Panasonic GH7

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Beautiful : ) But it doesn't seem to me the widest DR range to evaluate the close-up shot or just my display?

Dynamic range and colours seem to have been messed up due to choices of the artist in post pro and lighting. This is the worst launching video I can remember, even moreso from a filmmaking perspective. What a dull affair!

This is a great launching video. It's for the GH6!

Panasonic product releases perplex me.

March 2019 - S1/R flopped because they released the much smaller, cheaper, and functionally the same…

September 2020 - S5 the Sony’fied version of Panasonics FF. Still no PDAF. Sales probably OK.

February 2022 - GH6: quirky, no PDAF. Didn’t sell well because…

January 2023 - S5II with PDAF and FF. mFT iS DeAd!

June 2023 - GH7 with PDAF, improved sensor over GH6 (less quirks cleaner image), internal everything kitchen sink!

The S1H should be slotted in there in 2019 but I left it out because it really was a niche product. It did however have a huge impact on future camera designs: mainly the GH6 and S5IIX.

I suspect we will see a S2H soon to continue the cycle of shooting your own cameras in the foot. 

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Panasonic product releases perplex me

I kind of get it, yet hate it at the same time.

It’s this mix of proactive and reactive in what is supposed to be a declining market so economic restraints.

But as a small business user, I want to plan much longer in advance.

Camera and lens announcements, until they actually happen, tend to be mostly speculative and based on rumor.

I get it from their point of view, re. competitors etc, but I would rather see timelines for stuff so I can at least do some strategic planning.

Take this year for instance. At the end of 2023 I already knew I had too much kit as in the combo I needed to do what I needed it too do, was too big and heavy with too much juggling.

Could I make any different choices within L Mount over the Winter of 2023 into 2024?

No, so had to come up with a better plan before my season started in 2024.

Do I have the right kit this year? Kind of…

Better than last year, but still too much juggling to the tune of 1 too many cameras, so I both want and need to go from 4 to 3.

Can I do it with L Mount?

No, not as well as with someone else.

Would I prefer it to be with L Mount?

Yes, but with zero indication of a replacement for the S1R or H other than pure speculation, I cannot make the business decision I would prefer to make.

And if X is not available yet, then fair enough, but I’d just like a little official idea of when so I can either:

A: hold off and wait for X, or,

B: make an alternative course of action.

It’s not just old Panny Boy, (though the GH6 was the longest ever camera to appear) but all of them.

They all probably have very good business reasons, but I don’t have to like that. And don’t.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Panasonic product releases perplex me.

March 2019 - S1/R flopped because they released the much smaller, cheaper, and functionally the same…

September 2020 - S5 the Sony’fied version of Panasonics FF. Still no PDAF. Sales probably OK.

February 2022 - GH6: quirky, no PDAF. Didn’t sell well because…

January 2023 - S5II with PDAF and FF. mFT iS DeAd!

June 2023 - GH7 with PDAF, improved sensor over GH6 (less quirks cleaner image), internal everything kitchen sink!

The S1H should be slotted in there in 2019 but I left it out because it really was a niche product. It did however have a huge impact on future camera designs: mainly the GH6 and S5IIX.

I suspect we will see a S2H soon to continue the cycle of shooting your own cameras in the foot. 

You forgot the S9!

The other thing to consider is that Panasonic makes a product strategy decision and then 5 years later that decision resulted in a camera that doesn't align with what consumers and competitors did in the 5 years in-between, but consumers are like "last week we all decided that X was most important and now Panasonic releases this without it?  are they even listening?!?!"

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nah, that person has had the camera and got a full years of use out of it!

I appreciate your optimistic take, but that's not how most people look at it, nor should it be. A camera you purchased for $2000 a year or two ago should not be dead already, and it's value on the used market should not be 1/4 of the price just because the manufacturer decided to discontinue it and run a fire sale.

I'd have a very bad taste in my mouth if I'd bought the GH6.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If a GH6 drops down to that price after a couple more years, then that seems reasonable to me. 

A three year cycle from a GH5 to a GH6 then matching the price. That's roughly what a life cycle is for a camera.

My GH5 was nearly 6 years old when I sold it. 2017 to 2023. No amount of spin is going to make a GH6 user happy that the camera they spent $2000 on is selling for $550 brand new with lens.

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will" ~ Steve Jobs 

I completely disagree with your assessment that all those products were "flops" because later on Panasonic releases an even "better" product. (such as the much cheaper S5 coming after the S1, or GH6 because the S5mk2 came out afterwards)

If in February next year Panasonic releases a small sized Panasonic G100mk2 that offers 80% of what a GH7 does but at half the price, does that make the GH7 a flop and Panasonic a failure who are shooting themselves in their foot? 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I appreciate your optimistic take, but that's not how most people look at it, nor should it be. A camera you purchased for $2000 a year or two ago should not be dead already, and it's value on the used market should not be 1/4 of the price just because the manufacturer decided to discontinue it and run a fire sale.

I'd have a very bad taste in my mouth if I'd bought the GH6.

Anybody that paid full RRP for a GH6 a year ago and is complaining about their prices now doesn't have a leg to stand on. As the GH6 was often enough on discount (for instance over a year ago you could get a brand new GH6 for as little as US$1.4K on Amazon).

Let's go check what the ebay prices are for a GH6 currently:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=panasonic+gh6&_sacat=0&_sop=15 

About US$1.2K-ish to US$1.4K+ ish 

Nah, the value of your GH6 hasn't suddenly crashed. 

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

where can you find gh6 at $600? I cannot find any?

@newfoundmass is trying to spin it that this is a normal sale price for a GH6. It is not. 

It's an open box GH6 (i.e. a technically secondhand camera, but is "like new") and only an exceptionally small number of them, and only for those who can go to their local store (if they even have one! And it's in stock, which it won't be) and buy it in person. 

Or in other words:

This will have zero impact upon eBay prices. (nothing that could be measurable anyway)

96KHz 32bit audio recorded into the video files themselves: 

Didn't realize it was offering 96KHz, that's nice! (although it's also total complete overkill. But hey, a nice change to see a camera doing audio in an overkill manner for once!) 

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

the manufacturer decided to discontinue it and run a fire sale

As far as I know, a single store put it on clearance for closer to 1/3 price (1/4 price for open box).  For a store like Best Buy, this isn't at all atypical.  If a product is barely selling and discontinued by the manufacturer, sometimes they'll just blow it out at ridiculous prices and write off the loss.  My guess is that they hit the limit of how many Panasonic would refund them.

Yeah for such big box stores it's less of a hassle to sell a product at a couple of hundred dollars loss than to keep just a unit or two of stock lurking around on the shelves for many more months cluttering up space in a store that could be used to sell higher margin / faster selling products. It's better for them to just fully eliminate that item from stocking it in the store. 

14 hours ago, zlfan said:

I would have apprecied a comparison between Open Gate and 4K with everything higher than a 8mm lens (like he did in his previous video), because saying the stabilization is the same while testing the IBIS only at this focal lenght is not serious.
In my tests, both the GH6 and G9II have worse stabilization in Open Gate with lenses > at 15mm, more jumps.
I understand he likes Panasonic a lot but owning all the recent Panasonic cameras, I can say it's a very oriented comparison to makes people believe the camera has no flaws.

In the same way, all these youtubers almost never compare the video IQ (details rendering) between 4K/6K/Open Gate or between the recent and the "old" gen Panasonic cameras, and yet there is a lot to be said. Each time we need to compare the cameras ourselves or wait the impression of people who bought the camera themselve.