Panasonic GH7

58 minutes ago, lsquare said:

I'm not convinced the influencers can give a negative review if they want to maintain a good relationship with their camera supplier. 

what a filler of a comment. theories about time travelling are even a better waste of time. I usually let mediocrazy on forums slip. But you are one heck of a time travelling professor. 😂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

However, we are truly insatiable. The GH7 is not yet available and we are already thinking about the GH8 and the 8K!

You're still thinking about the GH8...?

I'm wondering if the GH9 will have 12k120 in 10-bit 4:2:2.  I have given up on it being internal raw in that mode, but my cat videos won't be cinematic if it's only 4:2:0 and doesn't have at least 17 stops of DR.

As an astute poster recently commented, if ARRI can do 17 stops with the Alexa 35 then why not Panny?

I don't think I'm asking for too much when I expect the cameras specs to compensate for my complete lack of skill.

19 minutes ago, kye said:

As an astute poster recently commented, if ARRI can do 17 stops with the Alexa 35 then why not Panny?

Is it only one astute poster or are there more of them? We could do a petition for them so they can finally get the chance to decide if they would like to buy a Panasonic camera.😂

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I feel overwhelmed by forum posts of bots, bats and time travellers. As you being a total newbie to video, as you stated here, it is both very akward, that you posted extensively about your FZ1000 in 2014 and after a ten year forum break you have become "a total newbie" to videography.

To be fair, people can be dabbling in videography and still ten years later be a newbie at it. 
I've been dabbling at being a Gaffer for ten years now, am still a total newbie at it. (well, maybe if I'm being generous, an "advanced skilled newbie", if such a thing exists) 

3 hours ago, kye said:

That's coming in the future GH17

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

To be fair, people can be dabbling in videography and still ten years later be a newbie at it. 
I've been dabbling at being a Gaffer for ten years now, am still a total newbie at it. (well, maybe if I'm being generous, an "advanced skilled newbie", if such a thing exists) 

Some people are looking for trouble and then when they find it, they get hurt. He'll get exposed. Sooner or later. 

5 hours ago, kye said:

I'm wondering if the GH9 will have 12k120 in 10-bit 4:2:2.  I have given up on it being internal raw in that mode, but my cat videos won't be cinematic if it's only 4:2:0 and doesn't have at least 17 stops of DR.

I don't think I'm asking for too much when I expect the cameras specs to compensate for my complete lack of skill.

You forgot the timeless pink unicorn: internal NDs 

P.S.

I heard voices about GH10...

IMG-20240619-WA0022.thumb.jpg.783c436490aedfd867f4683fb99a425d.jpg

3 hours ago, lsquare said:

Some people are looking for trouble and then when they find it, they get hurt. He'll get exposed. Sooner or later. 

I imagined that you might be trouble. And boy, did you overdeliver. I already fully exposed myself, nothing new here, duh. And so did you. Your reaction to a cheeky still plausible question speaks books. You want to be hurting me now? Well, that shows some colors. Exposed. But reading your other posts is kinda indicative already. And reading the mature and very nicely written post from 2014, it does not fit the current affairs of current forum user lsquare. But hey, you might still be able to appreciate that a GH7 open gate has the same y-axis pixel count of 8K 16 to 9. How long did you enjoy your FZ1000 and how did you evolve from there to being a "complete newbie"?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

To be fair, people can be dabbling in videography and still ten years later be a newbie at it.  I've been dabbling at being a Gaffer for ten years now, am still a total newbie at it. (well, maybe if I'm being generous, an "advanced skilled newbie", if such a thing exists)

Come on, you are not a "complete newbie" to lighting. Or are you?:) If you'd state: "Hey there, I'm a complete newbie to the FS7. Do you guys also think it's not half as good as a C500II with its 6K mode?", I would ask you, how could you be a complete newbie having worked with it a couple times? If you'd then answer: you keyboard warrior, pedophile, no girlfriend, then I'd assume some serious oddity about Ironfilm.

By the way, when can I buy that GH17?😊

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Come on, you are not a "complete newbie" to lighting. Or are you?:)

Well, "newbie at lighting" vs "newbie at being a Gaffer" are two different things. 

And depends on the standard being judged. 

Professional standards: 

LX Trainee = I'm a very strong "competent" at that, I'd hope

LX Assist = I'm "competent", I think

Best Boy = I'm not deserving of that title, but willing to fake it and give it a try

Gaffer = I'm incompetent 

Low/no Budget short film standards:

LX Trainee = shouldn't exist on short films of this level, unless it's someone's literal pre-teen kid

LX Assist = am very strong at this

Best Boy = above competent

Gaffer = competent 

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

If you'd state: "Hey there, I'm a complete newbie to the FS7. Do you guys also think it's not half as good as a C500II with its 6K mode?", I would ask you, how could you be a complete newbie having worked with it a couple times?

I mean, I own a Sony FS7

Wouldn't mean I'm an expert on it, although I guess compared to some people who claim to be one then I am. 

And "is it half as good as a C500II?" is an interesting question, I am not sure? As obviously the C500mk2 is a vastly better camera, but is it "twice as good"??? 

Also depends on how are you using it, some random sit down corporate interview on a low budget? The FS7 is probably "95% as good" as the C500mk2 for that purpose. 

You are not a "complete newbie" and you are not lsquare.  Otherwise I would have to question your trademark beard. And that would really suck!:)

You nailed it! Low budget gaffers are the lighting assistents on larger sets. It's a hard road to become a gaffer for full budget narratives.

Codec, lowlight and colors are stronger on the C500II of course. Both great cameras. I didn't like the Sony too much under tungsten but would use it outdoors anytime.

Honestly as someone who works in the Youtube sphere doing quality content every day, the specs on new cameras cease to interest me. We plateaued a couple of years ago in that regard. I can pick up nearly any camera from the last few years and get quality results from it when run through my image pipeline and such. Now when I'm given footage shot by someone else, that is a completely different story. Skill really does matter. 

What vastly interests me though, are the little things added to cameras every year that make my life easier. I would trade a whole stop of dynamic range and a bunch of pixels for quality built in NDs on mirrorless cameras. 

18 minutes ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

Honestly as someone who works in the Youtube sphere doing quality content every day, the specs on new cameras cease to interest me. We plateaued a couple of years ago in that regard. I can pick up nearly any camera from the last few years and get quality results from it when run through my image pipeline and such. Now when I'm given footage shot by someone else, that is a completely different story. Skill really does matter. 

What vastly interests me though, are the little things added to cameras every year that make my life easier. I would trade a whole stop of dynamic range and a bunch of pixels for quality built in NDs on mirrorless cameras. 

Look no further than the GH8.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

this is why I like to use c100 mk ii. I use it without the top handle xlr module at all. it has nd, good grip, angled evf, lcd, double recording. with some tuning, it can be sharp enough even by today's standard, as it is a 4k sensor. not much larger than a modern mirrorless if you put addons to it. 

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

this is why I like to use c100 mk ii. I use it without the top handle xlr module at all. it has nd, good grip, angled evf, lcd, double recording. with some tuning, it can be sharp enough even by today's standard, as it is a 4k sensor. not much larger than a modern mirrorless if you put addons to it. 

Interesting, does the dynamic range keep up with modern cameras? 

On 6/20/2024 at 5:08 AM, kye said:

Looks like 16 stops will be the limit with Panasonic's new organic sensor tech. Hopefully it will be in the GH9... The organic sensor tech will also included Global Shutter and (functionally) on sensor ND...

https://www.eoshd.com/news/ibc-show-panasonic-8k-organic-sensor-prototype-camera-with-on-chip-nd-and-16-stop-dynamic-range/

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-again-displayed-an-organic-sensor-prototype/

https://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/13982

4 hours ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

Yeah we hit this point for many photographers a decade ago (perhaps even longer ago.... 15yrs ago?)

And I feel for many videographers / filmmakers we've in recent years hit this point for them as well. 

Just now, IronFilm said:

Yeah we hit this point for many photographers a decade ago (perhaps even longer ago.... 15yrs ago?)

And I feel for many videographers / filmmakers we've in recent years hit this point for them as well. 

Yeah, like photographers, there is very little reason for companies to want to upgrade their gear anymore. It's pretty much a matter of waiting until cameras and such are hitting retirement physically, then choosing an "upgrade" that makes the most sense feature and budget wise. We have an FX6, A7IV, two FX30s, an R7, and a GH5 we use for various projects spread across several studios in two different countries. All those cameras have pros and cons, and work well for different things, but for the most part cut together when needed. At this point the only reason we would buy a new camera is when an old one bites the dust. 

4 hours ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

What vastly interests me though, are the little things added to cameras every year that make my life easier. I would trade a whole stop of dynamic range and a bunch of pixels for quality built in NDs on mirrorless cameras

Indeed. As above, for videographers, the specs have been there for a few years now re. sensors etc and it’s more the other stuff such as stabilisation and potential of in camera VND’s etc that interests me.

For photographers, even longer. 

Lenses, I think there’s still a lot more scope with faster and more compact options being my interest.

My holy grail is the max performance out of the smallest units, bodies and lenses.

Stuff such as the Sigma FP, the Lumix S9 and for stills, the Sony A7RV and compact zooms such as Sigma’s 28-70mm f2.8 and Tamron’s 28-75mm f2.8.

These combos for me are ‘peak camera’ in almost every way so for anything to come in the future, there’s nothing I actually need or even want.

But stuff such as even better IBIS, intended VND, greater DR etc are all welcome.