Where is the S1Rii ?

Ninpo33

After the latest Leica SL3 release I’m patiently waiting for its discounted little brother from Panasonic. I have a new job coming up which will need better stills that can double as a third angle for video so I want to add to my LUMIX bodies but am getting tired of waiting. 

I guess the S9 and Gh7 have been announced so we’re back to waiting for the top of the line S cameras again. I sure hope LUMIX can match what Nikon and Fuji are doing for stills and video and give us what we’re all looking for. 

The SL3 isn't groundbreaking and the lack of the S1Rii announcements make me wonder if they’re shifting away from the normal release schedule and Leica/Lumix releases as we’ve known them. With Sony,Fuji and Nikon releasing 40mp and larger hybrid cameras, the gap between large megapixel cameras for stills is closing. I just saw a Sony Alpha 1 sell for $3,900 last week and the Fuji GFX series is getting cheaper and cheaper with each day. The X-H2 and X-H2s combo is now at $3,500 for the two of them combined. It’s so nice to have options but man… I just want to dial in a new S1Hii and S1Rii with all the new features and get to work…!!!

IMG_3841.jpeg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I was also ‘waiting’ on it and had already dismissed the Leica SL3, simply on cost.

The ‘S2R’ is likely to be the same, or even better and half the price, but that is just speculation on my part.

Also considered the GFX100s but the lens options do not exist for me. 

So Sony A7RV it was. And is. Early days and I didn’t really want to go Sony because…well, the photo snob in me says they have near zero heritage in making photography cameras and whilst that is true, it kept coming back to one single factor and that is who makes the smallest and best 60mp+ camera?

The answer is smallest, Sigma FP-L, but so much missing for me, as much as I wanted to, I just could not.

But best? The A7RV is just a chunky little compact, class leading, highly capable stills camera with stellar AF. 

Superb range of compact and affordable lenses that cover all the focal lengths that no other lens manufacturer does (at this size and weight) and relatively OK prices, it just became that ‘no-brainer’ they talk about.

With a trio of primes from Tamron; 20-40, 28-75 and 70-180, so far, I have zero criticisms.

But yeah Panny, where is that S1R’2’?!

• Super Members
49 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

, it kept coming back to one single factor and that is who makes the smallest and best 60mp+ camera?

The answer is smallest, Sigma FP-L, but so much missing for me, as much as I wanted to, I just could not.

But best? The A7RV is just a chunky little compact, class leading, highly capable stills camera with stellar AF. 

Was the a7RC not the compromise play ?

I haven’t looked at it closely enough but I’m guessing there were compromises there for your work?

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

.So Sony A7RV it was. And is. Early days and I didn’t really want to go Sony because…well, the photo snob in me says they have near zero heritage in making photography cameras and whilst that is true, it kept coming back to one single factor and that is who makes the smallest and best 60mp+ camera?

Yeah, I’m right there with you. I’m needing to use it for stills but then cut with it for interviews as a second or third angle so I’m trying to stay same/similar sensor. You can’t beat LUMIX for the features you get for the money and the IBIS is hard to ditch once you’ve been using it for run and gun stuff for a while. I don’t want to spend the money on an FX3 to pair with the A7Rv or Alpha 1 since the stills camera will already be a splurge. 

I may just pick up a cheap $1,200 S1R for now and wait it out. And then add a cheap S9 when they go on sale to $1200 later this year. 

ugh. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, it’s definitely in the mix but there was something about it that made me just look at the A7RV instead for the money. Can’t remember what turned me off at the moment. A $3,800 Sony Alpha 1 would be fun but it’s starting to get a little dated and missing a bunch of the stuff the newer cameras are getting for less. The S5iix has me really spoiled for how well it does most everything for the price. Paying that “Sony tax” becomes tough to swallow. An S2R/S1Rii would slot in perfectly to my current worklflow so nicely so I’ve been trying to hold out. 

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven’t looked at it closely enough but I’m guessing there were compromises there for your work?

Too many compromises…

Single card slot, rear screen which I use 100% of the time, not even close, some other stuff I forget.

On balance, for not that much more money, it’s a hell of a lot more camera. For pro work.

7 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

You can’t beat LUMIX for the features you get for the money and the IBIS is hard to ditch once you’ve been using it for run and gun stuff for a while

Which is exactly why I have stuck with Lumix for video and 3 of my 4 cameras are Panasonic.

I don’t want to spend the money on an FX3 to pair with the A7Rv

I looked really hard at much cheaper FX30’s and they would have been perfect for my needs and if starting from scratch, would probably go that route, but no reasons I can think of to exchange S5ii’s for them.

I’m still on the fence whether to replace my S1H with a third S5ii or the S9…but it will be one or the other within the next few weeks.

I may just pick up a cheap $1,200 S1R for now and wait it out

Which is also what I almost did having used a pair of them for a season 2 years ago.

Fantastic image quality for stills and actually extremely good for video, but with some compromises.

The only thing that put me off and sent me to the Sony A7RV was lenses. The combos available for my needs are just too big and heavy and I tried them all!

My A7RV with baseplate and 28-75 for instance weighs 1.35kg in the hand and even with the 70-180, only about 1.5kg.

Previously, my equivalent, slower, less capable, L Mount Mount set up, weighed in at 2.8kg, so almost double!

I’ve only been using the new set up for a couple of days but it’s been a HUGE step up in all kinds of ways; weight, ergos, speed etc, ie, everything I wanted it to be.

Pure video needs though? Lumix. Easily.

Pure stills, Sony.

Hybrid, Lumix.

Lumix for me is now one camera (S2H or S2R) plus one lens (a fast compact 50-100 zoom) away from being the absolute for me, but it’s just the ‘anything over 70mm’ that makes it not work for me. 

So for now at least, happy to have a 75% split in terms of cameras for video from within L Mount and 25% from Sony for stills.

At some point in the future, I do hope L Mount can offer me everything I would like so everything is within one system, but my current one just works so I can wait. And if it does not happen, makes no difference to me!

It isn’t, but to be expected as it’s a previous gen system.

And that of the current S5ii/x just received a firmware upgrade making it better still.

Zero issues for me with that of the S5ii and IBIS is VERY important to me, especially now that I have ditched the hated gimbal forever 😉