Panasonic GH7

Panasonic proved to have the best body and thermal design in the market. 

Just remember that Gh4 (unlimited 4K had the same GH3 body (1080p).

And we are still getting Sony cameras that heats like an oven...

Gh7 appears to have exactly the same GH6 body that is good to me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Gh7 appears to have exactly the same GH6 body that is good to me.

I was a happy GH6 user, but I didn't like the fan system. I find the one on the S5ii/x much more acceptable and discrete. I hope it's more on those lines than the latter. However, I find the flip-up or out screen a big reason to buy that camera over any other. It just worked perfectly and never really felt flimsy.

27 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I was a happy GH6 user, but I didn't like the fan system. I find the one on the S5ii/x much more acceptable and discrete. I hope it's more on those lines than the latter. However, I find the flip-up or out screen a big reason to buy that camera over any other. It just worked perfectly and never really felt flimsy.

I use my GH5MKII exclusively underwater. I will buy the GH7 hoping to find a GH6 housing on the used market. Saving 4K€...

https://www.nauticam.com/products/na-gh6-housing-for-panasonic-lumix-gh6-camera

1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

You're saying it like it's a bad thing, but people really like the G9 II.  Putting its guts in a pro body, enabling internal raw, and charging only $300 more for it (judging by leaks) sounds pretty great to me.

Yes and no.

Panasonics market share are miniscule, they have to operate at a slim budget. Thus the GH7 is lots of used parts and bits, with some extras added in. We should probably be glad the finally made a GH-PDAF instead of abandoning the mount altogether.

That said, we could perhaps wanted something more in the flagship camera. Improved sensor with faster read out. There is also the dream of the internal ND filter, which now looks more likely to be implemented in the S1 mk II series in the late fall.

4 minutes ago, EspenB said:

Thus the GH7 is lots of used parts and bits, with some extras added in.

So.... like almost every camera ever released? They're not starting from the ground up every year or two.

Personally I care about the overall package, its usability, price and the results it delivers. I actually prefer when they re-use body designs as then I can re-use cages and rigging.

2 hours ago, EspenB said:

Come on. The GH7 is basically the G9M2 internals in a GH6 body positive form factor. Then add a few new bits of hardware and firmware. It's seems like the cheapest way they could possibly engineer the GH7. No new sensor, no new body design.

Would you prefer they spent a lot of time and money on a new body design and designing a new sensor, delaying the camera and having to charge a lot more money for it?

Personally I think they've done exactly what they should have done - merge the best parts of the GH6 with the best parts of the G9 ii, to create what's hopefully going to be the best pro-video orientated micro43 hybrid camera ever.

49 minutes ago, EspenB said:

The Nauticam housing prices have skyrocketed in the last years.

I have the Nauticam housing for the GH3 and GH4.

I had them since GH2 but now I'm thinking to switch to another Brand. 

10 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Would you prefer they spent a lot of time and money on a new body design and designing a new sensor, delaying the camera and having to charge a lot more money for it?

Personally I think they've done exactly what they should have done - merge the best parts of the GH6 with the best parts of the G9 ii, to create what's hopefully going to be the best pro-video orientated micro43 hybrid camera ever.

Wasn't it Apple who was designing phones on a tic-toc rythem? Panasonic is clearly doing the same. GH5 (tic), GH5ii (toc), GH6 (tic), GH7(toc)- it makes sense. The "tic" is usually a big jump over the previous generation and the "toc" is the one you wish the "tic" was after using it for awhile. The GH6 had quite a few bugs (banding with backlight, slow startups, etc.). Still, it is a great camera Panasonic should be proud of, but I think the GH7 is the one people wanted from the GH6.

15 minutes ago, Al Dolega said:

So.... like almost every camera ever released? They're not starting from the ground up every year or two.

Personally I care about the overall package, its usability, price and the results it delivers. I actually prefer when they re-use body designs as then I can re-use cages and rigging.

I think many had preferred the more slimmer fan solution from the S5M2-series.

Also, by re-using the GH6 body style it might have dual card slots of different types.

All in all I think we can acknowledge that the GH7 will not be a ground breaking design, compared to what has been issued before.

14 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

LOL. How many months to merge the GH6 body with G9M2 internals? The GH7 was probably held back until the GH6 inventory was low enough.

54 minutes ago, EspenB said:

Panasonics market share are miniscule, they have to operate at a slim budget. Thus the GH7 is lots of used parts and bits, with some extras added in. We should probably be glad the finally made a GH-PDAF instead of abandoning the mount altogether.

The Pyxis is almost literally the exact guts of another BlackMagic camera that was released more than a year ago, but moved into a cube and people are peeing their pants in excitement for it.  The FX3 is an A7S3 in a different body.  The R5C is the R5 in a different body.  The industry is full of successful cameras that are basically "cheaper camera, but cinema body."  Not sure why Panasonic should be held to a different standard.

34 minutes ago, EspenB said:

How many months to merge the GH6 body with G9M2 internals?

You seem to know better than Panasonic how long it takes to develop, produce prototypes, debug/refine/test/certify, then make pre-production units, then an initial production batch and then gear up for full production - so why don't you enlighten us?

(I've worked as an electronics design engineer for 40+ years, so I have some idea of development timescales)

34 minutes ago, EspenB said:

The GH7 was probably held back until the GH6 inventory was low enough.

Maybe - they'll likely do whatever they think will make them the most money overall/minimise any losses - it's a business with shareholders to keep happy and employees to pay...

1 hour ago, EspenB said:

Panasonics market share are miniscule, they have to operate at a slim budget. Thus the GH7 is lots of used parts and bits, with some extras added in.

Nothing bad about that - it's what companies do all the time. Car makers are past-masters at 'parts bin' design, it spreads the base 'platform' development costs across more vehicles and means they have different models to target different parts of the market. How many variants of the same generation of iPhone do Apple sell?

I suspect persuading Panasonic higher management to fund the considerable development costs of a new, higher performance, 4/3 sensor for m43 cameras like the GH6/G9 ii/GH7 was quite difficult (versus probably just abandoning any serious m43 camera development). We just have to hope it works out in the long run for the future of Panasonics camera division.

Looks like rumours was correct. GH6 style body, still only one CF Express card slot.

1 CF Express card,

5728x3024 Apple ProRes RAW HQ up to 30fps, data rate at 3.3Gbps or non-HQ at 2.2Gbps at 24fps

• Administrators

A dream GH camera, although feel a bit sorry for GH6 owners and those who weren't invited to the launch like Gerald.

Incidentally Panasonic did not even email me that it was coming out or give me any press release.

Panasonic marketing at their finest!