AI = lower lens prices? Or complete collapse of lens market?

Andrew Reid

There was this debate that smartphones will get better than ILCs, by 2020-22 or so. Suddenly smartphone sensor and Computational Photography/ AI development slowed down almost plateauing completely. In some ways the trade embargo on Huawei and Samsung and Sony mysteriously abandoning Triple Gain Sensors that they had presented papers on. Also, there were some talks on improving optics on smartphones much beyond the plastic lens optics currently used by the majority of the market.

Somehow all of it was abandoned, and smartphones never became equal to or much closer to ILCs. White for dynamic range, colour accuracy, low light and a few other parameters they can be great, in real pixel to pixel detail, and exposure latitude, they aren't comparable.

Until they improve Computational Photography/AI with the intention of replicating details on pixel levels comparable with ILCs, this seems to be something a bit in the future. While Topaz Labs and many others do it, including increasing resolution and even increasing bit depth, I wonder if it's actually as good as something shot on higher resolution (above the 12MP on smartphones) ILCs (24MP and above) with good quality glass. 

Smartphone photos, for now, only look good on small smartphone screens. On larger displays/ monitors they look strange (semi water colour pixalated). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For filming? Sure!

For photography? (which is what this discussion point is about)

Nah, I'll take the cheaper Nikon D750 (or for a bit D850)

An argument can be made either way but personally, if I only shot stills and was only ever going to shoot stills, I’d get one of the latest Hassleblads.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, sanveer said:

There was this debate that smartphones will get better than ILCs, by 2020-22 or so. Suddenly smartphone sensor and Computational Photography/ AI development slowed down almost plateauing completely.

It didn't slow down much, have you seen what generative AI is capable of when you feed it a source image?

The progress of that is huge in just 2 years.

The processing power of Generative AI is in the cloud, which makes it an app.

So it is a very short leap to embed this in the default iPhone camera app or the default Samsung camera.

The question is financial... Who pays for the cloud processing and how much.... When do smartphone GPUs reach the advanced threshold required to do this processing on the device rather than it needing a subscription?

2018-2023 is only 5 years of debate, and it saw 1" sensors become mainstream on flagship smartphones, often 100MP+ and a readout architecture fast enough for 6K RAW video, with no crop.

They don't need to go to APS-C or even MFT size sensors in smartphones, because Generative AI is here.

In some ways the trade embargo on Huawei and Samsung and Sony mysteriously abandoning Triple Gain Sensors that they had presented papers on.

They don't need triple gain sensors when they have a full sensor readout at 240fps

The current multi-shot HDR algorithms work very well.

The dynamic range of a years old Huawei is close to a Fuji GFX 100 RAW file.

Also, there were some talks on improving optics on smartphones much beyond the plastic lens optics currently used by the majority of the market.

There's been a lot of improvements to the optics too.

Sony have a folded variable periscope zoom which is tiny and thin.

Apple have a mass-market folded optic, a 135mm equiv. prime lens in an iPhone.

Which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.

This is an incredible lens, capable of stunning results.

The advancement in cinematic video is also very large in the latest models. The ability to simulate any full frame lens is already possible with software, let alone generative AI.

Somehow all of it was abandoned, and smartphones never became equal to or much closer to ILCs.

I disagree. If you feed a 1" sensor Xiaomi 12S Ultra image from a few years ago into Adobe Camera Raw and apply the AI optical corrections you basically have the look of full frame and can't tell it apart.

The dynamic range is there, the resolution is excellent, the main lens is fast and capable. The telephoto also.

Smartphone photos, for now, only look good on small smartphone screens. On larger displays/ monitors they look strange (semi water colour pixalated). 

But you can shoot raw DNG.

This overcomes anything and everything you don't like about the smartphone image processor for taste reasons.

The DNGs benefit like the HEIF files do from the multi-sampling, quad bayer, multi-frame HDR and contain a fantastic amount of image data.

Even on a relatively modestly priced Pixel 6 from 4 years ago.

The more you shoot RAW the more you realise that the hardware is really fucking good, and that the processing built into the low level hardware and sensor output can be as natural as a mirrorless camera.

Then once you have the colours to taste, you can then apply AI optics on top in ACR

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

For filming? Sure!

For photography? (which is what this discussion point is about)

Nah, I'll take the cheaper Nikon D750 (or for a bit D850)

I highly doubt a beginner starting out in photography today is gna be JUST a photographer down the line. We are beyond that kind of career journey. Going with something like an R7 still allows you to use EF-L glass (which is getting cheaper by the day - and the real investment, obviously) while leaving you open to RF stuff in the future. 

• Administrators

Canon G1X which was their largest sensor compact ever at the time... Micro Four Thirds size sensor

Example shot is from RAW, no AI...

IMG_0163.JPG

Canon G12 typical small sensor (1/1.7"), RAW no edits

IMG_0160.JPG

Same RAW from the G12 but with the Adobe Camera Raw AI optic corrections activated:

IMG_0160-2.jpg

Can you tell that apart from the G1X any more?

The difference is now virtually unnoticeable.

I went on vacation and didn’t bring my GH6.  I used my iPhone 15 for photos and video instead.  Even if I would have brought the GH6 I would not have been prepared to shoot my friend’s kit boarding lessons from a lawn chair under a palm tree on the beach with a 15x zoom that I didn’t think to bring.

Could I have maybe captured it better with the right lens on the GH6 - sure!  Did he care - nope he like it so much he asked me to airdrop the videos to his iPhone as we were driving to the airport.

For me getting the shot is as important as getting the perfect shot. And in the near future just getting the shot will lead good enough results with the help of AI.

With less demand it is inevitable the lenses prices will fall until of course when there is a time when no one makes lenses anymore and ten years go by and the prices of lenses will start to go up and up…

On 6/30/2024 at 2:06 AM, majoraxis said:

I went on vacation and didn’t bring my GH6.  I used my iPhone 15 for photos and video instead.  Even if I would have brought the GH6 I would not have been prepared to shoot my friend’s kit boarding lessons from a lawn chair under a palm tree on the beach with a 15x zoom that I didn’t think to bring.

Could I have maybe captured it better with the right lens on the GH6 - sure!  Did he care - nope he like it so much he asked me to airdrop the videos to his iPhone as we were driving to the airport.

For me getting the shot is as important as getting the perfect shot. And in the near future just getting the shot will lead good enough results with the help of AI.

With less demand it is inevitable the lenses prices will fall until of course when there is a time when no one makes lenses anymore and ten years go by and the prices of lenses will start to go up and up…

I did the same, but in the opposite. I took a GH6 on holiday. Why? I care about the actual files I create. I don't want to look back on them and say "I wish I had taken my camera". I don't see that feeling going away anytime soon either. Sure, phones are getting better and in a pinch, why not? But when I can, I'll take the camera for its quality, better shooting experience and its authenticity (no AI crap going on that I have NO control over), not to mention I think I look like a douchebag when I use my phone.