a full frame camera with the best ibis?

zlfan

3 hours ago, zlfan said:

g9ii has the best ibis in Panasonic Lumix line m43 (now surely gh7), g9ii is little worse than s5ii at 24mm ff, but much better than s5ii at 120mm ff. Olympus om-1 surely is better than g9ii. seems to me that full frame ibis is not mature yet, unless you want to only use wide angle lenses. at 24mm or wider, s5ii seems very good. 

Was the Panny using IBIS and OIS in its Dual IS mode?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, zlfan said:

he tested both, dual is, single ibis, and other modes. 

Just looked through the video, he didn't compare Oly IBIS to Penny Dual IS, so you can't judge from the video how good each one is.

The reason this is relevant is that Olympus puts IBIS in their cameras but doesn't put OIS in their lenses, so a native Oly system only has IBIS but a native Panny system has Dual IS.

1 minute ago, kye said:

Just looked through the video, he didn't compare Oly IBIS to Penny Dual IS, so you can't judge from the video how good each one is.

The reason this is relevant is that Olympus puts IBIS in their cameras but doesn't put OIS in their lenses, so a native Oly system only has IBIS but a native Panny system has Dual IS.

you are right, he did not compare om-1 to g9ii extensively. I suspect that he did the test privately, but he did not want to publish the results to hurt penny sells. om-1 can couple with some lenses with ois, like 12-100mm f4, 300mm f4. 

36 minutes ago, zlfan said:

you are right, he did not compare om-1 to g9ii extensively. I suspect that he did the test privately, but he did not want to publish the results to hurt penny sells. om-1 can couple with some lenses with ois, like 12-100mm f4, 300mm f4. 

I just watched the OM-1 vs G9ii IBIS only comparison and although the OM-1 looks better stabilised than the G9ii the majority of the time, there are places where it's the other way around, so goodness knows what the different settings were.

However, I've experienced the difference between IBIS only and Dual IS on both my GH5 and GX85, and the different is night and day - potentially enough to make the G9ii the clear winner.  If you're doubtful, think about the difference between having no stabilisation at all and adding OIS - that's the kind of difference it is.

The G9ii might also have the extra mode the GH5 has where it removes all motion, which is enormously more stabilising than the normal IBIS mode, so that would be my preference in this situation.

In terms of him doing the test and not telling us because he doesn't want to embarrass anyone, well, you might be interested to know there's lots of things about aliens that the government hasn't been telling us either...

3 hours ago, zlfan said:

He also said the IBIS in Open Gate and 4k have the same performance, but on his GH7/G9II video he only tested a 8mm lens but even my A7IV has a not so bad IBIS at 16mm.
Owning the GH6 and G9II, the difference in IBIS performance is obvious while walking with most lenses.

• Super Members

Shooting with the S5ii a few days ago with the 20-60mm I was noticing some weirdness from the IBIS in terms of distortion and wondering whether its interacting (badly) with the lens correction for barrel distortion.

These are two consecutive frames and there is a tiny horizontal change which the IBIS is correcting but its causing quite a distortion on the edges.

IBIS-AA.thumb.jpg.6c011a825b0fd73205d0b58e2f13a35e.jpg

IBIS-A1.thumb.jpg.e8008ca4043f98fea5d5203245a52802.jpg

Its subtle but its very noticeable on the building on the right.

However, when you do a difference action between the two frames you can really see how it is spreading the distortion from the centre (where its barely anything) outwards.  

IBIS-DIFF.thumb.jpg.6ebf0e17bb22e7975d7355f0e20cc283.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SadhXkn9VE0

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/44977-enjoying-the-panasonic-s1-again/page/5/

This one was done by a member several years ago using his S1. He tested mf 90mm, 85mm, 55mm lenses.

Seems to me that S1 ibis is at a similar level to EM-5, a little bit worse. I tested EM-5 ibis extensively 10 years ago. On EM-5, 25mm and wider is tripod like, 25-50mm is monopod like, over 50mm the footage is possibly usable, but there is no guarantee. I suppose OM-1 ibis is significantly better than EM-5. There are about three generations in between. 

With Resolve's Stabilization, S1 ibis may be OK. According to my experience, Resolve's stabilization generates artifacts, the degree of the artifacts is different from different codecs, different frame rates, and different settings. Not sure why. 

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Shooting with the S5ii a few days ago with the 20-60mm I was noticing some weirdness from the IBIS in terms of distortion and wondering whether its interacting (badly) with the lens correction for barrel distortion.

These are two consecutive frames and there is a tiny horizontal change which the IBIS is correcting but its causing quite a distortion on the edges.

IBIS-AA.thumb.jpg.6c011a825b0fd73205d0b58e2f13a35e.jpg

IBIS-A1.thumb.jpg.e8008ca4043f98fea5d5203245a52802.jpg

Its subtle but its very noticeable on the building on the right.

However, when you do a difference action between the two frames you can really see how it is spreading the distortion from the centre (where its barely anything) outwards.  

IBIS-DIFF.thumb.jpg.6ebf0e17bb22e7975d7355f0e20cc283.jpg

Yeah, that's terrible, and not easy to correct in post at all.

I am wondering when the camera manufacturers and/or post people will get their act together and start addressing these distortions - if they profile a lens then it should be 99% fixable, either in-camera via processing or in-post using gyro and IBIS + OIS alignment data, or simply a more sophisticated stabilisation algorithm than a 2D crop of the final image.  It doesn't even have to be perfect, an 80-90% reduction in the flappiness would be - well - 5-10x better.

I mean, if a GoPro can do it for one lens, essentially perfectly, then it can't be beyond a multi-thousand dollar professional camera body with a native lens.

7 minutes ago, zlfan said:

s5 ii with a 50mm prime. pretty good. certainly not as good as a gimbal, but the static handheld shots are good enough. 

a young guy like him spends about $3000 for a s 5 ii/x and a 50 mm prime lens and a gimbal, spends sometime practicing, then gets shots at Hollywood blockbuster level only available to a closed circle 10 years ago. amazing time. 

22 minutes ago, zlfan said:

gerald undone thinks that s1 has a much better ibis than s5. probably the bigger body, the high power consumption, helps to maintain a higher performance ibis system in s1. sometimes bigger body still reigns. 

Could be...

I think my S1H had better IBIS than my OG S5, but the S5ii has better IBIS than the S1H...which is to be expected because it's a much more recent camera.

OM-1 was really good...