Adobe collects your artwork data to train it's Ai

A_Urquhart

This is kind of old news but  not seeing it talked about too much and it should be!

Adobe collects the artwork data of its paying users to train it's AI. Surely artists wouldn't be happy about this if they knew?

https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2023/01/07/adobe_ai_training/

I left Adobe many years ago due to their borderline scam subscription model and how hard it was to cancel, not to mention extremely buggy software but I think this latest practice should be the last straw for anyone still on Adobe. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem is that there's nothing that comes close to replacing Photoshop and Illustrator for a lot of us. I bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, but they overall slowed me down and lacked features. For all the criticisms that there are for Photoshop and Illustrator, and they are all legitimate, they get the job done and for those of us who've used them for 25 years it's very difficult to switch.

Unfortunately this is the new future. We're all training AI every single day without even realizing it. Our posts on this message board are probably being used to train AI, not to mention our social media, search history, etc.

There is the choice for companies not to do that and maybe they will outnumber the data collecting services. Davinci offers the technological possibilities for colorists and editors to be used to their benefit and not to take advantage of them and possibly make them obsolete. Davinci Resolves business model is built around selling the hardware and infrastructure, which professionals will use and buy.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

The problem is that there's nothing that comes close to replacing Photoshop and Illustrator for a lot of us. I bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, but they overall slowed me down and lacked features. For all the criticisms that there are for Photoshop and Illustrator, and they are all legitimate, they get the job done and for those of us who've used them for 25 years it's very difficult to switch.

Unfortunately this is the new future. We're all training AI every single day without even realizing it. Our posts on this message board are probably being used to train AI, not to mention our social media, search history, etc.

I am not paying to use this forum and this forum is not my lively hood. 

If I pay for software and at the same time am providing a company like Adobe my artwork for them to profit off, shouldn't they be paying me! 

Just found this: 

for anyone still using Adobe in this day and age, it's time to give them the finger.

55 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

I am not paying to use this forum and this forum is not my lively hood. 

If I pay for software and at the same time am providing a company like Adobe my artwork for them to profit off, shouldn't they be paying me! 

Just found this: 

for anyone still using Adobe in this day and age, it's time to give them the finger.

You don't think that artwork is being used when it's posted to the internet? 

What do you think is being fed to AI, man? 

Until there are laws in place there's not a ton we can do. Not excusing it, just being honest. 

I'd love to say goodbye to Photoshop and Illustrator because of the subscription mode alone, but as I said there's nothing out there replaces them for me. 

46 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You don't think that artwork is being used when it's posted to the internet? 

What do you think is being fed to AI, man? 

Until there are laws in place there's not a ton we can do. Not excusing it, just being honest. 

I'd love to say goodbye to Photoshop and Illustrator because of the subscription mode alone, but as I said there's nothing out there replaces them for me. 

There's not much we can do about it once it's posted online and IF it's posted online. 

I used Adobe for work and many still do now. Adobe are scraping your artwork data right from the very app you are paying to use. There is a big difference doing that to AI scouri g the internet! 

Surely you can see it? 

It blows my mind that so many people have this apathetic attitude to things like this.

No, it is outrageous, but it's not an easy change for a lot of people to move from Adobe products to others.  I've tried several times to use Capture One instead of Lightroom and I'm just too accustomed to Lightroom.  Capture One feels clumsy and awkward.

To make it worse, when working with scans from very large negatives, neither Lightroom nor Capture One can handle them so I'm stuck with Photoshop - and no other product I've found is able to handle such enormous files (and Photoshop does it badly/slowly). 

Anyway, this is already old news and Adobe backed off on it after so much user outrage.  Whether you believe Adobe when they say they won't do it, that's another story.

https://www.wired.com/story/adobe-says-it-wont-train-ai-using-artists-work-creatives-arent-convinced/#:~:text=Late on Tuesday%2C Adobe issued,opt out of content analytics.

15 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

There's not much we can do about it once it's posted online and IF it's posted online. 

I used Adobe for work and many still do now. Adobe are scraping your artwork data right from the very app you are paying to use. There is a big difference doing that to AI scouri g the internet! 

Surely you can see it? 

It blows my mind that so many people have this apathetic attitude to things like this.

It's not apathy, it's just being a realist. There is very little that I can do when my business depends on using these programs. There simply are not alternatives out there that would seamlessly slip into my workflow without adding time and limitations. I wish there was, as I've spent time and money trying other applications out because I despise the subscription model. Things that take literally a few clicks in Photoshop can take minutes to achieve in Affinity Photo or Gimp, and for me that's just not an option.

I moved on years ago now. It was simple. They started their BS subscription crap and I moved on very quickly to DXO photolab for photos and Final cut x for video. Lightroom was getting so slow anyway. Now, I just work with folders with DXO (SSD required). IMO, it blows away Lightroom for many things, especially noise reduction. I've saved so much money by not going to the subscription service. I purchased DXO PL5 and 6 over the span of 5-6 years. I just "published" all of my edits and kept all of my raws.