Why FF is the digital age hybrid king?

Emanuel

wdym with FF?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. FF today or never?

• FF is not the same as S35... neither less (i.e. FF came to stay)
    • There's no sensor size look... only math to me (i.e. I don't give a damn for FF)

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That depends on where you purchased it, in my country the GH3 was unlimited recording length. 

This is what I felt made the GH3 the ultimate stills camera (for filmmaking) of the 1080 era, and a refinement of the GH2. 

All the great benefits of the GH2 hack (such as unlimited recordings and better image quality) you could get in the GH3 without needing to hack it. But you also got other benefits from the GH3 as well that the GH2 didn't have: better weatherproofing, better battery life, slow motion FHD, much better OLED, better low light, better DR, headphone jack, clean HDMI, WiFi, and more. 

I think the GH5 was more than just a refinement of the GH4, as internal 10bit and IBIS are both two big things 

And yeah, mentioned the GH5 already

Yeah it is a question of if with time (say in 2030, or even 2040) will the GH2 be most famous for its hack and early impact in the beginning days of the HDSLR Revolution? Or will it be the GH4 for being the first with 4K?

interesting, i did not know that gh3 can be unlimited in certain countries. good to know. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

actually, i have a feeling that gh2's 1080p is oversampled from the 5k-6k sensor, that it is so good, it still holds until now. the body like evf, lcd, other functions, etc, may not be as good as the latest. but iq alone, seems to me it is not far behind the current gh cameras. just my feeling when watching on youtube. 

There was also something nice about the use of the high bitrate mjpeg codec in those earlier Panasonic cameras... I think the GH1 had it, or it was added in the hack? I am not technical enough to say why, but there was something about the motion that just looked a little more cooler. It worked in the 1DC as well, I think. 

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yup, the GH1 was hacked, it had some very high bit rate options with a hack. 

Was the original firmware mjpeg and the high bitrate was added, or was the mjpeg hidden in the original FW and turned on via the hack? I had an old Panasonic point and shoot that had a CCD sensor and used the mjpeg codec and I just loved the image out of that thing. 

20 minutes ago, mercer said:

There was also something nice about the use of the high bitrate mjpeg codec in those earlier Panasonic cameras... I think the GH1 had it, or it was added in the hack? I am not technical enough to say why, but there was something about the motion that just looked a little more cooler. It worked in the 1DC as well, I think. 

motion jpeg codec is compression within the frame, like I-frame, all-i, etc, not like long gop that compresses among similar frames. the former has higher bit rates and larger files, but better quality, especially at higher bit rates, especially for movements. 

6 minutes ago, zlfan said:

motion jpeg codec is compression within the frame, like I-frame, all-i, etc, not like long gop that compresses among similar frames. the former has higher bit rates and larger files, but better quality, especially at higher bit rates, especially for movements. 

Well, that much I knew. But there has been plenty of all-i codecs since and although they look better than their IPB counterparts, they still don't look quite as cool as mjpeg used to look... I don't know... maybe it's a nostalgic thing. 

58 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, that much I knew. But there has been plenty of all-i codecs since and although they look better than their IPB counterparts, they still don't look quite as cool as mjpeg used to look... I don't know... maybe it's a nostalgic thing. 

I read somewhere that motion jpeg has good image quality but slow rendering speed. so maybe your impression is true, not just nostalgic.