Best practice to setting the white balance?

lsquare

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

You don't seem as much of a newbie when looking at your post from ten years ago. @lsquare What is going on here? Where have you been all these ten years? Time travelling backwards? You were shooting with an FZ1000. Or you will be shooting with an FZ1000.😂

You're acting like a stalking weirdo. Get a life, man. You're asking irreverent questions and just trolling around. Get a girlfriend and you'll be happier. Don't hide behind a computer screen. 

52 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Seriously, it's getting out of hand with ambivalent "newbies" posting many akward threads in a row. Wondering, how does cinematography.com handle it?

Since you're into conspiracy theories and making things up all of a sudden, I'm wondering if you're a pedophile given your erratic behavior. 

26 minutes ago, lsquare said:

Since you're into conspiracy theories and making things up all of a sudden, I'm wondering if you're a pedophile given your erratic behavior. 

There are theories about you already? Impressive. You are either a newbie to videography or not, since you can't be both. Oh, there are no theories about you. You are wondering? Maybe you should timetravel to your FZ1000 post and wonder how you did that! What a (insert cuss word of your choice, but please a strong one) you are! @Andrew ReidI am at the risk of getting myself banned! Please help. I am starting to feel tempted to use strong language here. I just don't believe in time travelling!

50 minutes ago, lsquare said:

You're acting like a stalking weirdo. Get a life, man. You're asking irreverent questions and just trolling around. Get a girlfriend and you'll be happier. Don't hide behind a computer screen. 

You cannot say I was hiding. Your incoherence made me show my "trolling". My girlfiend is so hot that your mama looks like your mama- that was supposed to be a "your mama joke", but it's not funny. You on the other side are  ....  well, neither a funny person. Or guy or girl or senior citizen or  ....

Alien!!!!!!! Help!

8 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

hat's also assuming that the color temperature settings in the camera are a match for your color meter - and that's definitely not guaranteed.

True, but if you're shooting raw it doesn't matter so much because you'll be adjusting in post anyway. That's why sometimes I just write down (or make a voice memo) with my color temperature meter's reading; with voice memos if ensure your camera's clock time is roughly the same as your phone's you can match them up later if you're taking multiple readings at different times. My cinema camera's WB settings are in roughly 200-Kelvin increments but my meter is of course more precise. So if I take a meter reading I can apply that in post and not even bother changing it in the camera.

I tried using a color temperature meter on my phone (I bought a dome to go over the phone's camera) but it has to be calibrated to a professional meter so I ended up having to get a professional meter anyway (since I don't know anyone else who has a color temperature meter). The cheapest good color temperature meter I've used is the incident meter by Reveni Design, about $250, which does measure color. It's within 200 kelvin of my Sekonic but not as precise, but that's probably close enough as you can adjust to taste in post.

56 minutes ago, bjohn said:

True, but if you're shooting raw it doesn't matter so much because you'll be adjusting in post anyway. That's why sometimes I just write down (or make a voice memo) with my color temperature meter's reading; with voice memos if ensure your camera's clock time is roughly the same as your phone's you can match them up later if you're taking multiple readings at different times. My cinema camera's WB settings are in roughly 200-Kelvin increments but my meter is of course more precise. So if I take a meter reading I can apply that in post and not even bother changing it in the camera.

I tried using a color temperature meter on my phone (I bought a dome to go over the phone's camera) but it has to be calibrated to a professional meter so I ended up having to get a professional meter anyway (since I don't know anyone else who has a color temperature meter). The cheapest good color temperature meter I've used is the incident meter by Reveni Design, about $250, which does measure color. It's within 200 kelvin of my Sekonic but not as precise, but that's probably close enough as you can adjust to taste in post.

Which Seksonic do you have?

On 6/18/2024 at 10:27 AM, lsquare said:

In Adobe Lightroom, I just go to the develop module and utilize the RAW photo with the white balance card to correct the white balance in the photo that I want. Can I do the same thing in a NLE?

You can. But you need to do it in linear color space for accurate results. Shoot a clip in a log format, download Da Vinci Resolve, and try it out!