Panasonic GH7

8 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

I'm reading this in a hurry...

What does it means? In 4K prores raw i will have an extra 1.4 crop after the 2x crop of M43?

It's raw. So of course you can't be using the full sensor with a scale down applied. Nah, raw means a crop of the sensor if you're not recording the full resolution. 

1 minute ago, PPNS said:

its a spec to brag about rather than being truly useful. Ive not used any previous gh series cameras, but they were probably already fairly easy to match to a ‘better’ camera if shot in a 10bit 422 (or higher) mode. 

There is a big difference between "easy" vs a seamless integration into workflow (as professionals would demand). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The arri log is quite a nice surprise!! 

I am excited to see this camera come out and hope we get another, smaller m43 body soon with this sensor.

That said, I actually bought a gh6 last week as it was being sold on clearance at a price I could not resist.

It's even cheaper this week with the official gh7 launch. 

I got an open box gh6 with the 12-60mm 2.8-4 for $925 last week on best buy's website. It's even cheaper now, but they don't appear to have any left in my area. It may be worth checking in your area as a new gh6 with 12-60 will cost you all of $701 dollars, and if they have any open box ones, you can get one for under $550!!!! With the lens!!

Wild times. Won't prevent me from adding a g9 ii or gh7 at some point, but man, cheap thrills. 

27 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It's raw. So of course you can't be using the full sensor with a scale down applied. Nah, raw means a crop of the sensor if you're not recording the full resolution. 

There is a big difference between "easy" vs a seamless integration into workflow (as professionals would demand). 

since i’m working as a DIT again on a feature, this time with an alexa35 as an A cam, and alexa mini as the B.

both are shooting arriraw, we have custom log to log looks made for C4. davinci can debayer c3 raw footage into log C4.

that being said, even with matching iso, WB settings, lens sets, and the mini debayered to C4, i still have to do a considerate amount of work of getting each shot to match from the same scene.

nothing is ever seamless. you can only hope for a bit of saved time.

First: I'd be pissed if I bought a GH6. I get why they released it, people (including myself) were getting impatient, but discontinuing it (thus killing the resale price) is a pretty big blow to a user base that already saw Lumix release better cameras almost immediately after it's release. 

With all that said: I think the GH7 is a pretty darn good release. If I was still in M43 I'd be getting 3 of them. It's honestly the first time I've regretted getting rid of all my M43 lenses, as even now I think two of them would go great with my S5II X. I miss the small lenses quite a bit, especially on show days. The only thing I'm a bit bummed about is the battery life. 

I hope there's a way they can push a firmware update to make the new audio adapter work with the S5II X. 

When I upgrade my b and c cams they'll probably be S5II bodies because I've already got the lenses for them, but I'll be damned if m43 didn't make me think about dipping my toe back in. 

57 minutes ago, PPNS said:

since i’m working as a DIT again on a feature, this time with an alexa35 as an A cam, and alexa mini as the B.

both are shooting arriraw, we have custom log to log looks made for C4. davinci can debayer c3 raw footage into log C4.

that being said, even with matching iso, WB settings, lens sets, and the mini debayered to C4, i still have to do a considerate amount of work of getting each shot to match from the same scene.

Out of curiosity, I was reading this on ARRI website:

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/image-science/log-c

Shooting with a combination of ALEXA 35 and other ALEXA or AMIRA cameras raises the question of how to handle both Log C versions on one project. We have anticipated this situation and offer a path for footage captured with the previous ALEXA sensor (LogC3) to be used within REVEAL Color Science alongside ALEXA 35 footage (LogC4) through our ARRIRAW SDK. Software using our SDK can develop LogC3 footage to LogC4. This can only be achieved with ARRIRAW footage and is not possible with Apple ProRes footage.

I'm newbie about RAW. Does it mean that LogC3 from GH7 not being ARRIRAW cannot take advantage of the mentioned workflow?

25 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Out of curiosity, I was reading this on ARRI website:

https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/image-science/log-c

I'm newbie about RAW. Does it mean that LogC3 from GH7 not being ARRIRAW cannot take advantage of the mentioned workflow?

yes. And i’m saying that even if you could take advantage of it, you would still have to put in the extra work to get it to match.

2 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

I got an open box gh6 with the 12-60mm 2.8-4 for $925 last week on best buy's website. It's even cheaper now, but they don't appear to have any left in my area. It may be worth checking in your area as a new gh6 with 12-60 will cost you all of $701 dollars, and if they have any open box ones, you can get one for under $550!!!! With the lens!!

Whoa.  None left in my area either, open box or otherwise, but $550 might have been low enough for me to consider shooting M43 again.

2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

I'm reading this in a hurry...

What does it means? In 4K prores raw i will have an extra 1.4 crop after the 2x crop of M43?

yeh. if your starting point is 135 full frame which has an area of 862 mm2, m43 is 25% of a full frame, at 224 mm2, now in gh7's 4k raw mode, the sensor is another 1.4 crop, 50% of the m43, so the final area in this mode is about 110 mm2, which is almost a s16 sensor, almost exactly an 1-inch sensor. 

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

C400 is full frame 6k, so S16 should be a bit more than 2K. @IronFilm

I'm interested to see the footage people will produce with the GH7. I liked Gh6 colours but wasn't so keen on the textures.

wow. c400 is full frame? this is great. $8000 is ok. who will buy a c300 mk3 then?

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

who will buy a c300 mk3 then?

Probably almost nobody.  The C70 still has a market, though.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Can someone explain why Panasonic won't get sued by putting the option of recording Prores RAW internally?

Maybe the same way that DJI has supported it on the Ronin 4D for a while now?  It's not out of the question that one or both companies negotiated a contract with Red/Nikon to allow it - that or maybe lawyers for both companies decided that PRR doesn't infringe the DJI patent enough that a lawsuit would be likely successful.  I think DJI's is a paid upgrade which would imply that they pay a license fee.  Maybe Panasonic just built that into the price.

15 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

The arri log is quite a nice surprise!! 

I am excited to see this camera come out and hope we get another, smaller m43 body soon with this sensor.

The Panasonic G100 might be due to get a G100mk2 update???

15 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

That said, I actually bought a gh6 last week as it was being sold on clearance at a price I could not resist.

It's even cheaper this week with the official gh7 launch. 

That's bonkers insanely cheap for with the lens! 

Drat, it's even tempting me to get a GH6. Thank goodness I don't live anywhere near any American Best Buys otherwise I might fall victim to temptation and give in!

15 hours ago, PPNS said:

True, I guess I'm meaning "relatively speaking"

As hard as matching an ARRI 35 + ALEXA Mini is, I'm sure if they randomly threw in a GH5 or a7S or whatever, you'd have an even tougher job to match it on set. 

14 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

First: I'd be pissed if I bought a GH6. 

@homestar_kevin does not sound pissed at all! Rather very happy with their new GH6

12 hours ago, zlfan said:

wow. c400 is full frame? this is great. $8000 is ok. who will buy a c300 mk3 then?

Almost nobody? An even better question is... who will buy a C500mk2 now??? 

I feel the C400 has mostly replaced the C300mk3 and C500mk2 for almost all new buyers. (although many existing C300mk3 / C500mk2 users might feel the C400 doesn't offer enough to be "upgrading" themselves to a C400)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

@homestar_kevin does not sound pissed at all! Rather very happy with their new GH6

He paid like 1/4 retail cost haha. If I'd bought one a year ago at full retail cost I'd be pretty upset that my camera was discontinued and now has almost no value on the used market to help pay for a GH7 because they're now available for new for $550 with kit lens. 

That's about what I got paid for my used GH5 about a year ago. 

42 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

He paid like 1/4 retail cost haha. If I'd bought one a year ago at full retail cost I'd be pretty upset

Nah, that person has had the camera and got a full years of use out of it!

that my camera was discontinued and now has almost no value on the used market to help pay for a GH7 because they're now available for new for $550 with kit lens. 

Eh, the GH6 won't be available for $550 "new" (open box) for very long. And is severely geographically restricted, even while it was still available. 

The secondhand prices on eBay I predict will not this year be consistently on average below that! They'll stay above it. 

That's about what I got paid for my used GH5 about a year ago. 

If a GH6 drops down to that price after a couple more years, then that seems reasonable to me. 

A three year cycle from a GH5 to a GH6 then matching the price. That's roughly what a life cycle is for a camera. 

In a couple of years from now, your GH5 will probably be selling for what GH4 cameras were selling for back when you purchased your GH5.