Canon New Product Launch - 17th July 2024

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From DPReview:

R1https://www.dpreview.com/news/5361436240/canon-announces-eos-r1-flagship-sports-photojournalism-camera

Key specifications

24.2MP stacked CMOS sensor

100% AF coverage with cross-type sensors

Up to 40fps blackout-free shooting (JPEG+Raw)

Pre-capture for photo and video (1/2 sec. for photos, 3 or 5 sec for video)

Eye-controlled AF with improved eye detection

Activity AF mode trained on specific sports

Pre-registered person AF priority

Blur/out-of-focus image detection

In-camera processing with neural network noise reduction

In-camera processing with AI upscaling

6K/60p internal Raw video capture

DCI-4K capture up to 120fps

Canon S-Log2 gamma profile

R5 iihttps://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-ii-initial-review

Key specifications:

45MP Stacked CMOS sensor

Eye-controlled AF subject selection

Up to 30fps continuous shooting with blackout free viewfinder

In-body stabilization rated at up to 8.5EV correction, coordinated with lens

Pre-burst capture (JPEG)

8K Raw video capture up to 60p

Canon C-Log2 profile

Waveforms and false color display

AF trained by machine learning for specific sports

AI-enhanced post-shot noise reduction or upscaling

1x CFexpress Type B, 1x UHS-II SD

1 minute ago, kye said:

Sounds expensive.

From Canon press release:

The Canon EOS R1 camera is expected to be available in the Fall of 2024, for an estimated retail price of $6,299.00*.

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II camera is expected to be available in August 2024, for an estimated retail price of $4,299.00* for the camera body only.

The EOS R5 Mark II camera kit, which will include the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens, will have an estimated retail price of $5,399.00*. For more information, please visit www.usa.canon.com.

• Super Members

The UK price for the R5ii is £4499 versus £3299 for the Z8.

The R5ii has some neat new features but the core stuff doesn't seem like its justifying 35% a hike against the more flexible mounted Z8.

I'll be interested to see the overheating scrutiny it gets after the erm "interesting" history of the mark 1.

We all remember the fiasco with the R5, but I have to admit the R5II sounds pretty amazing, I may replace my R7 with it but need to proceed with extreme caution to ensure all of the specs on the spec sheet are true. Below are the features that really stand out for me:

• No Line Skipping - From the documentation I have viewed so far, it looks like all modes are full sensor read out including 4K60FPS
  • No Record Limit - FINALLY, for only $4299 you can remove the record limit from the R5
  • CLOG3 and CLOG2 - I find CLOG3 adequate for most of my needs, but it will be nice to be able to pair the R5 with the C70 and have them both shoot in CLOG2
  • XFAVC - This is a really nice codec addition to the R5, much easier to edit than your typical H.265
  • Full size HDMI Port - Even I have to ask....where is the cripple hammer? It has to be hiding somewhere in these details.
  • WFM, False Color, Zebras - Canon may finally be taking some cues from Panasonic and is throwing in everything but the kitchen sink for once.
  • New 4K60 RAW - Will be interested to hear more about what the data rate and specs are for this new raw format, I wish they had just used Cinema Raw LT like what I have in the C70

ANOTHER new battery? Keeping up with these batteries is almost as expensive as the camera itself, battery life in some of these modes is definitely a big question mark for me.

I would have just liked the spec of the R5 in the R3 body and would have switched to Canon as they have 2 lenses that would really work for me and that body is by far the best I have ever handled.

I hate add on battery grips but also ‘need’ more than 24 mega pixies…

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, kye said:

Feel the cinema!

Very much Batman 1966 with the Dutch angle when in the lairs of the villains to indicate that they were crooked.

Batman-1966-Villian-Camera-Tilt.jpeg.e6993a81bf881367aa95f4e33a194eb6.jpeg

Not sure thats the vibe that Canon would want to portray but it would have been quite apt for the launch of the original R5.

2 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I would have just liked the spec of the R5 in the R3 body and would have switched to Canon as they have 2 lenses that would really work for me and that body is by far the best I have ever handled.

I hate add on battery grips but also ‘need’ more than 24 mega pixies…

Why do you dislike battery grips? I like the versatility, my video camera never has one since it needs to be on a gimbal sometimes and my photography camera always has one for maximum battery life.

If this camera truly lives up to the hype then I will standardize on two R5 II's, one set up for photos, and one set up for hybrid photo/video shooting, standardize on the new battery, and sell my R5 and R7. With two R5 II's and the C70 I will be able to simplify my kit a little more.

Does anyone else understand what this means:

The native ISO range runs from 100-51200, which can be expanded to ISO 50-102400.

I have read that 3x on different spec sheets but still don't understand what it means or if it means what it says then I don't believe it.....does the R5II really have a NATIVE ISO range from 100-51200? I have heard of dual native ISO and now triple native ISO for the C400, there is no way the R5II has hundreds of native ISOs.

I think they mean standard ISO and extended ISO.

11 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Yes.  I think they mean that out of the box, ISO goes to 51200, but there's a setting where you can ask it to allow 102400.

It is just annoying especially for a new product launch that something that important uses the wrong terminology. I am fine with just dual native ISO, but at least use the right terminology on launch day. Admittedly, this was not on the Canon website but it looks like a copy/paste spec sheet that all of the vendors have posted.

I've seen/heard a few mentions that video dynamic range on the R5 II is better than the original.  I'll be curious about how much since the original's was mediocre at best.

Otherwise, stacked sensor w/ less RS sounds great.  Waveform monitor is nice (and hopefully people will browbeat Canon into making it movable/resizable since the current location/size is... bad).  

For my uses, I couldn't care less about whether 8K can go to 60 fps now (especially since I suspect it require the fan grip, even when running/stopping on set).  I'm also curious about just how hot the body gets in high temperature mode without the fan.  That's a small body and 8Kp60 

I'm maybe more excited about Canon's "SRAW" option which can do full sensor-width 4K in a raw-like container- especially if that adds a little more DR due to downsampling.  Could make for easier editing next to my C70.

Overall, the R5 II looks pretty solid.  I'll look forward to seeing the feedback after it gets in the hands of real users - and to probably trading in my OG R5 to get one as soon as the first wave of used bodies hit the stores.  😃

8k raw bitrate for 30fps is 2600mb/s. Thats 4.6:1 compression ratio. For 8k60p you have to use "lightweight" raw, same 2600mb/s, and that equals to almost 9:1 compression ratio.

8k24p 10bit 4:2:2 "high" intra: 1920mb/s. Seems like there is no 8k60p 10bit recording. Also didn't find 4k60p "Fine", so its not from full sensor readout. The only "Fine" 4k60p is 8bit 4:2:0.

6 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

8k raw bitrate for 30fps is 2600mb/s. Thats 4.6:1 compression ratio. For 8k60p you have to use "lightweight" raw, same 2600mb/s, and that equals to almost 9:1 compression ratio.

8k24p 10bit 4:2:2 "high" intra: 1920mb/s. Seems like there is no 8k60p 10bit recording. Also didn't find 4k60p "Fine", so its not from full sensor readout. The only "Fine" 4k60p is 8bit 4:2:0.

I have a hard time believing 4K30 is line skipped or only 8bit, here is the BH spec sheet, admittedly it is hard to tell what's what on it but I just don't see any scenario where you only get 4K30 8bit, even the R7 is 10bit and offers non line skipped 4K30. In the spec sheet below it looks like all of the codecs are available for all of the resolutions.

Do you have a link to a better spec sheet?

Raw 14-Bit
DCI 8K (8192 x 4320) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
H.264/MP4/XF-AVC S/XF-HEVC S 4:2:2/4:2:0 8/10-Bit
DCI 8K (8192 x 4320) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97 fps
UHD 8K (7680 x 4320) at 23.98/25/29.97 fps
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps
DCI 2K (2048 x 1080) at 23.98/24.00/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120/200/240 fps
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120/200/240 fps