Lumix and...Sony?

MrSMW

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I often read that you can also adapt almost any lens to these mirrorless cameras, but it seems that a lot of folks that say that, usually only shoot with native lenses.

Both are true. Just from my own limited experience - my EF-S 17-55 2.8 has worked well via adapters/focal length reducers, with functioning AF, on every Sony body I've used (FS700, FS5, A7R1, A6600) but is terrible compared to the inexpensive Sony 24-105 f4 - literally worlds apart. So if AF is important, it generally has to be native.

Personally I only use it for 'fun' shooting and for anything intentional use my Super Takumars, but even for the 'fun' stuff I want AF I can rely on.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Both are true. Just from my own limited experience - my EF-S 17-55 2.8 has worked well via adapters/focal length reducers, with functioning AF, on every Sony body I've used (FS700, FS5, A7R1, A6600) but is terrible compared to the inexpensive Sony 24-105 f4 - literally worlds apart. So if AF is important, it generally has to be native.

Personally I only use it for 'fun' shooting and for anything intentional use my Super Takumars, but even for the 'fun' stuff I want AF I can rely on.

Wasn't looking at it that way. Whenever I think of adaptable lenses, recent electronic AF lenses never come to mind. I'm always thinking about M42, like your Tak, or PL mount, or c-mount or old S16 Zeiss lenses.

Love Super Takumar lenses by the way, I was planning on selling off my small and rather basic collection but then after using the 50mm 1.4, even wide open, on my FP, I remember why I bought them in the first place.

If I remember correctly, didn't you used to have the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm 2.4? Or am I thinking of someone else?

• Super Members
4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But if my update rambles help other folks in some of their own choices, then good.

Funnily enough, only yesterday I picked up a piece of gear that you featured in a previous episode.

Not the camper van unfortunately but the cart.

Currently on special in Aldi for the bargain price of £44.99 

292740924_ScreenShot2024-06-21at10_51_42.png.8e7a74eb6db29f05790a1ea135fc35c5.png

So, thats the transportation sorted for the kinky amount of 135mm lenses I've acquired over the years.

Will need the camper van for transporting the therapy triggering number of 24 and 35mm lenses.

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

If I remember correctly, didn't you used to have the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm 2.4? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Someone else, sadly.

I have the 20, 28, 35, 50 1.4, 55/2 and 135 3.5 in the Super Taks and I love them. Sadly I sold the 85 1.8 as I needed to free up some cash a couple of years ago and now I slightly bridle at paying GBP350 or so to get another!

45 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Funnily enough, only yesterday I picked up a piece of gear that you featured in a previous episode.

That’s actually one of my best investments. Along with the motorhome/RV.

The moho/RV saves me around €7k per annum that I am not spending on bed & board and will claw back around 35-40% of its purchase price after 10 years use.

The cart will be worth fuck all after 10 years, if it even lasts that long…which I doubt, but every wedding I use it at (which is almost all of them) it’s been invaluable. Single trip from van to somewhere convenient within the venue with all my kit loaded up which otherwise would be 3-4 walking trips each end of the day. 

Last job of the year it’s going to be especially useful as it’s nearly 1km from the closest parking to the church with no drop off opportunity as the roads are too tiny and I can’t get close. But I can trundle my trolley 2km. Kind of…

11 hours ago, mercer said:

I often read that you can also adapt almost any lens to these mirrorless cameras, but it seems that a lot of folks that say that, usually only shoot with native lenses.

Not really sure how you would know that or where your info comes from but I shoot mirrorless on 3 systems and don't own a single native lens. Lot's of benefits of mirrorless vs DSLR and ergonomics and size is still better even with larger lenses. Just because you have to ad a grip or a mount to help it's still light and the extra grip usually gives you extra battery life so it's a win win. As mentioned, it's opened up a whole new word of vintage glass that was otherwise unavailable. Konica Hexanons as a great example. Speed boosters, etc...

19 hours ago, mercer said:

That said... it's kinda moot because other than Pentax, nobody really makes DSLRs anymore... or better said... they don't release new models.

Even Pentax barely releases many new DSLR models. 

Most recent DSLR release was the Pentax KF, early 2023.

Before that? Pentax K-3 Mark III, early 2021

Before that? Pentax K-1 II (their second FF DSLR), in early 2018

Before that?? Pentax KP in early 2017

I think you get the picture now.