Panasonic GH7

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

If you using an 8mm lens on your GH5, it will be the equivalent of about an 11mm lens on the GH7 in DCI 4k RAW mode. Open Gate 5.7k RAW will have the same FOV as there is no extra crop in that mode (so an 8mm lens will still be 8mm).

My Pana 8-18 on GH5 in 4K become 16-36mm I thought the extra raw crop would add to the normal 2x crop.

These crops don't fit in my head 🙂

If you using an 8mm lens on your GH5, it will be the equivalent of about an 11mm lens on the GH7 in DCI 4k RAW mode. Open Gate 5.7k RAW will have the same FOV as there is no extra crop in that mode (so an 8mm lens will still be 8mm).

My Pana 8-18 on GH5 in 4K become 16-36mm I thought the extra raw crop would add to the normal 2x crop.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, kye said:

I've seen some early ARRI vs GH7 LogC images, and let's say they're....  not similar.

For anyone hoping to get a pocket ARRI, lower your expectations.

.....and go back to working on your colour grading.

Have you got a link for the comparisons ?

I've not seen anything from the limited number of people that have one in hand that shows much of anything in LogC3 let alone an A/B against an Alexa etc. so I've been waiting for the like of CVP etc to get one to show that sort of comparison.

I've seen one frame on Twitter shot in LogC3 that made me think "mmm that is actually quite nice" but I've read a comment from whoever it is that did that video you posted the other day that says its "confirmed" not coming to S5ii etc so my bubble has been burst on that front.

7 hours ago, kye said:

I've seen some early ARRI vs GH7 LogC images, and let's say they're....  not similar.

For anyone hoping to get a pocket ARRI, lower your expectations.

.....and go back to working on your colour grading.

I think I've seen everything there is to see about the GH7 online and still haven't found anything longer than a few seconds of logC 3, so it would be great if you could provide links to what you refer to.

3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

The raw crop will add to the normal 2x crop.  If you shoot in open gate or in 6k mode, the raw crop should be 0x extra crop.  If you set the camera to 4K mode, the raw crop will be about 1.5x and it will be effectively a 3x crop vs full frame.

I had a hard time listening to the dude next to the Panasonic man, but the interview is intercut with logC footage from the GH7 and a longer bit in the end of the video, shot in auto exposure for some daft reason. But the colors look really good to me, better and more Alexa-like than a color space transform in DaVinci, for sure.

Aja Cion reference was a compliment to its thick raw colour in parts:) @kyeHopefully we get to see thick footage without screwed up highlights. I don't mind partially blown out highlights if that is within convincing artistic choices and due to the necessities of the recorded moment. Bmpcc is not a dynamic range beast but it handles overexposed areas pretty gracefully.

@Simon YoungThe video is private now.:)

On 6/9/2024 at 3:51 PM, kye said:

Panasonic must be pretty confident about the LogC implementation.  They got this guy to shoot a film with ARRI as A-cam (Mini LF) and GH7 as B-cam, and also specifically told him to try and break it (which he failed at, despite it being kicked into a brick wall and falling onto a concrete floor from shoulder height - twice - as well as taking other knocks).

and the short film itself:

tastelessly shot and lit imo. they really couldve used olan collardy again

14 hours ago, Davide DB said:

If you're shooting raw at anything less than the full resolution, then of course there will be a crop!

This will be true for any camera. Could be Panasonic, ARRI, RED, Nikon, Canon, whoever! It's a law of physics / maths / the universe. 

Want to shoot at a low resolution but with the full sensor? Then choose anything else but raw. 

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have you got a link for the comparisons ?

I've not seen anything from the limited number of people that have one in hand that shows much of anything in LogC3 let alone an A/B against an Alexa etc. so I've been waiting for the like of CVP etc to get one to show that sort of comparison.

I've seen one frame on Twitter shot in LogC3 that made me think "mmm that is actually quite nice" but I've read a comment from whoever it is that did that video you posted the other day that says its "confirmed" not coming to S5ii etc so my bubble has been burst on that front.

They were shared privately, but there will be a YT video, so will share that when it surfaces.  The images I saw were partly graded so were more a work in progress sort of thing and most likely will get changed before publishing.

I haven't seen comparisons of GH7 V-Log capture -> CST to LogC vs GH7 LogC capture, which would be the comparison you'd want to see before making a purchase decision.  It might be that the GH7 LogC doesn't match Alexa colours, but it might still be better than capturing in V-Log and grading from there.

I think it's a real pity that ARRI didn't go absolutely nuts and profile the sensor and then have a 64x64x64 LUT that matches it to an Alexa within the GH7 DR range.  It's not like the GH7 is going to cannibalise Alexa sales....

On 6/9/2024 at 7:13 PM, zlfan said:

have you tested em1 series and gh6 and g 9 2 in terms of ibis at focal length greater than 100mm, at least greater than 50 mm? I guess Olympus ibis still beats penny by a mile at long focal length, which is critical for manual focus lenses adapted to m43 bodies. 

No, I never used Olympus cameras, only the f1.2 lenses.
But I heard good things about their IBIS.

5 hours ago, Evgeniy85 said:

Oh man, don't you love youtubers and their thumbnail game? "This 3/4 adaptor changes everything!!!!!!"

Technically that's the title which they're optimizing when they say "This 3/4 adaptor changes everything!!!!!!", not the thumbnail