UEFA Euro 2024

Emanuel

Portugal won today a difficult match against the Czech Republic, now known as Czechia in our UEFA Euro 2024 debut.

GQYlX1wWgAAnQrY.thumb.jpeg.c59cc20c0faf0ae255d61cfbdda7da77.jpeg

Former European Champion in the previous tournament before the actual champions Italy, we dream with the 'caneco' (slang for cup in Portuguese ; )

Match after match, we have to not be a loser 7 times in a row... That's the secret formula! LOL : )

What about your expectations? Who's from here is following the game?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I thought that despite some good fortune with both goals that you definitely deserved the win. 

The disallowed Jota goal was unlucky too as it was such a narrow offside against Ronaldo that even the defenders didn’t claim it.

The host broadcaster is very much into the shallow DOF shots from the roaming camera of fans in the crowd and the players in the tunnel etc. 

Its so jarring that it looks like computational fakery versus the regular camera images.

We have a theoretically marriage dividing game in our house on Friday when England play Denmark but the national team leaves me so cold on multiple levels that I’m not fussed either way.

I’m just looking forward to the Carlsberg and the hot dogs.

LOL Thanks for your kind support and good time for celebrating then, either ways you'll be fine ; )

I am already used for a weakness but of my own and love about England...

Without mention LVT, Dreyer and Kierkegaard are the remaining ones to always have to share some care for Denmark too! : )

Love Diogo Jota... and that CR7's offside was actually in the opposite of the leftover but we've suffered a lot just until the end.

We shall have fun for next month I hope! :- )

I only watched 1st half of the Portugal game as was playing football last night but they seemed in total control, was surprised to hear they needed a bit of luck at the end to win. I still see them and Germany as the strongest teams, with France and Spain just behind. Am English but feel we are not street wise enough to actually win a tournament.

Portugal are a strange mix for me, they have my 3 least favourite players as far as sportsmanship and ego are concerned - Pepe, Ronaldo and Fernandes, but also 2 I love watching - Bernardo Silva and the young Vitinha, a future star. My favourite Portuguese player was Rui Costa, have always loved midfielders.

England are too naive defensively to win a tournament I think, we lack the game management skills of the stronger teams - and we have maybe too many good attacking players to squeeze them all into a team where they are playing in their best positions. But hopefully we will get better as the tournament progresses

I wish your Portuguese team all the best, a Portugal England final would be surprising but amazing, just don't let it go to penalties, our biggest achilles heel 

• 2 weeks later...

WOW What a goalkeeper... and what a national pride the way we realise a new real sporting hero is your fellow-countryman!

«Portugal’s Diogo Costa became the first goalkeeper to save three penalties in a UEFA European Championship penalty shoot-out. He is the first goalkeeper not to concede in a EURO shoot-out.»

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/news/028f-1b444b669763-02cf9eef0516-1000--portugal-0-0-slovenia-aet-3-0-pens-diogo-costa-heroics-take-/

gettyimages-2160138339-scaled.thumb.webp.3eaddc58cac449d786ceb5d3bc954f71.webp

• Super Members

That was some display of Main Character Syndrome by Ronaldo last night though taking every single free kick and then the  penalty though.

It was very weak and potentially catastrophic from Martinez not to substitute him at half time of extra time after the penalty miss when he clearly had become an emotional wreck.

You could argue he got redemption in the end scoring one in the shootout but it was really horrible as a neutral watching him fall apart like that so God knows what impact it was having on his team mates.

The brilliance of Costa dug Martinez out of a big hole.

I wouldn't be starting Ronaldo in the next game as his body isn't responding to him any more.

The talismanic effect of having him in the team has been lost if he's seen to crumble like that and make it all about him.

France are not hitting any heights in this tournament so I think you have a reasonable chance of overcoming them but you can't do it with a passenger.

On 7/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, BTM_Pix said:

That was some display of Main Character Syndrome by Ronaldo last night though taking every single free kick and then the  penalty though.

It was very weak and potentially catastrophic from Martinez not to substitute him at half time of extra time after the penalty miss when he clearly had become an emotional wreck.

You could argue he got redemption in the end scoring one in the shootout but it was really horrible as a neutral watching him fall apart like that so God knows what impact it was having on his team mates.

The brilliance of Costa dug Martinez out of a big hole.

I wouldn't be starting Ronaldo in the next game as his body isn't responding to him any more.

The talismanic effect of having him in the team has been lost if he's seen to crumble like that and make it all about him.

France are not hitting any heights in this tournament so I think you have a reasonable chance of overcoming them but you can't do it with a passenger.

I understand the point and there are a few several sacred cows as always in such an old country, Martinez knows he is working in Salazar's land so better to not touch in the furniture he found when arrived, it's more or less the way it works but not necessarily CR7 related. I guess he is more in focus from outside for real who see him greater than the country itself/ourselves and under a nationwide attention, when Vitinha goes to bench, Rafael Leão follows but the men of United and City stand no matter their shape, just as an example.

Hope France will repeat 2016 hehe ; ) and good luck to England for a safe next match then... :- )