Why I'm not taking my S5ii on holiday.

John Matthews

So, I've been racking my brain trying to choose between taking my Panasonic S5ii and a couple of lenses or a combination kit of my trusty camcorder (Panasonic VX-981) and M43 camera (Panasonic GX800). I'll be going to the Seattle, WA area. I've decided to take the latter due to these primary reasons:

Weight

If I take just the Panasonic S5ii with the kit 20-60 lens and nothing else, it comes to 1090g. However, I'll need my ND filters, a strap, an extra battery, and cables, bringing the total to about 1500g. The GX800 with the kit lens is 450g (including an extra battery), and the VX-981 is roughly 500g (including an extra battery and accessories). This leaves room for an audio recorder and my Olympus 17mm f/1.8 for low-light photos.

Concerns about theft

Seattle is usually a very safe place. Still, the unexpected can happen. I spent roughly $2000 on the S5ii, whereas the GX800, VX981, and lenses were only $1000 (and used).

Convenience for photos

Hand anyone a camcorder, and they'll know what to do with it. The flip-up screen on the GX800 is perfect for selfies with family.

Greater depth of field

I want to see the environment much more than familiar sights from home. Not having a big-sensor camera means I need to be more careful about framing, but I get to see everything there.

Versatility with more equivalent focal lengths

The kit lens on the GX800 is a 12-32mm (24-64mm equivalent), and I also have a 0.79x wide-angle adapter for video that works well. The VX-981 has a 30-630mm integrated lens. The S5ii, even at pixel-to-pixel, won't reach anywhere near that. Enough said.

It's for fun, not work (who cares so much about quality, yeah, "only" 4K)

Without a doubt, the S5ii blows away the other combo in every way in terms of image quality from 20-60mm. I even reckon the proxy files are better than the 4K files on the VX-981, but somehow, I have more fun shooting with the VX-981 and the GX800. Maybe it's the challenge of it; I'm not sure, and I don't even understand it myself.

Any thoughts? Is this a huge mistake?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can perfectly relate. GX800 should be perfect. GX85 quality in an even smaller body if I got that right from your review. Coupled with the small and mighty 17mm 1.8, dream combo I would guess. I love the iq from my GX85 both for photo RAW and video 4K in combination with Resolve. Like we all know, a 10bit GX with HLG would be a smash. Your GX is still a hit. I would bring a third lens for the extra lens nerdy fun, a tiny Canon FD 100mm F2.8, a few grams of extra weight but tons of extra fun as well. You could leave your VX981 at home too.:)

41 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You could leave your VX981 at home too.

That camcorder is just so much fun and it has decent IBIS, something that the GX800 lacks. I'm going to take a mini tripod for it for that reason. To get out to 600mm equivalent, it would require the Olympus 75-300mm, which I also have. The problem is that it's the same weight as the VX-981 and it's near unusable on the GX800 unless on a tripod. The only thing that could "replace" the VX-981 is the 14-140mm or the 100-300mm due to their OIS. Also, I just love camcorders now because how versatile they are. I should also add that the audio on the GX80/85/800 are not great whereas the VX-981 has great audio.

49 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

That camcorder is just so much fun and it has decent IBIS, something that the GX800 lacks. I'm going to take a mini tripod for it for that reason. To get out to 600mm equivalent, it would require the Olympus 75-300mm, which I also have. The problem is that it's the same weight as the VX-981 and it's near unusable on the GX800 unless on a tripod. The only thing that could "replace" the VX-981 is the 14-140mm or the 100-300mm due to their OIS. Also, I just love camcorders now because how versatile they are. I should also add that the audio on the GX80/85/800 are not great whereas the VX-981 has great audio.

The XA50 I've been messing around with for the past few weeks has brought a new joy to filming that I haven't experienced since I first started shooting with my 5D and an IS lens. The top handle and the hood with its flip switch lens cap makes carrying and shooting a pleasure. With other cams, in between locations, I'd take off my VND filter and then put the camera back into my bag. With the camcorder, it just sits in my lap until I'm ready to shoot again... which is such a quick process... flip open the lcd, flip the lens cap switch, check exposure, record... I can grab shots from standby mode to record in about 3 seconds or so.

22 minutes ago, mercer said:

The XA50 I've been messing around with for the past few weeks has brought a new joy to filming that I haven't experienced since I first started shooting with my 5D and an IS lens. The top handle and the hood with its flip switch lens cap makes carrying and shooting a pleasure. With other cams, in between locations, I'd take off my VND filter and then put the camera back into my bag. With the camcorder, it just sits in my lap until I'm ready to shoot again... which is such a quick process... flip open the lcd, flip the lens cap switch, check exposure, record... I can grab shots from standby mode to record in about 3 seconds or so.

Yes, the XA50 looks like a great setup that don't really have to fuss too much with. The internal ND is a huge bonus. Camcorders, in general, are so easy to use. For the VX-981, I got a magnetic VND filter for it and just slap it on to get the shutter speeds down a little. It's certainly not a perfect camcorder (lack of any exposure tools, even no histogram), but it's small.

13 hours ago, John Matthews said:

So, I've been racking my brain trying to choose between taking my Panasonic S5ii and a couple of lenses or a combination kit of my trusty camcorder (Panasonic VX-981) and M43 camera (Panasonic GX800). I'll be going to the Seattle, WA area. I've decided to take the latter due to these primary reasons:

Sounds sensible to me - small, light, unobtrusive and take 'good enough' video and stills.

The same basic reasons I'm about to go out for the day with a pocket-sized ZV-1 instead of my OM-1 (despite the terrible battery life and the annoying user interface).

38 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Sounds sensible to me - small, light, unobtrusive and take 'good enough' video and stills.

There's something about a camera that doesn't "look serious". People tend not to notice them as much. I figure that the camcorder allows me to look like the old guy who couldn't afford a phone or something.

7 minutes ago, kye said:

Blasphemy!

Don't you want the FF cinematic look?

Here's me in NY:
image.png.7a86fa4fb6c14ba500faf8f3f10b9b2d.png
Here's me in Seattle:
Here's me in LA:
Here's me in Texas:
(appols for the DOF, I'm saving for the F0.95 version of my lens)

What are you going to take on holiday this year, Kye?

15 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Any thoughts? Is this a huge mistake?

Nah, you take whatever you want as we all do.

Me, P&S at most…but it depends on the trip I guess.

I’d like to go to Japan and as I am fairly sure Lumix won’t be inviting me to any camera launches, I’ll have to go at my own expense and won’t get a free camera.

For such a trip, I would take something with an interchangeable lens and my perfect combo for that would be an OM-1 with the 12-40mm f2.8 so real world FF equivalent of 24-80.

That’s my ideal ‘proper’ travel camera set up.

4 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

For such a trip, I would take something with an hour interchangeable lens and my perfect combo for that would be an OM-1 with the 12-40mm f2.8 so real world FF equivalent of 24-80.

Last time I went on the same trip, I took my E-M5 iii and a GX880. I also had the kit lenses with a couple of primes. They worked great. My only "problem" was indecision- I would go out not knowing what to take, first world problem for sure.

Some are right in saying I could just leave the camcorder at home. I'm going to take it, but I don't use it much, I'll sell it when I get back. I don't think that'll be the case though. 

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

What are you going to take on holiday this year, Kye?

Equipment:

• GX85
  • 14-140mm F3.5-5.6
  • 12-35mm F2.8
  • primes: 14/2.5 and 7.5/2 and 17/1.4 and ~50mm F1.4
  • iPhone
  • <unknown second camera>

Setups:

• Daytime tourist mode
    GX85 with 14-140mm, and iPhone wide

• Night tourist mode
    GX85 with 12-35mm, and 7.5mm F2

• Compact / pocket mode
    GX85 with 14mm

• Night low-light mode
    GX85 with 7.5/2 and 17/1.4 and ~50mm F1.4

The unknown second camera is still something I'm thinking about.  Options:

1. GH5
    Great AF-S and modes.  EVF.  It's better than the GX85 at lots of things, but not by a great deal.

2. OG BMMCC
    Much better DR than GX85, which is super-useful for sunsets.  Larger.  No AF.  Slowest to shoot with.

3. OG BMPCC
    Much better DR than GX85.  Compact.  Has slow AF.  Slow to shoot with.  Screen difficult to use in daylight.

Now that the kids are grown and moved out it'll be me and the wife travelling, so I'm contemplating adopting a dual-purpose for equipment, shooting for myself but also shooting 'street cinema' videos for public release.  The BM cameras would make a much better option for that.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Equipment:

• GX85
  • 14-140mm F3.5-5.6
  • 12-35mm F2.8
  • primes: 14/2.5 and 7.5/2 and 17/1.4 and ~50mm F1.4
  • iPhone
  • <unknown second camera>

Setups:

• Daytime tourist mode
    GX85 with 14-140mm, and iPhone wide

• Night tourist mode
    GX85 with 12-35mm, and 7.5mm F2

• Compact / pocket mode
    GX85 with 14mm

• Night low-light mode
    GX85 with 7.5/2 and 17/1.4 and ~50mm F1.4

The unknown second camera is still something I'm thinking about.  Options:

1. GH5
    Great AF-S and modes.  EVF.  It's better than the GX85 at lots of things, but not by a great deal.

2. OG BMMCC
    Much better DR than GX85, which is super-useful for sunsets.  Larger.  No AF.  Slowest to shoot with.

3. OG BMPCC
    Much better DR than GX85.  Compact.  Has slow AF.  Slow to shoot with.  Screen difficult to use in daylight.

Now that the kids are grown and moved out it'll be me and the wife travelling, so I'm contemplating adopting a dual-purpose for equipment, shooting for myself but also shooting 'street cinema' videos for public release.  The BM cameras would make a much better option for that.

You're definitely more serious than me. I understand kids leaving the home as I'm down to a 12-year-old who's not always keen on being photographed or filmed. 

2 hours ago, kye said:

shooting 'street cinema' videos for public release

That sounds interesting, especially nowadays. I'd be scared of significant confrontation (even when it's legal). It would seem you can do anything with a phone, but when it's a "camera", people think the worst.

Makes a lot of sense to me! Being out of the house and wanting to be present while taking what we deem as optimal photo and video is tricky. 

I’ve actually settled upon getting the new iPhone for raw and log, and will pair with my Ricoh Griiix. I’ve seen really wonderful finished products for both. The only other camera would be the Pocket 3.  Anything that can’t be easily put in my pocket or a small fanny pack is too much.  Interchangeable lenses when traveling or trying to be present or having drinks and not wanting bulk or a chance to misplace or forget something - won’t be considered. 

I´ve been using my BMPCC again the last couple days.

Yesterday I could hardly see anything when I was filming outside under the bright summer sun. But I still managed to grab some beautiful shots. It would be my dream pocket camera with good battery life and screen. That and with 2.5K 60p plus full Hdmi and it would be my dream cinema camera perse. The image quality is just so much fun to work with and so is the challenge of non nonsense no ibis operation. Make it a 3K camera. 3K sounds cool and makes it great to be distinguished from the ordinary 4K crowd.

From my experience the camera does not only shut off because off an empty battery but also due to overheating under even mild conditions. A Fairchild Pocket 3K with 60p, good battery life and screen, how cool would that be!  What a cool name, Fairchild 3K! 🙂

In my bag this weekend are my Bmpcc with a 25mm and my Panny LX15. I would add the 14mm plus Vari ND.