Panasonic though, they took an entire market of loyal m4/3 users and halted any and all discussions about the full frame "myth" and made them loyal full frame shooters. And then when you think m4/3 is all but dead and buried... they flip the script and instead of releasing an S2H... they release the apex of m4/3 cameras.

I guess they learned from their mistake of sitting on the GH6 release for so long. Release m4/3 first and then full frame a year later...

Us dopes will buy both. 

Come on. The GH7 is basically the G9M2 internals in a GH6 body positive form factor. Then add a few new bits of hardware and firmware. It's seems like the cheapest way they could possibly engineer the GH7. No new sensor, no new body design.

As for any S1 mk II it's unlikely until Q4, 2024.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:35 PM, Davide DB said:

given the patent war what raw format can be expected?

Apparently ProRes RAW. Which Black Magic refuses to support in Davinci Resolve due to the Atomos factor.

26 minutes ago, EspenB said:

Come on. The GH7 is basically the G9M2 internals in a GH6 body positive form factor. Then add a few new bits of hardware and firmware. It's seems like the cheapest way they could possibly engineer the GH7. No new sensor, no new body design.

You're saying it like it's a bad thing, but people really like the G9 II.  Putting its guts in a pro body, enabling internal raw, and charging only $300 more for it (judging by leaks) sounds pretty great to me.

6 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

You're saying it like it's a bad thing, but people really like the G9 II.  Putting its guts in a pro body, enabling internal raw, and charging only $300 more for it (judging by leaks) sounds pretty great to me.

Exactly. And then they add 32bit float internal audio... even with the added cost, it's a game changer for the one man band filmmaker.

That said, I'm probably not a customer. I've use the GH5, had the GH6 briefly and briefly had access to an S5iiX and I'm just not a Panasonic guy.