a full frame camera with the best ibis?

zlfan

I think for the next 10 years, my cameras for manual focus lenses will be om-1 and om-5/mkii. I will use om-1 with a battery grip to balance 43 shg and hg zooms, 135 ff and medium format big mf prime and zoom lenses. I will use om-5/ii with m43 primes or Leica m l39 primes, 135 ff small primes. not as good as ff as there is a cropping factor of 2, but is more robust and proven in terms of ibis. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, zlfan said:

I think for the next 10 years, my cameras for manual focus lenses will be om-1 and om-5/mkii. I will use om-1 with a battery grip to balance 43 shg and hg zooms, 135 ff and medium format big mf prime and zoom lenses. I will use om-5/ii with m43 primes or Leica m l39 primes, 135 ff small primes. not as good as ff as there is a cropping factor of 2, but is more robust and proven in terms of ibis. 

For an example of walking with the OM-1 using just sensor-shift IBIS, see my post here - https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/87236-how-do-om1-mkii-or-even-om1-dci-4k-video-quality-comparing-to-gh7-or-even-gh6/?do=findComment&comment=713229

4 hours ago, zlfan said:

Leica m l39 primes

I have quite a few of these lenses (Leica M mount and LTM/L39 mount) and the main challenge I've found with the LTM lenses is finding ND filters: many of these older lenses use very hard-to-find filter sizes. I found that if I get a Series VI adapter I can then use the many filters available for Series VI, so I've standardized on that for my wider-angle lenses. Is there a good L390 to MFT adapter? I haven't even considered trying those lenses for video (I use them all the time for photography). One nice thing about rangefinder lenses is that many of them come with focus tabs, which are actually really useful for video. Some of them, however, also come with infinity locks, which is a pain.

2 hours ago, bjohn said:

Is there a good L390 to MFT adapter?

Unless you have a camera body that uses LTM, I would suggest using a little bit of loctite and permanently mounting the LTM lenses in M mount adapters.  That's what I've done.  On some of mine, the focus is a little bit stiff which meant that the lens would start to unscrew slightly and wobble when I turned the focus (maybe yours are a little better).

Either way, there are lots of LTM to MFT adapters.  Just find one that promises to let you focus slightly past infinity and you'll be fine.  There's no need to buy anything even a little bit expensive.

5 hours ago, bjohn said:

I have quite a few of these lenses (Leica M mount and LTM/L39 mount) and the main challenge I've found with the LTM lenses is finding ND filters: many of these older lenses use very hard-to-find filter sizes. I found that if I get a Series VI adapter I can then use the many filters available for Series VI, so I've standardized on that for my wider-angle lenses. Is there a good L390 to MFT adapter? I haven't even considered trying those lenses for video (I use them all the time for photography). One nice thing about rangefinder lenses is that many of them come with focus tabs, which are actually really useful for video. Some of them, however, also come with infinity locks, which is a pain.

those l39 lenses are small and affordable. currently I couple a Leica l39 50mm f3.5 retractable with eon m crop mood ml. very nice iq. not much larger than go pro 12. I normally don't use nd filters, I just change shutter speed, aperture, and iso. no big deal. if really want to go strict, then get a small rig mini Matt box. I want to keep everything small. I just use a generic l39 to m43 dumb adapter bought from eBay. no issue. seem focus to the infinity. I check focus using 10x on eon m, very convenient. 

sorry it is l39 to eos m adapter. l39 to m43 adapter should be available too. I use a voiglander 25mm f4 m mount more than 10 years on em5. the adapter has no issue. the lens is very sharp. 

3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Unless you have a camera body that uses LTM, I would suggest using a little bit of loctite and permanently mounting the LTM lenses in M mount adapters.

Could do that, but I use the cheap, effective ring adapters from LTM to M. I like using M and LTM lenses with a close-focus helicoid, which allows me to create bokeh effects and get a lot closer than I could otherwise; they push the lenses beyond what they were designed to do, with often beautiful results.

44 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Could do that, but I use the cheap, effective ring adapters from LTM to M. I like using M and LTM lenses with a close-focus helicoid, which allows me to create bokeh effects and get a lot closer than I could otherwise; they push the lenses beyond what they were designed to do, with often beautiful results.

there is latex adapter to permanently change the mount. I have my Leica r 19mm f2.8 and r100 f2.8 changed to ef mount. very robust. I bought each $80-$100 10 years ago. not sure now. 

48 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Yeah, that's what I do - I'm just saying that I glued the LTM lenses into the LTM to M "ring adapter," making it effectively permanent (so the lenses won't loosen).  Then I have M mount adapters with and without the helicoid.

10 years ago I used ltm Leica 50mm f2 on em-5 for video. In the bright sun, there is dreamy look, not sharp, milky like, maybe due to the single coating. if paired with a latest sharp camera, it will look nice. modern lenses cannot have this kind of vintage look. just like super baltar s35 lenses. very artistic. not everyone's cup of tea though. 

9 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

thanks for the footage. walking seems having some jittering. seems related to the lens. maybe it is wide angle? I think davinci resolve digital stabilization may smoothen it out. the standstill stabilization is perfect. regards, 

I used to shoot a lot using helicoid with enlarging lenses. great iq. flares a lot due to no coating. if put on a lens hood or Matt box, they have some of the best iq I have seen. nowadays people think flare is artistic, then they are probably the most artistic lenses as they are naked. lol. 

33 minutes ago, zlfan said:

another lens with beautiful flare is the affordable soviet helios 44-2 50mm f2 or 58mm f2, forgot the exact name. very strong flare, but very beautiful, artistic. 

For LTM, the Canon 50/1.4 LTM (aka "the Japanese Summilux") has gorgeous ring flares and ghosts.

A certain flare

4 hours ago, zlfan said:

thanks for the footage. walking seems having some jittering. seems related to the lens. maybe it is wide angle? I think davinci resolve digital stabilization may smoothen it out. the standstill stabilization is perfect. regards, 

Lens was Oly 12-200mm, used at the wide end (maybe between 12 and 15mm). No lens OIS. With IBIS at +1 level you get some jitter with fast camera movement, so level 0 would be better for that. Enabling EIS in the camera should handle walking much better. If I was going to use the 'walking' parts of that video I'd probably also add stabilisation in post.

(I don't normally do 'walking with the camera' stuff, but I happened to have that recording).

34 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Lens was Oly 12-200mm, used at the wide end (maybe between 12 and 15mm). No lens OIS. With IBIS at +1 level you get some jitter with fast camera movement, so level 0 would be better for that. Enabling EIS in the camera should handle walking much better. If I was going to use the 'walking' parts of that video I'd probably also add stabilisation in post.

(I don't normally do 'walking with the camera' stuff, but I happened to have that recording).

it is good to know that eis works with walking on om-1. this helps me to make the decision to buy one. I am happy already with stable standstill shots, some panning and tilting. walking is a plus, not essential. thanks for the detailed reply. regards, 

8 hours ago, zlfan said:

10 years ago I used ltm Leica 50mm f2 on em-5 for video. In the bright sun, there is dreamy look, not sharp, milky like, maybe due to the single coating. if paired with a latest sharp camera, it will look nice. modern lenses cannot have this kind of vintage look. just like super baltar s35 lenses. very artistic. not everyone's cup of tea though. 

One of my all-time favorite lenses is a single coated collapsible Summicron 50/2.  The only bummer is that short of rehousing it (which I won't do), it's impossible to use it with a follow focus.  I also have a collapsible 90/4 which I've wanted to try for a shoot, but never get around to bringing with me.

g9ii has the best ibis in Panasonic Lumix line m43 (now surely gh7), g9ii is little worse than s5ii at 24mm ff, but much better than s5ii at 120mm ff. Olympus om-1 surely is better than g9ii. seems to me that full frame ibis is not mature yet, unless you want to only use wide angle lenses. at 24mm or wider, s5ii seems very good.