how do om1 mkii or even om1 dci 4k video quality comparing to gh7 or even gh6

zlfan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, zlfan said:

it is interesting to see how good om1/om1 mkii dci 4k is. i am attracted to the ibis mostly. just kind of uncertain of their video quality. 

like any other camera:

if you're an artist then it's fine.

if you're a technician then not fine because it doesn't have 750MP and 22 stops of DR.

1 hour ago, kye said:

like any other camera:

if you're an artist then it's fine.

if you're a technician then not fine because it doesn't have 750MP and 22 stops of DR.

this spec is too much. you want me bankrupted. lol. 

16 hours ago, zlfan said:

it is interesting to see how good om1/om1 mkii dci 4k is. i am attracted to the ibis mostly. just kind of uncertain of their video quality. 

I own the E-M1 iii and OM-1.

C4K (DCI 4k) on the E-M1 iii is the best quality video mode, 8-bit 237Mbs H.264, but it's 24.00p only. The UHD 4k modes are softer and lower bitrate (and are 25p and 29.97p only, no 24.00p). AFAIK the video quality on the E-M1X is the same. Video sensor-shift IBIS on E-M1 iii is excellent and is adjustable in strength ( -1/0/+1). The +1 setting is almost tripod-like if you hold the camera still, but can be panned slowly without noticeable jerkiness at wide to normal focal lengths. Adding digital IS improves stability quite a lot but adds an extra crop and degrades picture quality a little.

OM-1 has better video quality all-round - FHD/UHD/C4K 10-bit H.265 4:2:0 in OMLog400 or HLG at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94p (plus 24.00p in C4K only). IMHO the video IBIS is pretty much the same/a bit better than on the E-M1 iii. Also has very low rolling shutter (< 10ms) due to fast stacked sensor and a lovely 5.76Mp EVF.

Note that you can't adjust the sharpening in the Flat, Log or HLG picture profiles, and on the OM-1 you can't use the standard (photo) profiles in 10-bit mode, only in 8-bit mode.

I can't compare the OM-1 to the GH6 or GH7, but compared to my (original) Pana G9 it's swings and roundabouts - G9 supports 10-bit 4:2:2 video, but OM-1 has better EVF, IBIS, ergonomics and battery life (and better audio from built-in mics). For my uses, that makes the OM-1 a better all-round video camera.

(The best stabilisation I've ever used is the OM-1 with the 12-100mm F4 pro lens - that combo uses Sync-IS, combining lens OIS with IBIS).

4 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

I can't compare the OM-1 to the GH6 or GH7, but compared to my (original) Pana G9 it's swings and roundabouts - G9 supports 10-bit 4:2:2 video, but OM-1 has better EVF, IBIS, ergonomics and battery life (and better audio from built-in mics). For my uses, that makes the OM-1 a better all-round video camera.

The conclusion that I came to when I briefly owned the OM-1, was that the Panny had better video capability and quality, but I’d have preferred that in the OM-1 body which I think is the better body.

Also FAR better AF with Oly, if that is a requirement.

Unfortunately, as with so many things, you can’t have both!

Today, I’d go GH7 for sure because for me, the video quality would beat the use ability edge that I think the OM series has.

But that would just be my preference…

For stills I’d go Oly.

For hybrid I’d go Oly.

Pure video useage, I’d ride The Pony of Hope.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The conclusion that I came to when I briefly owned the OM-1, was that the Panny had better video capability and quality, but I’d have preferred that in the OM-1 body which I think is the better body.

I agree with that. 

It's a real shame that with some work on the OM-1 firmware it could compete much better with the G9ii for primarily video use, but OMDS (and Olympus before them) don't seem to be interested in doing it. Maybe because they ask their existing user base if they'd like more/better video features and the response is 'err - what's video?'. I've been to a few OMDS camera store events and online Q&A sessions - honestly I've never met anyone who regularly uses the OM-1 for video, it's nearly all stills photographers, particularly wildlife ones, that are there.

(The ultimate silliness on the OM-1 is that in photo mode, by default, the video record button is assigned to another function - so unless you re-assign it it's impossible to start a video recording when in photo mode...)

6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

C4K (DCI 4k) on the E-M1 iii is the best quality video mode, 8-bit 237Mbs H.264, but it's 24.00p only. The UHD 4k modes are softer and lower bitrate (and are 25p and 29.97p only, no 24.00p). AFAIK the video quality on the E-M1X is the same. Video sensor-shift IBIS on E-M1 iii is excellent and is adjustable in strength ( -1/0/+1). The +1 setting is almost tripod-like if you hold the camera still, but can be panned slowly without noticeable jerkiness at wide to normal focal lengths. Adding digital IS improves stability quite a lot but adds an extra crop and degrades picture quality a little.

OM-1 has better video quality all-round - FHD/UHD/C4K 10-bit H.265 4:2:0 in OMLog400 or HLG at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94p (plus 24.00p in C4K only). IMHO the video IBIS is pretty much the same/a bit better than on the E-M1 iii. Also has very low rolling shutter (< 10ms) due to fast stacked sensor and a lovely 5.76Mp EVF.

Note that you can't adjust the sharpening in the Flat, Log or HLG picture profiles, and on the OM-1 you can't use the standard (photo) profiles in 10-bit mode, only in 8-bit mode.

(The best stabilisation I've ever used is the OM-1 with the 12-100mm F4 pro lens - that combo uses Sync-IS, combining lens OIS with IBIS).

thank you very much for the detailed hands on experience sharing.

i have a feeling that om1 mk iii will have a drastically improved video. as other japanese companies go internal raw, olympus 1 series has to catch up and do something. om1 ibis already almost reaches plateau, om1 mk3 has little to improve here, but has a lot to do on video. 

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Unfortunately, as with so many things, you can’t have both!

What I meant was you can’t have everything in one body and there is always a compromise somewhere whether it’s the; AF, IBIS, ergos, anything etc… so as always, pick what are the most important qualities amd be prepared to accept some compromises.

2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

What I meant was you can’t have everything in one body and there is always a compromise somewhere whether it’s the; AF, IBIS, ergos, anything etc… so as always, pick what are the most important qualities amd be prepared to accept some compromises.

totally true. oly 1 series have some very interesting photo features. 

11 minutes ago, zlfan said:

i have a feeling that om1 mk iii will have a drastically improved video.

I'm not holding my breath, when e.g. at present you can't even use any standard photo profile in 10-bit video (and the mk ii version didn't have any video improvements over the mk i, other than in AF as part of the overall AF improvements). It'll be interesting to see what is actually in the promised autumn firmware update for the mk i.

But the OM-1 mk i is now good value used - you get a lot of camera (for around £1000 - £1200 in the UK), with a very nice fast stacked sensor and lovely EVF, and useful computational still photography features (like the live ND).

3 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I'm not holding my breath, when e.g. at present you can't even use any standard photo profile in 10-bit video (and the mk ii version didn't have any video improvements over the mk i, other than in AF as part of the overall AF improvements). It'll be interesting to see what is actually in the promised autumn firmware update for the mk i.

But the OM-1 mk i is now good value used - you get a lot of camera (for around £1000 - £1200 in the UK), with a very nice fast stacked sensor and lovely EVF, and useful computational still photography features (like the live ND).

i have been waiting an om camera body since em5 that i can use my many manual focused vintage lenses, as om has the best ibis. i waited 10 years, i guess that i need to wait for another 5 years for om to come to a really video friendly body. what a pity. at that time, maybe other companies' ibis is good enough. 

8 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

One thing I think is overlooked is how insanely fast the sensor of the OM-1 is. Codecs, color science, bit rates and everything else aside, to me the OM-1 always seemed like the closest thing to a digital bolex available today. It's a real shame so few good examples of the video performance is posted online, would love to see some more to judge motion cadence etc. I've also heard the OM-1 is very hard to get to overheat when recording video, which is always a plus.

9 hours ago, Simon Young said:

It's a real shame so few good examples of the video performance is posted online

Same as the S1H is so overlooked as a photo camera on-line.

Stuff gets pegged and few look beyond the norm and I am sure the OM1 is a highly capable video camera in the right hands.

I probably dismissed it too soon because SOOC, it was not as good as my S1H.

Well it probably wasn’t go to be and ultimately probably never could be, but absolutely stuffs it in other areas such as; AF, size, weight etc…

I personally like things that are less mainstream and like using combos of things few others do such as: OM-1 for video, S1H for stills, Nikon bodies with adapted E Mount Tamron lenses…

17 hours ago, Simon Young said:

One thing I think is overlooked is how insanely fast the sensor of the OM-1 is.

The very low rolling shutter distortion is a major plus point for me - I do a lot of railway video, and not having noticeably skewed verticals on trains is really nice...

17 hours ago, Simon Young said:

It's a real shame so few good examples of the video performance is posted online, would love to see some more to judge motion cadence etc.

I'll upload a few 10-bit SOOC files later.

In the meantime, this was shot with my OM-1 - captured handheld, sensor-shift IBIS, in FHD 50p, 8-bit 'Natural' profile, auto-WB, using the Oly 12-200mm lens. Edited in Vegas Pro and rendered to 4k 50p for YT upload. (Aimed at railway enthusiasts like me, so not the most exciting video content 😉).

1 hour ago, ac6000cw said:

I do a lot of railway video

I was just watching a camera review and the fella was saying that the camera had train detect AF but who videos trains?

People, birds and butterflies and cars but trains.

I’ll pass your details on to him 😉

3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The very low rolling shutter distortion is a major plus point for me - I do a lot of railway video, and not having noticeably skewed verticals on trains is really nice...

In the meantime, this was shot with my OM-1 - captured handheld, sensor-shift IBIS, in FHD 50p, 8-bit 'Natural' profile, auto-WB, using the Oly 12-200mm lens. Edited in Vegas Pro and rendered to 4k 50p for YT upload. (Aimed at railway enthusiasts like me, so not the most exciting video content 😉).

OM-1 image quality is good, detailed. I think its iq should be comparable to gh6/gh7. Functionality is another topic. 

This is FHD. I guess that DCI 4K 237 mbps is even better on OM-1? 

ibis is tripod like most of the time. at extreme tele, probably 100 mm, there is minor shaking showing that it is hand held. but generally speaking, shaking is not eye catching at all. 

color is fine, natural realistic look.

thanks a lot for sharing.

5 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Olympus colors never disappoint! Would be really cool to see some 4k 10bit footage in 25p as well.

Lovely! What is the bitrate for HD 50p? @ac6000cw How would you evaluate the quality in this mode? Are there artefacts, moire, aliasing, mush, lackluster hd or fully resolving hd resolution? Colors look very nice. I only zapped through a little bit. Great fun to watch! 3.25min and 7.40min, super cool!