Panasonic GH7

by my experience, high dr is needed for situations like half shading and half sunlit face. for many common situations, 11-stop dr is good enough. for extreme cases, lighting can help to reduce dr, or moving the subjects to another venue. dr is important, but not that much weight like current thinking. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, zlfan said:

by my experience, high dr is needed for situations like half shading and half sunlit face. for many common situations, 11-stop dr is good enough. for extreme cases, lighting can help to reduce dr, or moving the subjects to another venue. dr is important, but not that much weight like current thinking. 

This was shot on the first generation of red one sensor. It has very narrow dr according to the current standard. The sensor is tuned for skin tones. Can latest sensors do similar skin tones too? 

9 hours ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

Yeah, like photographers, there is very little reason for companies to want to upgrade their gear anymore. It's pretty much a matter of waiting until cameras and such are hitting retirement physically, then choosing an "upgrade" that makes the most sense feature and budget wise. We have an FX6, A7IV, two FX30s, an R7, and a GH5 we use for various projects spread across several studios in two different countries. All those cameras have pros and cons, and work well for different things, but for the most part cut together when needed. At this point the only reason we would buy a new camera is when an old one bites the dust. 

And that's a big reason why sales have dropped off a cliff, not just because of the rise of better smartphones (although that's a huge reason too!).

4 hours ago, zlfan said:

This was shot on the first generation of red one sensor. It has very narrow dr according to the current standard. The sensor is tuned for skin tones. Can latest sensors do similar skin tones too? 

Mixed feeling... Nostalgic one with the joy of such an achievement those guys did it by then. Impossible to forget the adventure and those behind that journey :- )

5 hours ago, zlfan said:

This was shot on the first generation of red one sensor

That was a very nice picture, to my eyes at least.

If only every day was overcast though, - limited DR to deal with!

6 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

That was a very nice picture, to my eyes at least.

If only every day was overcast though, - limited DR to deal with!

if it is a sunny day and you shoot at the noon, you can put up a canopy on top of those two beauties. Or drag those two ladies to some shade. There are ways to handle high dr. 

sensor technology is actually very difficult to improve. most camera companies are doing quick fixes. if customers like fast readout, longer battery life, less heat, then go from ccd to cmos, but then the color and global shutter are lost. if customers like low light, then make thin color array layer, then color is even worse. if customers want high resolution, then give them high res, but the pixel size is so small, a lot of issues occur. if customers want high dr, no problem, but you have to sacrifice mid tones, etc. finally, you realize that it is not an improvement, it is a look, with pros and cons associated with it. 

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

Why does it appear that the great Ebrahim Saadawi is among us ... 🤣🤣🤣

Do you mean the uncle who was the president of a filmschool or the nephew, student of the cinema arts of that very same university? Both of them were very prominent posters on this forum. I think moderators or Andrew himself banned that alias due to a fraud.

23 minutes ago, zlfan said:

do you know that I can initiate a libel law suit against you? you stupid fool. lol. 

That was a good one!😂 You almost had me believe you would be the two Ebrahims.😂 Each swinging around with a Red One on their shoulders and filming a magnus opus while talking to their top of the crop lawyers. MX sensor of course! Gentlemen of great taste only settle with the very best.

I didn't mention anything or anyone here. I was merely reminiscing about a very eminent grandfather-grandson filmmaker duo, who are also famous polymaths and who haven't apparently gotten their due.

Has it become a crime to remember great filmmakers? 

28 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I didn't mention anything or anyone here. I was merely reminiscing about a very eminent grandfather-grandson filmmaker duo, who are also famous polymaths and who haven't apparently gotten their due.

Has it become a crime to remember great filmmakers? 

you started a topic before trying to say that I am this Egypt scammer Ebrahim Saadawi. when you say more you are accumulating more evidences against you in the future. you dumb ass. 

49 minutes ago, zlfan said:

you started a topic before trying to say that I am this Egypt scammer Ebrahim Saadawi. when you say more you are accumulating more evidences against you in the future. you dumb ass. 

Oh boy, now you could be in trouble. Dr. Saadawi might sue you now for calling him a scammer.😂 I had forgotten his last name. Saadawi you said or was it Sadaawi? Egypt, really? I forgot that too.

25 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Oh boy, now you could be in trouble. Dr. Saadawi might sue you now for calling him a scammer.😂 I had forgotten his last name. Saadawi you said or was it Sadaawi? Egypt, really? I forgot that too.

dr. saadawi likes Panasonic, his alias may have panny in it. lol. 

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Do you mean the uncle who was the president of a filmschool or the nephew, student of the cinema arts of that very same university? Both of them were very prominent posters on this forum. I think moderators or Andrew himself banned that alias due to a fraud.

That was a good one!😂 You almost had me believe you would be the two Ebrahims.😂 Each swinging around with a Red One on their shoulders and filming a magnus opus while talking to their top of the crop lawyers. MX sensor of course! Gentlemen of great taste only settle with the very best.

is this pennysvhs another alias of sanveer? you two always show up at the same time, attacking me as this Egyptian scammer Dr. Saadawi. 

are you the same person behind the screen?

I seriously think so. 

4 minutes ago, zlfan said:

is this pennysvhs another alias of sanveer? you two always show up at the same time, attacking me as this Egyptian scammer Dr. Saadawi. 

are you the same person behind the screen?

I seriously think so. 

this guy uses pennysvhs to show his professionalism, and uses sanveer for personal attack. great separation. you'd better to use a third one to echo the sanveer, instead of using this pennysvhs one, as now this pennysvhs one is contaminated by this sanveer. people will doubt your professionalism starting from now.  

Sanveer and me always online at the same time? One thing you can be sure of, you are not me, despite showing up at the same time here.😂 This is cracking!😂

There is no "pennysvhs" on this forum btw. And if one plans on insulting and threatening people, this might not be a good place for them neither on this forum.

Or there might be, inspiring great opportunities for humoristic pleasures.

36 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Sanveer and me always online at the same time? One thing you can be sure of, you are not me, despite showing up at the same time here.😂 This is cracking!😂

There is no "pennysvhs" on this forum btw. And if one plans on insulting and threatening people, this might not be a good place for them neither on this forum.

Or there might be, inspiring great opportunities for humoristic pleasures.

if you pannysvhs attack me personally, either use this alias, or the sanveer alias, you sacrifice much more than me. 

I make videos for my own YouTube channel. I don't need to please producers or directors or agency managers. I am based in North America, not in Europe. this forum is not my local community. I come here to know the latest hybrids, which is the forte of this forum. I can express whatever I think is right on video making here. it does not affect my real life at all. 

but you are different. this forum is your local community. some of the members may know you in person professionally. if you give an impression of attacking other members personally because they are not in accordance with your ideas on video making, you are in big trouble in your real life. 

if I am a producer or a director based in europe, I am not going to hire a dp who is going to bad mouth me and spread rumors about me if I can not please him professionally. you are losing real life job opportunities due to your bad behavior here on this online forum. 

sorry, pannysvhs/sanveer, you have more to lose to have a war against me. if you don't believe what I say, you can go on your personal attack on me. I will counteract your unprofessional behavior accordingly. you will be back burned. lol.