Panasonic GH7

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

A dream GH camera, although feel a bit sorry for GH6 owners and those who weren't invited to the launch like Gerald.

Incidentally Panasonic did not even email me that it was coming out or give me any press release.

Panasonic marketing at their finest!

Gerald did receive the GH7 from Panasonic.

Oh boy, these Gerald studio colors, please make them undone! A pink ode to the purpleblind gear geeks. What was all that fuzz about! He holds a GH7 in his hands for complaining about missing out on dining with the gear gang in Osaka. I'm so grateful to myself I did not bother to watch his lamento.

GH7 with Arri Log C, looking forward to its implementation. Would love Panasonic to send Andrew a camera to test, so I don't have to watch videos shot in a pink lit studio of a purple nightmare.

The new DR Boost sounds like a better implementation. Hopefully, they fixed the chroma noise that plagued the GH6's DR Boost mode. I preferred the GH6 over the S5iiX, but the chroma noise was a deal breaker for me. I have to deal with it on my 5D3/ML Raw, no reason to mess with it on a modern camera if the shadows in bright daylight are riddled with it.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thats quite the surprise.

The handheld Alexa dream finally realised ?

Official certification by ARRI is surprising indeed!

If anything can cause an explosion in seeing Panasonic mirrorless on film sets I work on, it would be THIS! 

Would instantly make the GH7 the #1 choice for crash cam / B Cam / etc, anything that needs very awkward mounting, such as mounting a camera for a shower scene or riding a motorbike or a snorricam. 

17 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Official certification by ARRI is surprising indeed!

If anything can cause an explosion in seeing Panasonic mirrorless on film sets I work on, it would be THIS! 

Would instantly make the GH7 the #1 choice for crash cam / B Cam / etc, anything that needs very awkward mounting, such as mounting a camera for a shower scene or riding a motorbike or a snorricam. 

Ohhhhh.... it will be available for the GH6 too!!!

In addition, ARRI LogC3 recording can also be used on the LUMIX GH6 in the same way as the LUMIX GH7 by using the Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU3A, with the exemption of the REAL TIME LUT function which is not available on this model.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2024/06/05/panasonic-lumix-gh7-internal-prores-raw-recording-32-bit-float-audio-recording-arri-logc3/ 

18 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Naive questions 

1. what’s the benefit of this over s52 or g9ii ?

2. how does arri c log make this better? 

I think s5 2x is an old sensor, the reading is not as fast as gh7 sensor.

arri c log make it easy to color match Alexa to this gh7. 

Also the Arri LogC curve and color science is considered the best in the industry. One of the biggest selling points for Resolve is the ability to "mimic" LogC via a Color Space Transform, so now that you can get that in camera with the GH7 with IBIS, and usable AF... working natively in FCPX via ProRes or ProRes Raw, is a pretty big deal.

The GH7 is THE camera I never knew I always wanted and probably won't get. Maybe.

But once again, the problem with the GH series of cameras and flagship m4/3 cameras, in general, is the cost. Although $2200 is a reasonable price for the features you're getting, for me, it only makes sense if you're going all in and getting the 32bit audio unit and the LogC key... at that point... after you add a lens or two, you're looking at 3-4 grand... and then you're in R5C, Z8 territory... but then if you go that route and get lenses for those systems, you're in C70 or Komodo territory. It's a never ending game of upselling that I just can't justify for a hobby.

I will be curious to see where the GH series goes from here. This seems like an apex for m4/3. You can only assume that the GH8 will be GH8K, and I'd love to see a GHX eventually, but I'm not sure it will have the legs to last that long. I can only imagine that the YT twits are already planning their future, September videos stating... "Why I'm selling my GH7..."

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Ohhhhh.... it will be available for the GH6 too!!!

In addition, ARRI LogC3 recording can also be used on the LUMIX GH6 in the same way as the LUMIX GH7 by using the Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU3A, with the exemption of the REAL TIME LUT function which is not available on this model.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2024/06/05/panasonic-lumix-gh7-internal-prores-raw-recording-32-bit-float-audio-recording-arri-logc3/ 

gh7 still has advantage over gh6, as gh7 can record prores raw, and has better dr. so gh7 can match to Alexa even easier.