how do om1 mkii or even om1 dci 4k video quality comparing to gh7 or even gh6

zlfan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

This is a collection of SOOC files from my OM-1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1527WMHFXJmDvTGI74QINJQdstgJPhXyt&usp=drive_fs

Most are 10-bit OMLog400 and two are 10-bit HLG (in low light).

The four files in the 'Road' folder are all of the same scene shot back-to-back, 10-bit OMLog400, in FHD 50p, UHD 50p and UHD 25p as a comparison.

Most were shot with the Oly 12-40mm pro lens, using sensor-shift IBIS only, auto-WB, 1/100 shutter priority (auto aperture and auto iso). All using C-AF with a medium size central focus area and default C-AF speed and sensitivity settings.

The file in the 'Train crossing road' folder is 8-bit UHD 50p and demonstrates the the low rolling shutter.

There is an OM System OMLog400 Rec2020 to Rec709 conversion LUT here - https://support.jp.omsystem.com/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/3dlut/files/om1_LUT_OM-Log400_BT.2020_to_WDR_BT.709_v1.0.zip - but personally I don't particularly like the results from it.

the footage looks great even without any grading. 

5 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

This is a collection of SOOC files from my OM-1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1527WMHFXJmDvTGI74QINJQdstgJPhXyt&usp=drive_fs

Most are 10-bit OMLog400 and two are 10-bit HLG (in low light).

The four files in the 'Road' folder are all of the same scene shot back-to-back, 10-bit OMLog400, in FHD 50p, UHD 50p and UHD 25p as a comparison.

Most were shot with the Oly 12-40mm pro lens, using sensor-shift IBIS only, auto-WB, 1/100 shutter priority (auto aperture and auto iso). All using C-AF with a medium size central focus area and default C-AF speed and sensitivity settings.

The file in the 'Train crossing road' folder is 8-bit UHD 50p and demonstrates the the low rolling shutter.

There is an OM System OMLog400 Rec2020 to Rec709 conversion LUT here - https://support.jp.omsystem.com/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/3dlut/files/om1_LUT_OM-Log400_BT.2020_to_WDR_BT.709_v1.0.zip - but personally I don't particularly like the results from it.

uhd 50p 10 bit and fhd 50p 10 bit are the same to my eyes. no significant difference.

if these are handheld shots, they are excellent. nobody will doubt that these shots are on tripod. 

uhd 25p 10 bit is almost the same as uhd 50p and fhd 50p, except that when cars move into the scene from the right to the center, when the cars enter, I can see minor jumpy feelings sometimes. the 50p modes have smooth car movements. 

om1 dr seems good. the sky and the clouds seem nice. 

thanks a lot for the testing footage. regards, 

generally speaking, I think om1 video image quality is good enough for general usage. if carefully executed in acquisition and in post processing, the footage can be put on a theatre screen without much concern. as by my experience, a laptop screen with a viewing distance of 1 foot or a desktop 4k screen with a viewing distance of 2 feet, is more demanding than sitting in the middle of a commercial theatre watching the large screen. 

5 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Doubtless because most people regard it as a 'hulk' - but you do get the equivalent of a free, non-removable battery grip included, as well as an earlier version of the Ai subject detection and tracking that's in the OM-1 (which isn't in the E-M1 iii that followed the E-M1x).

I've never owned one (or had any interest in such a large m43 camera), but in theory it may/should have.

most high end cameras with integrated battery grip have higher internal voltage than cameras with no battery grip, so faster af and some other features due to the higher internal voltage. add-on battery grip is better than no but not as good as integrated battery grip. 

2 hours ago, zlfan said:

uhd 25p 10 bit is almost the same as uhd 50p and fhd 50p, except that when cars move into the scene from the right to the center, when the cars enter, I can see minor jumpy feelings sometimes. the 50p modes have smooth car movements

I suspect when I shot the 25p video I forgot to change the shutter speed from 1/100 (180 degree shutter for 50p) to the 1/50 needed for 25p. That would make it look stuttery/jumpy.

2 hours ago, zlfan said:

if these are handheld shots

All of the video samples were shot handheld, with only sensor-shift IBIS enabled (probably at the highest, +1, stability setting).

21 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I suspect when I shot the 25p video I forgot to change the shutter speed from 1/100 (180 degree shutter for 50p) to the 1/50 needed for 25p. That would make it look stuttery/jumpy.

All of the video samples were shot handheld, with only sensor-shift IBIS enabled (probably at the highest, +1, stability setting).

fantastic results, actually. you convinced me to buy the om-1. I will look for some deals during the Christmas season. thanks a lot for the help. you work on the train is also interesting. 

On 6/21/2024 at 1:07 PM, ac6000cw said:

Just added a clip of walking along using only sensor-shift IBIS (probably on the max +1 video stabilisation setting) in the 'IBIS_walk' folder (OM1_walking_with_IBIS_P8260305.MOV)

It's quite wide-angle so has a fair amount of corner warping, but I really like the way it becomes very stable as soon as you stop walking.