Canon New Product Launch - 17th July 2024

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I just didn't find "fine" mode for 4k60p 10bit.

According to this chart, 4K60FPS is still line skipped.

image.thumb.png.577359c0afeb22ecf8d64be5fb1c2368.png

4K SRAW Light looks pretty interesting to me, will definitely like to see how it holds up and how it compares to something like XFAVC.

image.png.b47064a47b2b2c9cc4c3418a617a5eec.png

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Very much Batman 1966 with the Dutch angle when in the lairs of the villains to indicate that they were crooked.

Batman-1966-Villian-Camera-Tilt.jpeg.e6993a81bf881367aa95f4e33a194eb6.jpeg

Not sure thats the vibe that Canon would want to portray but it would have been quite apt for the launch of the original R5.

It's a subtle art for sure!

37 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

On Dpreview they write that in RAW 8K and 4K the rop factor is 1:1.

How is it possibile? Line skipping and column skipping?

Discussed a bit already in this thread.  They're calling it "sraw."  I suspect that it's downsampling the full sensor readout and storing the data in a 12-bit raw-like format.  It's probably not actually raw, but works like it for any of the stuff people care about.

From the DPReview initial review (my bold):

The EOS R5 II can capture either 8K Raw footage at up to 60p or 'SRAW' 4K video at up to 60p. Both options use the 1.89:1 aspect ratio DCI format. Canon hasn't given detail of how the 4K Raw is generated (downscaling or sub-sampling). The camera uses Canon's compressed 'Raw Light' format for the 50 and 60p footage, to keep file sizes manageable.

19 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

From the DPReview initial review (my bold):

I saw some samples in the CVP review, they looked pretty good to me...then again I am pretty easy to please.

What I really want to see though is if it actually has even 15 stops of DR.....that to me is the biggest improvement over the R5 if so. The fact that they included CLOG2 as an option tells me DR has improved to at least 14 actual stops.

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

181195454_ScreenShot2024-07-17at15_23_46.thumb.png.7c8c4fe5399248f8de0097e8f7afb8f8.png

I actually thought it was going to be $600 knowing Canon. I am looking forward to the real world overheating and battery life tests for 4K30FPS and to a lesser extent 4K60FPS without the cooling grip. I mainly use 4K30FPS for longform content. Also, battery life at 4K30FPS; the R7 is great and lasts almost 1.5hrs at 4K30FPS.

53 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

What I really want to see though is if it actually has even 15 stops of DR.....that to me is the biggest improvement over the R5 if so. The fact that they included CLOG2 as an option tells me DR has improved to at least 14 actual stops.

At what noise level?  CineD already could perceive 16.8 stops on a Xyla 21 with the R5 in 8K raw mode, but at SNR=2, only 10.3 were evident.  If I'm guessing, the new one will be close to the same on Xyla 21, but with more usable stops in the shadows.  I'd be willing to bet a quarter that new measurements show somewhere between 11 and 12.5, but I'd be delighted to be wrong and have it be more than that.

Better shadows would be great - I'd love to have an R5 that's less sensitive to underexposure.  For a recent short film, the b camera operator wasn't as familiar with the camera and underexposed a few clips.  I had to denoise just about all of the detail right out of 'em so that they'd play with the other stuff.

55 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

At what noise level?  CineD already could perceive 16.8 stops on a Xyla 21 with the R5 in 8K raw mode, but at SNR=2, only 10.3 were evident.  If I'm guessing, the new one will be close to the same on Xyla 21, but with more usable stops in the shadows.  I'd be willing to bet a quarter that new measurements show somewhere between 11 and 12.5, but I'd be delighted to be wrong and have it be more than that.

Better shadows would be great - I'd love to have an R5 that's less sensitive to underexposure.  For a recent short film, the b camera operator wasn't as familiar with the camera and underexposed a few clips.  I had to denoise just about all of the detail right out of 'em so that they'd play with the other stuff.

Well yes, that is the hope...usable stops, paper specs mean nothing. With all of my Canons except the C70 I tend to overexpose a bit to the point to where it can be challenging finding a happy medium so that I can push it back down in post to get max DR with minimal noise, trusting the WFM more and having to play less exposure gymnastics would be great.

The C70 is just great.  People are going to be shooting with 'em for years to come...  basically until all the screens break off.  And then someone will offer a repair/third-party replacement and people will start using them again.  I just wish they'd make a FF version of it so I could get the full FOV of my M-mount lenses (since M mount speed boosters are both impossible and also a terrible idea because of how many M mount lenses have protruding rear elements). 

Anyway.  Fingers crossed that the DR will improve.  It'd be nice to light for the C70 and then not have to realize that the B camera somehow has both blown-out highlights and crushed shadows.  😅

14 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

The C70 is just great.  People are going to be shooting with 'em for years to come...  basically until all the screens break off.  And then someone will offer a repair/third-party replacement and people will start using them again.  I just wish they'd make a FF version of it so I could get the full FOV of my M-mount lenses (since M mount speed boosters are both impossible and also a terrible idea because of how many M mount lenses have protruding rear elements). 

Anyway.  Fingers crossed that the DR will improve.  It'd be nice to light for the C70 and then not have to realize that the B camera somehow has both blown-out highlights and crushed shadows.  😅

They make a FF version...its called the C400🤣. But yes, I hope they do what they did with the C300; this time next year announce a C90 with the C400's sensor and C70's form factor and let all of the C400 buyers sit around with buyers regret.

You are so right about trying to match the C70, my R7 is my C70 B cam and especially with the speedbooster on the C70 it can be challenging, plus I am trying to compare the histogram on the R7 to the WFM on the C70.....fun times.

6 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Why do you dislike battery grips?

Well I do and I don't...

2 of my 4 cameras have battery grips on them and my S1H used to!

What I mean is I would prefer a built in grip a la Z9 and R3 rather than screw on ones because I will either use a camera with or without, but never change the set up, if you know what I mean?

My pair of S5ii's have a battery grip welded on as both live on tripods for longer form stuff and I'd rather not risk a battery needing to be changed, but the battery grips allow hot swapping so as long as I have spare batteries, until the cards run out!

Also, if I am going to be using anything as large as, or larger than a 24-105, I definitely want a grip or I find it's just an unwieldy set up having big heavy lenses on gripless bodies.

One of last year's set ups was just crazy though and the was S1H + grip + Leica 24-90 and it was pushing 3kg.

I don't run anything now over 1.5kg if I can help it and only have one combo that goes slightly over.

I'm trying to shrink everything as much as I can re. anything I have to physically carry or have attached to my person and my current set up is the most capable vs compact, yet.

I would have made an exception with one Canon combo though and that would have been the R3 with the 24-105mm f2.8 and only 2 factors put me off...

Cost and 24mp. I would have swallowed the first if that body had been or had an option for 45mp because it would then have negated the need for me to have anything but one single 'one & done' lens.