Panasonic GH7

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Official certification by ARRI is surprising indeed!

If anything can cause an explosion in seeing Panasonic mirrorless on film sets I work on, it would be THIS! 

Would instantly make the GH7 the #1 choice for crash cam / B Cam / etc, anything that needs very awkward mounting, such as mounting a camera for a shower scene or riding a motorbike or a snorricam. 

Panasonic basically leap flogged all the Netflix Certified Cameras 😎

They NEED to sell these in the Truckloads to Influencers, Film School Students and Low Budget  Filmmakers. Hope their Marketing gets it right this time. Hopefully they don't shoot a video on the Alexa35 and pass it off as the GH7 😉

Great time for M43 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think an even more impactful cam is something like s5 iii with a 6k full Frame and a dci 4k s35 crop prores raw arri log c3. this is like a Alexa 35 at $2500, plus a Alexa lf when in full Frame mode. that 15 stop dr is nice, that highlight rolloff is unique, but a $2500 cam can do 95% of a mini lf and an Alexa 35. this is what a new cam should be, just like 5d3ml in 2015, r1mx in 2009. 

Let's be honest here, though. How many current Panasonic S series shooters are excited about going back to m4/3 and its' lenses/crop?

Show of hands?

At the risk of sounding contradictory, with further thought, I find the GH7 release to be a bit... cynical... for lack of a better word. In less than a year, the S2H will be released with similar and/or better features. Is Panasonic just trying to get one last bit out of m4/3 and the unsold GH6 parts before  they discontinue the entire m4/3 division?

Wasn't there a rumor that they were getting out of the camera business?

With the recent, although utterly stupid and repugnant, GeraldUndone "controversy" (nonsense) doesn't this release seem a bit odd... borderline full-stop weird?

When you add the, out of left field, LogC aspect, is it possible that Panasonic is purchasing Arri like Nikon purchased Red and Panasonic is cleaning shop to release an entirely new division/lineup of cameras?

With all that said, I'd really like to see Panasonic go full on weird and release a S16 c-mount camera with IBIS... go the other way and do something really ballsy!

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Let's be honest here, though. How many current Panasonic S series shooters are excited about going back to m4/3 and its' lenses/crop?

Show of hands?

At the risk of sounding contradictory, with further thought, I find the GH7 release to be a bit... cynical... for lack of a better word. In less than a year, the S2H will be released with similar and/or better features. Is Panasonic just trying to get one last bit out of m4/3 and the unsold GH6 parts before  they discontinue the entire m4/3 division?

Wasn't there a rumor that they were getting out of the camera business?

With the recent, although utterly stupid and repugnant, GeraldUndone "controversy" (nonsense) doesn't this release seem a bit odd... borderline full-stop weird?

When you add the, out of left field, LogC aspect, is it possible that Panasonic is purchasing Arri like Nikon purchased Red and Panasonic is cleaning shop to release an entirely new division/lineup of cameras?

With all that said, I'd really like to see Panasonic go full on weird and release a S16 c-mount camera with IBIS... go the other way and do something really ballsy!

there are some s16 lenses with pl mount, and 2/3 lenses, they can be adapted to m43 mount. gh7 can do dci 4k prores raw hq 60p s16. with a good s16 lens like Zeiss 10-100mm, it is very powerful. right now there is not many good s16 digital cinema cameras. 

3 minutes ago, zlfan said:

there are some s16 lenses with pl mount, and 2/3 lenses, they can be adapted to m43 mount. gh7 can do dci 4k prores raw hq 60p s16. with a good s16 lens like Zeiss 10-100mm, it is very powerful. right now there is not many good s16 digital cinema cameras. 

Is there an equivalent s16 crop mode in the GH7? I haven't looked into that yet. The GH6 didn't have one. Of course, almost any lens can be adapted to m4/3, but I'm talking a 1"ish sensor. I've owned my fair share of m4/3 cameras and shooting with adapted, vintage lenses have always felt wrong and made me dislike the format. The crop was never quite close enough to utilize wider c-mount lenses. Point is... for me... m4/3 always felt slightly handicapped for lenses. Am not a fan of speedboosters and dislike most of the native lenses I've used.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Is there an equivalent s16 crop mode in the GH7? I haven't looked into that yet. The GH6 didn't have one. Of course, almost any lens can be adapted to m4/3, but I'm talking a 1"ish sensor. I've owned my fair share of m4/3 cameras and shooting with adapted, vintage lenses have always felt wrong and made me dislike the format. The crop was never quite close enough to utilize wider c-mount lenses. Point is... for me... m4/3 always felt slightly handicapped for lenses. Am not a fan of speedboosters and dislike most of the native lenses I've used.

according what I read on the dpreview, the dci 4k of gh7 is 1.4 crop of the m43, m43 is 224 mm2, 1.4 crop is 50% of the area of the m43, so the dci 4k crop mode is 110-120 mm2, this is basically 1 inch or s16. I think s16 is 95 mm2, 1 inch is 110 mm2. there are some 1 inch lenses at c mount or Nikon 1 mount. if no need to reach infinity, these lenses can be adapted to gh7 too. 

I'm declaring this a successful launch. Some leaks, but not massive. No one knew about the Arri partnership as far as I know- surprise is always good. No one is crying in their corner because they weren't invited to the "show". I loved the GH6, but I replaced it with a S5ii. The main reason was for photography. Still, I miss all the other cool video features of the GH6 that the S5ii doesn't have, but suspect some will soon come (and better) in a firmware update (like PDAF at 100fps).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-gh7-initial-review

Video

The GH7's headline video feature is support for internal ProRes RAW recording, including both ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ, using the camera's CFexpress card (or a USB-C SSD). ProRes RAW provides extra flexibility in post-processing, including the ability to adjust white balance and exposure offsets.

ProRes RAW can be captured at either 5.7K resolution in a 17:9 aspect ratio using the entire width of the sensor or at the standard DCI 4K resolution (4096 x 2160) up to 60p, which results in a 1.41x crop.

Raw CodecResolutionFrame RateCropDestination

ProRes RAW

or

ProRes RAW HQ

5.7K (5728 x 3024)

Full widthCFexpress card or external SSD*DCI 4K (4096 x 2160)

1.41x

Hopefully, Panasonic has done something to fix their menu system too. The GH6 and S5iiX menus are utter garbage. They were praised for their menus when Sony was getting crap for theirs and now it's a mess. And why do I have to change frequencies to shoot true 24p? I don't have to do that with my FP. When you add the 180 degree shutter benefit in Panasonic cameras... wouldn't it make sense to include a 48p option in that true 24p mode to utilize the benefit of shutter angle? Not including BM, the FP should be the gold standard for camera menus. 

I adapted a cooke 75mm f4 s16 lens to a nikon 1 v1 with a 1 inch sensor. works fine, no vignette at all. maybe wide angle s16 will see vignette on a 1-inch sensor. I doubt about it though, as it is 95 mm2 vs 110 mm2. most branded lenses have image circle a little bit larger than their native formats. some famous lenses like Leica lenses, are actually reaching medium format image circle sizes. so I think s16 lenses on gh7's dci 4k crop mode, even wide angle ones, will be fine. if no need for infinity, c mount is fine. 

3 minutes ago, zlfan said:

I adapted a cooke 75mm f4 s16 lens to a nikon 1 v1 with an 1 inch sensor. works fine, no vignette at all. maybe wide angle s16 will see vignette on a 1-inch sensor. I doubt about it though, as it is 95 mm2 vs 110 mm2. most branded lenses have image circle a little bit larger than their native formats. some famous lenses like Leica lenses, are actually reaching medium format image circle sizes. so I think s16 lenses on gh7's dci 4k crop mode, even wide angle ones, will be fine. if no need for infinity, c mount is fine. 

Back in the day when I was testing c-mounts with m4/3, I was able to get full coverage with some 12.5mm lenses. In some respects, that was good enough, but I'd love to be able to use a 10mm Angenieux or Kern... or even some 6 or 8mm lenses, that's why I'd really love a true S16 sized sensor.

Unfortunately, Panasonic probably isn't in business to make cameras solely for my interests... BASTARDS!!!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Show of hands?

🙌

Not 100% but a pair of GH7’s with the 10-25 and 25-50 twins is just about the perfect set up for me, especially compared with my current set up.

First of all, it’s two matched cameras for ergos, batteries etc.

Second, whilst there are comparable zooms in FF at the wider end, there are not at the longer end.

Third, lighter and more portable set up for me.

I don’t actually need all the bells and whistles and it’s the PDAF that swings it for me and why I skipped the GH6, but dabbled with the OM-1.

The ONLY issue I had with the OM-1 was I was not a fan of the video quality, - it’s very purpose for me 😏

A single FF camera with a fast wider ‘indoor’ zoom plus a fast longer zoom for ‘outdoor’ and I’m done. 👾

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-gh7-initial-review

Video

The GH7's headline video feature is support for internal ProRes RAW recording, including both ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ, using the camera's CFexpress card (or a USB-C SSD). ProRes RAW provides extra flexibility in post-processing, including the ability to adjust white balance and exposure offsets.

ProRes RAW can be captured at either 5.7K resolution in a 17:9 aspect ratio using the entire width of the sensor or at the standard DCI 4K resolution (4096 x 2160) up to 60p, which results in a 1.41x crop.

Raw CodecResolutionFrame RateCropDestination

ProRes RAW

or

ProRes RAW HQ

5.7K (5728 x 3024)

Full widthCFexpress card or external SSD*DCI 4K (4096 x 2160)

1.41x

Why there is so much crop in C4K Prores RAW ?
I never liked the 4K/C4K output over the 5,7K on my GH6 and G9II, the fine details are different.
I wonder if the huge crop in proresraw and the worse quality in 4K H265/ProresHQ are related.

And I love how influencers try to hide cameras shortcomings, like when testing the IBIS only in certain conditions.
Comparing the Open Gate and 4K IBIS performance while walking at 8mm only and saying there is no difference between these recording modes is a real joke.

I don’t like this term ‘influencers’.

There isn’t a single person on the planet that can say or do anything that would ‘influence’ me into buying or not buying anything, I’ll make my own mind up thanks.

Content Creators because unless they are a working filmmaker, videographer or photographer, that is ‘all’ they are doing, - making content and reporting their findings and opinions.

But influencing? Baa, I don’t think so. Not me anyway.

I suppose there is an element for whom if X even touches a certain piece of kit, it’s an immediate buy just because X waxed lyrical about it.

Anyway, rant mode off 😜

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Back in the day when I was testing c-mounts with m4/3, I was able to get full coverage with some 12.5mm lenses. In some respects, that was good enough, but I'd love to be able to use a 10mm Angenieux or Kern... or even some 6 or 8mm lenses, that's why I'd really love a true S16 sized sensor.

Unfortunately, Panasonic probably isn't in business to make cameras solely for my interests... BASTARDS!!!

if you still keeps the s16 kern or Angie lenses, very possibly this gh7 will work, but without infinity focusing. 

1 hour ago, ita149 said:

Why there is so much crop in C4K Prores RAW ?
I never liked the 4K/C4K output over the 5,7K on my GH6 and G9II, the fine details are different.
I wonder if the huge crop in proresraw and the worse quality in 4K H265/ProresHQ are related.

gh7's 4k prores or mp4 suppose to be oversampled from the full frame m43 sensor's 5.7k. gh7's 4k raw is 1x1 pixel by pixel mode. it is not oversampled. it is less detailed than the 5.7k raw. but the c4k raw is prores raw hq, 5.7k raw is prores raw. so the c4k raw has less compression. so it may not be much worse than the 5.7k raw. a little bit worse, maybe.