How Important Is The Colour Science Of A Camera?

MrSMW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What got me thinking about this was my move from Nikon to Fuji to Lumix to Nikon to Sony for stills.

Nikon film for 5+ years, then digital for around another 5. Night and day difference between the film and digital in that the film was soooooo much nicer.

Fuji was a step up at the expense of AF and the bonus of a massive size and weight advantage.

Lumix full frame files definitely had an edge over Fuji APSC. Fujis SOOC Jpegs crush Lumix’s but Lumix’s raw files are better. Almost 10 years with Fuji and then 3 years with Lumix.

Nikon Zf has the same sensor as the S5ii but maybe with some minor differences as the files are almost identical and placebo effect (?) I found the Nikon files to have an edge.

Less than 6 months back with Nikon and the switch to Sony is not as drastic as it might sound as I made the decision to leave Lumix for stills based around lenses.

I invested in E Mount lenses with the knowledge I could use either Sony cameras natively, or with Nikon adapted.

What swung it for me then was the extra stuff the A7RV has over the Nikons which is principally:

61mp allows for a ton of cropping and a ton of cropping allows for less lenses and lens swapping with just a single camera.

Compact size & weight.

Lenses are native so have an edge in AF and in camera lens corrections.

But what I am struggling with slightly is colour science…

24mp Nikon files are nicer and easier to work with than Sony files.

I can’t quite put my finger (yet) exactly what it is, but there is a significant difference.

Having said that, I have not been able to process the files in my normal manner because who knew that no image software on planet Earth does not denoise 26mp Sony medium raw files. Unless you do each one manually and with an average 1000 images per shoot, not an option.

But even with the 10-15% I shot at 61mp uncompressed raw, there’s a difference I need to overcome in the processing as I do not yet love the result as I did the Nikon…

Also, still not quite managed to get the result I would like out of my Lumix files for video and I don’t think that is a colour science issue per se, but more me.

Working on that one…