a full frame camera with the best ibis?

zlfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimrXLkIWmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFs_pPJeHAs

GH7 with some wide aperture lenses seems blurring the background optimally. You can still see the background information, but not clear enough to compete with the talent in focus. This is actually what I want to get when I do events. Total bokur of the background, you don't know if the talent is in a studio or in an event venue. So I think once the bokur fever is gone after the introduction of the 5d2, m43 is ok in this category.

for the low light, ff is certainly better than m43. but there was a rule set by a famous photo journalist. he said: if it is too dark, i will not shoot. he took at most two to three lenses with him, 35mm, 50mm. and he used his legs for zooming. i forgot his name. i think as long as you set the boundaries, m43 is a very nice format. 

i shoot mostly during the day light on streets, ibis, certainly level of bokur, af or mf, these are a good package for me.

i know some dps intentionally shoot at very low available light, which sometimes presents very different stories not seen in day light time period. i guess if that is the area to establish, maybe special cameras and lenses are needed, probably medium format cameras like gfx100, working in pixel binning mode to 20 mp or 25 mp, so that huge pixels can have good low light performance, and some really big medium format f2 lenses. even going further, ir camera modes and lenses can be used. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't think so at all. iPhones (and phones in general) are obviously very popular, but M43, 1-inch compact cameras, and action cameras have all been on the decline for a long time. Really the whole industry has been, but GoPro for example lost $75 million last year. Their stock has plummeted something like 97%. The action camera market is not doing good, even though DJI and Insta360 have been pretty aggressive in releasing new cameras. They just don't have the burdens GoPro has, since they are Chinese companies and action cameras aren't their only products.

Sony put out vlogging cameras in the ZV and RX100 series of cameras, but they didn't really set the world on fire. It sounds like Panasonic is going to release something similar but I have my doubts that it'll be successful. Vlogging just doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as it used to be, with a lot of people transitioning to different content and even before they did that a lot were using APS-C and full frame cameras for YouTube, and many others have transitioned to using phones for the short form content they post to TikTok, Facebook, and IG.

M43 will exist as long as OMD and Panasonic want it to, but the GH7 could realistically be either the last stand or it could breath new light into the system. Too early to tell, but it got a lot of praise but whether or not that translates to people actually buying it, who knows? I kind of regret getting completely out of the system, but I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't have ended up having to in a couple years anyway.

I think olympus will stay in m43, as olympus is always for small camera bodies and lenses, ever since the film camera days. not sure about panasonic. gh7 is already very mature. gh8 needs in camera nd and 6k 60p prores raw hq to justify upgrading. i will not upgrade to gh8 unless it has nd. i think gh7 will last me at least 10 years, even further. i like to buy gear last very long term, because i don't like the hassle to sell my gears on ebay. 

On 7/9/2024 at 2:09 AM, newfoundmass said:

M43 will exist as long as OMD and Panasonic want it to, but the GH7 could realistically be either the last stand or it could breath new light into the system. Too early to tell, but it got a lot of praise but whether or not that translates to people actually buying it, who knows? I kind of regret getting completely out of the system, but I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't have ended up having to in a couple years anyway.

I like and use their cameras, but I think unless OMDS gets its R&D really motoring I suspect it won't be around long-term in it's current form - re-cycling older camera tech and doing mostly cosmetic makeovers of existing lenses isn't really a sustainable strategy if you're competing with giant corporations like Sony and Canon. It's been 3 1/2 years since JIP took 95% ownership of OMDS and we've had one new camera with 'new tech' inside it - the OM-1  (which was mostly developed before the takeover), a 'mark 2' warm-over of that, and one re-packaging of the E-M1 iii tech into a smaller body - the OM-5. This seems slow progress for a company with 1850 employees and a 'Share Capital and Capital Surplus' of 41.7 billion yen (USD 258 million) in March 2023.

As for Panasonic M43 - it might surprise us, but I'm not hoping for much more than maybe a GX9 equivalent based on the S9 body with an EVF added. The G9ii/GH7 sensor would be great, but it might push the price too high - on the other hand that would be re-using the sensor and tech from those cameras so maybe not...

I would easily take MFT and this GH7 for sure straight to IBIS as replacement of the gimbal when a light setup is crucial.

Other than that, I think there is some misinformation. And bias. As far as the circles of confusion really matter to give a specific look. And people actually tend to ignore it...

19 hours ago, zlfan said:

I think olympus will stay in m43, as olympus is always for small camera bodies and lenses, ever since the film camera days. not sure about panasonic. gh7 is already very mature. gh8 needs in camera nd and 6k 60p prores raw hq to justify upgrading. i will not upgrade to gh8 unless it has nd. i think gh7 will last me at least 10 years, even further. i like to buy gear last very long term, because i don't like the hassle to sell my gears on ebay. 

I don't know that their current business model is sustainable with a constantly shrinking market and being a niche system. So the question is really "how long can OMD stay in business?" It'll really boil down to how long OMD wants to stick around before deciding enough is enough.

Panasonic has seemingly slowed down their decline and possibly even reversed it a little, so their long term future is less in doubt I think. But M43's future is still up in the air and really depends on whether Panasonic decides to keep going with it if it's just not a profitable part of their business. Even if it does stick around I don't know that we'll ever really see the true promise of M43s, which was small cameras and small lenses with powerful features. The lenses are smaller, but the bodies aren't that much smaller than their full frame counterparts. Still I'll always have a soft spot for the M43 system and wish I'd kept a couple lenses.

summarizing the tests by Gerald Undone for GH7 and CineD for GH6, GH7 has a usable dr of 12 stops at s/n=2 with dr boost on meaning 4k 60p at most, a latitude of 6 stops at least, 3 upper the mid gray, 3 lower. using Alexa 35 as the reference standard, Alexa 35 has a usable dr of 15 stops at s/n, a latitude of 12 stops. 

according to my experience on mlraw and r3d, I typically do ettr to 3 stops plus at most, then pull down in post to reduce the noise. I never did more than 3 stops as typically there is not enough available light for this, and ettr works fine enough for 2-3 stops to reduce the noise. 

although Alexa 35's latitude is amazing, gh7's latitude is good enough for most common scenarios. 

gh7's 12 stops usable dr is basically at the Sony Venice level. there were so many block busters made by Venice and there was no complain about its dr. good enough for Hollywood features, good enough for me.

with its ibis and af, gh7 is a compelling package to me. 

Right.

The use of a smaller sensor size factor is not only the question of DOF, with more or less deep versus shallow look, but the intrinsic quality of bokeh which varies in a variety of specific layers towards much detached aesthetics.

For example, still photography, motion picture, soap opera, teledrama, docs, events, etc., are only a general way to address a few categories on this discussion.

Many subcategories can be found on each.

Which means no matter how many tricks bokeh is not exactly possible to replicate under equivalent variables, there is an intrinsic look on much contrasting subtleties, apparently indistinguishable, but only to the casual eye.

- EAG

It's all about an inherent format look.

Serves a lot but not all. Horses for courses ; )

Being IBIS as said above, the most interesting one, not much else to say, frankly : )

Versatile, yes, in fact, but doesn't cover everything.

Fortunately AF is now not a miss as far as these tests are able to let us know :- )

i think s9 is very promising as a street cam or an action cam, like a ff equivalent of go pro 12. there may be more details to solve for s9 to be a true action cam, but very promising. a ff action cam heals the Achilles heel of the current crop of action cams, the low light. 

panasonic needs to design a small pancake lens specifically for s9. something like 50mm f2.8 for f4. the ibis or eis needs to be tuned for this lens to avoid digital artefacts. maybe some gyro info can be added for this rig too. 

a s9 action cam will sell like a hot cake. 

13 hours ago, zlfan said:

i think s9 is very promising as a street cam or an action cam, like a ff equivalent of go pro 12. there may be more details to solve for s9 to be a true action cam, but very promising. a ff action cam heals the Achilles heel of the current crop of action cams, the low light. 

panasonic needs to design a small pancake lens specifically for s9. something like 50mm f2.8 for f4. the ibis or eis needs to be tuned for this lens to avoid digital artefacts. maybe some gyro info can be added for this rig too. 

a s9 action cam will sell like a hot cake. 

The Sony ZV-E1 is smaller and slightly lighter, has the same full-frame, video-orientated, fast readout 12MP sensor as the A7S iii & FX3, I assume records gyro data for post-stabilisation and has a much wider range of lenses available. It's more expensive than the S9 at the moment, but E-mount versus L-mount lens costs might reduce that difference.

image.png.5d2fc2420a91b6c1ed4cf794e71f3b2b.png

15 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The Sony ZV-E1 is smaller and slightly lighter

Plus actually has a grip!

I am sure that I will be more than happy with my S9 in it’s intended role when it arrives, but if choosing a system from scratch, I’d probably go Sony and have the ZV-E1 as my lightweight & portable run & gun to unit.

I am not the biggest Sony fan in the world, though have used them for video previously and shoot stills now with an A7, but out of all the full frame brands, they easily have the most compact options, bodies and glass, so if that is of importance or a priority…

On 7/17/2024 at 1:42 AM, ac6000cw said:

. It's more expensive than the S9 at the moment, but E-mount versus L-mount lens costs might reduce that difference.

image.png.5d2fc2420a91b6c1ed4cf794e71f3b2b.png

With Sigma and now Samyung on-board the lens cost should be pretty similar for both E and L Mount.

I had my share of Sony for a year, start with E1, then got FX3 and FX30 later, now it's only FX30 left and thinking going to Pana or stick to full Canon next year

Screenshot_20240720-223403_Gallery.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, zlfan said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GokSOqok1k

at 10:10, seems zve1 is pretty close to gh7, maybe equal to s5ii/x.

In the comment section, this video's author agrees that Lumix is far better than Sony. Maybe the wrong setup on gh7 causing more jittering. 

@KenCoCreates

2 weeks ago

Boost I.S. Is meant for tripod static shots when handholding. Be careful when walking around and panning on it because it will cause jitters and I think it hurts the sensor a bit. Other than that E-stabilization on high is so good. I use the LUMIX G9ii Microfourthirds all the way for me.

Show less7

·

1 reply

@JasonMorrisphotocinema

2 weeks ago

That makes sense. Realistically the lumix was far superior to the Sony in stabilisation anyway