Clear Image Zoom versus everything else

Emanuel

https://petapixel.com/2023/09/21/behold-the-power-of-sony-clear-image-zoom-a-feature-nobody-talks-about/

Sony has it.

Anything similar anywhere else along other brands?

Upcoming Z6 III price with no taxes in Japan has placed me thinking on letting down a FX30 purchase on works...

for mostly 4K100p nowadays and who knows 3D stereography applications later on...

When I was already dreaming with my MFT anamorphics coupled to a regular adapter, oh gosh what cruel world this camera industry and their releases can be! LOL : )

Without mention 10 bits 4:2:2 can do the trick.

On the other side, this is something I find it as some delightful playground.

Power zoom lenses can be used on both via Megadap ETZ21, so that's practically the same for that regard.

GX85 is my favourite form factor on handheld, so the closer the better, hence this thread other than the main topic up there:

https://camerasize.com/compare/#925,895

I never understood why viewfinder is any of a trouble when the proper accessory can easily handle it. Modular is my bedside table mantra instead ; )

Any input is welcome!

:- )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

A lot of manufacturers have some sort of variation of it but it’s the implementation of it that is key for me at least.

The Variable Scan Mapping of the LS300 was the one that really caught the imagination because you could map it to the zoom rocker so it was really intuitive. You can actually use a LANC controller for it instead and map focus to the rocker switch for a great solo solution.

Incidentally, you could do this with Clear Image Zoom on the Sonys such as A6500, A7Rii etc with cheap compact zoom rockers that plugged into the remote port too but I’m not sure whether the modern ones allow it?

For the Z8/Z9 and now Z6iii Nikon have their Hi-Res Zoom function and have the hardware MC-N10 grip to provide a tactile control.

IMG_5617.jpeg.d902daafbdc7736da38040c928db5708.jpeg

There is always a lot of “durr but you can crop in post dude” reaction to this sort of functionality and, whilst this is true, there are plenty of applications where virtual zoom makes a lot more sense.

For something like the LS300, if you are shooting live or handing media off for as live then obviously it gives you the way to get a tighter shot in camera that wouldn’t be an option otherwise.

To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, if you’ve got a 24-70 on the camera and you need the shot to be tighter …

IMG_5618.jpeg.40304dd3b77dbac2d6c40dcce805a6da.jpeg

The other scenario is not having to shoot in a “wasteful” resolution just to give you the option of cropping later.

With something like the 8K Z8/Z9 you are getting up to 2x hi res zoom and still be shooting in 4K whereas the Z6iii is a bit more limited in that it is only 1.2x whilst still being 4K but that might be all you need for that extra push over the cliff.

As I say, it’s horses for courses and will be of minimal use to a lot of people but it definitely has its applications where it’s an absolute boon.

It also forces you to make a decision about framing whilst shooting, which is anathema to the “I simply MUST have maximum post shooting noodling capability” crowd of procrastinators.

Fucking cowards 😉 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Sigma FP-L has a ‘zoom’ function.

It just crops on as they all do though?

Leica Q3 has ‘crop modes’ as do quite a few other FF sensor cameras.

I have my new (used) A7RV set up to shoot 3 different options:

C1 for compressed full 61mp raw

C2 for 26mp medium raw

C3 APSC crop which is also 26mp, but tighter framing than the full frame 26mp medium raw of C2.

All working with the Tamron 28-75 gives me actual working ranges of 28-75 and approx 40-110.

I have think there is a clear zoom option but not looked at it.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Sigma FP-L has a ‘zoom’ function.

It just crops on as they all do though?

Clear Image Zoom is a crop at native resolution, so on a Sony camera 2x clear image zoom at 4K looks like 4K

That's the same with the FP-L which has a 60 megapixel sensor, so enough resolution to do 4K at Super 16mm crop factors.

It's very detailed and not a digital zoom or blow-up.

14 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Leica Q3 has ‘crop modes’ as do quite a few other FF sensor cameras.

In stills mode only I think?

• Administrators

Yes, Sigma Fp-L and Fuji X-H2

They have the very high resolution sensors for it to work at MFT crop

When I was already dreaming with my MFT anamorphics coupled to a regular adapter, oh gosh what cruel world this camera industry and their releases can be! LOL : )

So you can put your 2x crop lenses on one of the above cameras and maintain 4K detail

I had that adapter made for MFT lenses to Fuji... It is a very small niche though, maybe not commercially worthwhile.

Even the X-H1 did a nice MFT crop in 4K

17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

A lot of manufacturers have some sort of variation of it but it’s the implementation of it that is key for me at least.

The Variable Scan Mapping of the LS300 was the one that really caught the imagination because you could map it to the zoom rocker so it was really intuitive. You can actually use a LANC controller for it instead and map focus to the rocker switch for a great solo solution.

Incidentally, you could do this with Clear Image Zoom on the Sonys such as A6500, A7Rii etc with cheap compact zoom rockers that plugged into the remote port too but I’m not sure whether the modern ones allow it?

For the Z8/Z9 and now Z6iii Nikon have their Hi-Res Zoom function and have the hardware MC-N10 grip to provide a tactile control.

IMG_5617.jpeg.d902daafbdc7736da38040c928db5708.jpeg

There is always a lot of “durr but you can crop in post dude” reaction to this sort of functionality and, whilst this is true, there are plenty of applications where virtual zoom makes a lot more sense.

For something like the LS300, if you are shooting live or handing media off for as live then obviously it gives you the way to get a tighter shot in camera that wouldn’t be an option otherwise.

To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, if you’ve got a 24-70 on the camera and you need the shot to be tighter …

IMG_5618.jpeg.40304dd3b77dbac2d6c40dcce805a6da.jpeg

The other scenario is not having to shoot in a “wasteful” resolution just to give you the option of cropping later.

With something like the 8K Z8/Z9 you are getting up to 2x hi res zoom and still be shooting in 4K whereas the Z6iii is a bit more limited in that it is only 1.2x whilst still being 4K but that might be all you need for that extra push over the cliff.

As I say, it’s horses for courses and will be of minimal use to a lot of people but it definitely has its applications where it’s an absolute boon.

It also forces you to make a decision about framing whilst shooting, which is anathema to the “I simply MUST have maximum post shooting noodling capability” crowd of procrastinators.

Fucking cowards 😉 

It was like you were reading my mind as I was reading.

The other thing that people often forget is that film is a creative medium.  I know it's heresy and I'll flame myself after posting this, but it matters because if you're zooming while filming then your choice of compositions and even choices in how you move the camera etc will be made on the basis of what you see in the frame.

People forget that the tech influences the operator, and the operator controls the camera and also influences the crew and even the cast (if they're grumpy or happy enough), and those things are far more relevant to the actual end product than any technical whatever that might exist as a counter-argument.