Panasonic GH7

Yep, it is coming - not surprising giving the latest news.

https://www.43rumors.com/confirmed-panasonic-will-announce-the-new-lumix-gh7-on-june-5/

"Unconfirmed" specs:

Most features of the Lumix G9II 

internal RAW

new 32bit float recording methods via a new XLR unit 

has large fan

Lumix LAB app support

in Stock in July

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

given the patent war what raw format can be expected?

You'd assume it would be licensed from one of the existing RAW format patent holders, not a brand new format.

Panasonic has worked with Atomos to get external Prores RAW, but who owns that patent?  If it's Atomos then giving RAW support without having to buy an external recorder wouldn't seem like a desirable strategy for Atomos' perspective, although maybe they cut a big cheque?
Or maybe it's not Atomos that owns the patent, or the rights to it?

BM or RED seem equally unlikely.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

BM or RED seem equally unlikely.

Don't Pana and BM have an agreement for M43 format and also L mount? Couldn't it be BRaw?

Pana has its raw format on varicams but I don't think it is compressed, right?

ProRes RAW is not owned by Atomos in any way.  It's Apple's codec.  The biggest problem thus far is that it's raw enough that it seems to violate Red's patent.  Black Magic raw, on the other hand, is apparently less raw in such a way that it skirts it (or at least, BM haven't been perceived as enough of a thread for Red to take any sort of legal action against it)

6 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Don't Pana and BM have an agreement for M43 format and also L mount? Couldn't it be BRaw?

Pana has its raw format on varicams but I don't think it is compressed, right?

Varicam RAW is uncompressed DPX with an external unit.
Source: https://na.panasonic.com/us/trends/raw-capture-varicam-lt-and-convergent-design-odyssey-7q

They could go the FP route and just have uncompressed Cinema DNG files, but it's not particularly elegant.

Panasonic and BM are both part of the L-mount alliance, and MFT is an open standard from Panasonic and Olympus, so in a way they're agreements, but Panasonic also supported external RAW with Atomos who are a competing ecosystem to BRAW / Resolve, so I would estimate that Panasonic and BM aren't secret best friends. 

50 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Would be wild if Panasonic delivers raw in the GH7 via "an external unit"

But the external unit is merely a battery grip with an extra card slot. 

...or an optional unit that fits an NVME SSD

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

If its on top of a very good preamp. Otherwise it would be like taking a photo in a dark environment at ISO 51200 with 16bit raw. 

Well yeah obviously if its terrible quality then it doesn't matter whether it's 16, 24 or 32 bit, it'll suck. Assuming the preamps are roughly in line with what you get on most prosumer equipment, and that it does some kind of dual gain merging like virtually every other prosumer 32 bit recorder, and that the module doesn't physically break when you breathe on it, then 32 bit float is a huge improvement for a huge number of people.

25 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Well yeah obviously if its terrible quality then it doesn't matter whether it's 16, 24 or 32 bit, it'll suck. Assuming the preamps are roughly in line with what you get on most prosumer equipment, and that it does some kind of dual gain merging like virtually every other prosumer 32 bit recorder, and that the module doesn't physically break when you breathe on it, then 32 bit float is a huge improvement for a huge number of people.

and isn't 15x the size of the camera.

I mean, seriously:

image.thumb.png.e610b7e9e05cc2b585b1e674dd9d7ae3.png

Just another instance of "people who want quality must be fine with a humungous camera".

29 minutes ago, kye said:

Also true lol.

I'm personally fine with a large camera for what I do now. I could do with a different form factor though. But I do appreciate that lots of people like or need photo-cam style bodies, and hey if now we can have the same thing as before, but without clipped audio, I think that's pretty awesome!

I'm actually pretty surprised that Blackmagic didn't do it with their new cine cam, or even the Pyxis. Maybe Canon will have 32 bit float in their June 5 cinema announcement? I'm pretty excited to see what they announce anyway.

2 hours ago, kye said:

I mean, seriously:

image.thumb.png.e610b7e9e05cc2b585b1e674dd9d7ae3.png

Just another instance of "people who want quality must be fine with a humungous camera".

This here is both a top handle and an audio accessory. 

If you want to mount a mini short gun such as the Deity SMic3S or a Sanken CS1e then this is the logical way to do it, be using a top handle too. 

So let's ignore the top handle for a moment, as that size doesn't matter.

Can the audio accessory actually be made any smaller?

It really can't be, not significantly so. Not if you wish to keep full size XLR inputs plus the knobs/switches for direct control over it (vs doing menu deep diving). Which is the entire point of it!!

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This here is both a top handle and an audio accessory. 

If you want to mount a mini short gun such as the Deity SMic3S or a Sanken CS1e then this is the logical way to do it, be using a top handle too. 

So let's ignore the top handle for a moment, as that size doesn't matter.

Can the audio accessory actually be made any smaller?

It really can't be, not significantly so. Not if you wish to keep full size XLR inputs plus the knobs/switches for direct control over it (vs doing menu deep diving). Which is the entire point of it!!

Can you mount the accessory without the handle?

From memory.... yes? (in the case specifically of the Sonys)

As they use their proprietary smart shoe connection, which connects to the base of the handle. But then at the top of the handle there is another proprietary smart shoe connection which is where the audio module is attached to it. 

I imagine some sort of enhanced battery grip with audio part embedded. Something like the old GH4 battery grip with xlr input or... an updated audio input of the current gh5 one.