a full frame camera with the best ibis?

zlfan

1 hour ago, zlfan said:

gerald undone thinks that s1 has a much better ibis than s5. probably the bigger body, the high power consumption, helps to maintain a higher performance ibis system in s1. sometimes bigger body still reigns. 

Yes but this is not true.

Undone has always found something to say to fault Panasonic in the past, like he did with the reviews of the 10-25mm saying the 18-35mm had better AF ... And saying the S1 IBIS is much better than the S5 without even comparing them to Sony cameras is doubtful to say the least, especially when he was the first to say the AF was much better on Sony than on panasonic (which was true).
Both the S1 and S5 are very comparable for IBIS. The S1 is very slightly better. Even with a 85mm lens, I must really looking closely to see the difference with IS BOOST enabled.

An exemple :

When walking there is a bit more "jump" on the S5, but the difference is very slight. I used and still use the S1 and S5 a lot and they are really close. I saw some comments saying the S1H had better IBIS than the S1 but I never made a comparison with both so I don't know.

The real upgrade was with the S5II, especially when walking, the S5II is noticeably better than the S1 and S5 but it can sometimes look more "digital".
By exemple when shooting in 6K or Open Gate with a 85mm and IS BOOST, the S5II seems a bit more stable than the S1, but when cropping I can see a bit more micro jitters on the S5II like if the S5II was applying a stronger correction. This make me think the S5II uses more processing power for the IBIS, and maybe lower the overall image quality compared to the S5 and S1.
However when walking, the S5II is clearly better past 24mm, both the S5 and S1 show visibly more "jump".
I suppose we can't get a more perfect camera till Panasonic will drastically change the processor and the sensor of their full frame cameras (they still use the same Sony sensor from 2018).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, Beritar said:

Yes but this is not true.

Undone has always found something to say to fault Panasonic in the past, like he did with the reviews of the 10-25mm saying the 18-35mm had better AF ... And saying the S1 IBIS is much better than the S5 without even comparing them to Sony cameras is doubtful to say the least, especially when he was the first to say the AF was much better on Sony than on panasonic (which was true).
Both the S1 and S5 are very comparable for IBIS. The S1 is very slightly better. Even with a 85mm lens, I must really looking closely to see the difference with IS BOOST enabled.

An exemple :

When walking there is a bit more "jump" on the S5, but the difference is very slight. I used and still use the S1 and S5 a lot and they are really close. I saw some comments saying the S1H had better IBIS than the S1 but I never made a comparison with both so I don't know.

The real upgrade was with the S5II, especially when walking, the S5II is noticeably better than the S1 and S5 but it can sometimes look more "digital".
By exemple when shooting in 6K or Open Gate with a 85mm and IS BOOST, the S5II seems a bit more stable than the S1, but when cropping I can see a bit more micro jitters on the S5II like if the S5II was applying a stronger correction. This make me think the S5II uses more processing power for the IBIS, and maybe lower the overall image quality compared to the S5 and S1.
However when walking, the S5II is clearly better past 24mm, both the S5 and S1 show visibly more "jump".
I suppose we can't get a more perfect camera till Panasonic will drastically change the processor and the sensor of their full frame cameras (they still use the same Sony sensor from 2018).

s5 with helios 58mm static shots seems fine to my eyes. 

• Super Members
8 hours ago, kye said:

Yeah, that's terrible, and not easy to correct in post at all.

I am wondering when the camera manufacturers and/or post people will get their act together and start addressing these distortions - if they profile a lens then it should be 99% fixable, either in-camera via processing or in-post using gyro and IBIS + OIS alignment data, or simply a more sophisticated stabilisation algorithm than a 2D crop of the final image.  It doesn't even have to be perfect, an 80-90% reduction in the flappiness would be - well - 5-10x better.

I mean, if a GoPro can do it for one lens, essentially perfectly, then it can't be beyond a multi-thousand dollar professional camera body with a native lens.

It shouldn't be beyond the means of Panasonic to create a hotshoe mounted 9 axis IMU that embeds the data in the files via BLE so you can have the option of both.

The drawback to the L mount series is how few optically stabilised lenses there are for it as well.

Baffles me that Sigma in particular don't make any (other than the 100-400) with OIS as if there is any camera in L mount that could do with a helping hand regarding stabilisation it is their own ones.

All of it just emphasises how nothing beats a tripod.

IBIS means we can stick it to the man by snatching shots where tripods would likely be unable to be used but if the end result is irreparable warping then its a pyrrhic victory really isn't it.

not as good as a gimbal, a little bit worse than go pro 12. but very impressive as it is casual walking video making. I think the static shots should be very stable on this camera, which is actually the most practical way to shoot. if want to shoot walking all the time, an action cam is more proper.  

On 6/15/2024 at 6:43 AM, John Matthews said:

On the IBIS front, we've gone from taking out micro-jitters to gimbal replacement. IMO nothing truly replaces a skilled steadycam operator. However, if you're one man show, the Panasonic S5ii/x has the best IBIS in the business in June 2024. Sony is far, far behind for out-of-camera gimbal like shots on their FF bodies. Nikon and Canon still have issues with warpy corners on wide shots (the majority of shots for "gimbal replacements"). Coming from M43 and used to Panasonic and Olympus systems crushing FF bodies, I was amazed how Panasonic did it.

I totally agree, I just upgraded my Panasonic S5ii to the latest firmware, and in IBIS "tripod mode" with the 24-105/4 OIS I was able to handhold a 2-hour theatre production for the zoom close-ups and it is as steady as my wide tripod shots. 

I'm going to shoot my first live event (carnival, moving around) with my S5ii and 24-105/4.  I've shot it for every year on just about every Panasonic and Olympus camera since the summer the GX80 came out.  I'm curious how the S5ii will compare.  The best so far was my E-M1ii with the Olympus 12-100/4 OIS.  That was an amazingly stable setup.  I only switched to the S5ii as I needed better low-light for theatre photography and use the Sigma 14-70/2.8.  Actually high iso might not matter much anymore even for photography as the AI noise reduction in Lightroom is amazing.