Why I'm not taking my S5ii on holiday.

John Matthews

1 hour ago, Ninpo33 said:

But you already know that

I actually got over €150 more from MPB when I sent them my S1H.

Also, for another item, they increased the value/quote and they did not need to do this so to me that is the sign of a fair company.

I bought my S1H for something around 2.5k and sold it for 900 so the total cost was 1600 for its life with me.

It was used on 60+ paying jobs so worked out at a cost of around €27 per job turning over an average of ballpark €3.5k per job.

OK, there was other kit used as in other cameras and lenses, but compared with say renting, €26 per job for a piece of kit like an S1H is bonkers cheap! Not per day as each ion my jobs are an average 2 days, but per job, so more like €13 for aq day's 'hire'.

A major difference I guess vs the 'casual user' of photo gear and working pros is that we don't actually pay for anything we use. Ever. 

Some of us do however throw away a but more than we might otherwise but as long as you don't swap brands every other week...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

I was going to pull the trigger on the BS1H when it went on sale to $1995 for a bit last year. Would have been great for my needs but then I learned it had no IBIS and it was an immediate non starter. Why would you build a mini S1H box camera and then take out one of it's most desirable features? Panasonic is weird sometimes...I feel bad for people that bought it, there are a few online used for close to what they were new meanwhile the S1h is 1/4 the price it was when launched. These people are stuck with a dud for sure...

I assume it's for the same reason the GH5s has no IBIS - for use in 'crash cam' situations where the high G-forces and vibration would upset (and potentially damage) the IBIS mechanics, introducing worse picture distortions than you'd get without IBIS.

I think they're primarily intended for situations where the camera is used in a fixed position and operated remotely (like, I assume, in BTM_Pix's picture above) or in 'hostile' environments where they are cheap enough to write-off if the worst happens.

They're just aimed at a different part of the market compared to the S1H - and if some are selling 'used for close to what they were new' that suggests there is decent demand for it (the non-IBIS GH5s has also held its used value quite well).

3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

They're just aimed at a different part of the market compared to the S1H - and if some are selling 'used for close to what they were new' that suggests there is decent demand for it (the non-IBIS GH5s has also held its used value quite well).

I agree with the use case and non IBIS. Studio cams mostly I think based on how they advertised the networking ability. 

I don't think they sold too many to be honest so people don't have a lot of reference for the value since so few are listed for sale. The ones that are tend to sit for a while and are priced pretty high for what they are in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...