Canon New Product Launch - 17th July 2024

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

I thought camera opinion videos were getting a bit obsessive when that guy a few weeks ago left his kids alone inside the holiday cabin as he couldn't possibly wait another minute to get on the porch and share his thoughts on a camera rumour with the wider world on YouTube but.....

Well, this is on another level.

The moral of the tale is that even when staring down the long tunnel into the abyss he still stands by his decision to buy the Z8.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I thought camera opinion videos were getting a bit obsessive when that guy a few weeks ago left his kids alone inside the holiday cabin as he couldn't possibly wait another minute to get on the porch and share his thoughts on a camera rumour with the wider world on YouTube but.....

The moral of the tale is that even when staring down the long tunnel into the abyss he still stands by his decision to buy the Z8.

Another level, really

18 hours ago, jpfilmz said:

It's image for sure has a great look to it. I was thinking about picking up a Red Komodo but wanted to seen that the R5 MK2 was about and so far it looks great. 

And this

The main takeaway for me from this yet another launch short is that today you can do anything with any camera as long as you have budget and skill. The quality is very high now. From what you see on this short at the end they didn't even use cinema lenses but all standard Canon stuff

To this if they gave it an FX3, FX5, S5 or an Alexa, the result would be indistinguishable. Bravo to the DoP and the colorist.

The Creator, 100M USD budget shot all with the FX3 studied and designed by Dune DOP Greig Fraser, oscar award winner for Dune, says it all. Then you see the stuff done by Philip Chiesa with a Gh5S and you have further confirmation.

Then of course everyone has their own preferences and fixations but this is the hard and pure reality.

P.S.

A little too orange & teal for my taste. The days of Michael Bay are gone 😄

The new raw like 4k looks interesting. So far i like the Z6iii launch film about the longboarder the best, with great motion and fantastic color. DR might be one stop less, but latitude might still be a winner. For video the Z6iii seems the one to beat, for hybrid use it's the Z8 obviously. Canon R5 shooters will enjoy the release of the R5II, I am sure. If the image is as beautiful as from the C500 MKII, it will be a compelling choice for many pros with a passion for a big screen quality image. IF.

9 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

The new raw like 4k looks interesting. So far i like the Z6iii launch film about the longboarder the best, with great motion and fantastic color. DR might be one stop less, but latitude might still be a winner. For video the Z6iii seems the one to beat, for hybrid use it's the Z8 obviously. Canon R5 shooters will enjoy the release of the R5II, I am sure. If the image is as beautiful as from the C500 MKII, it will be a compelling choice for many pros with a passion for a big screen quality image. IF.

The new raw lite options for 4K are definitely interesting, I've already seen a little bit of sample footage where it is barely distinguishable from one of the H.265 options, if I end up with this camera I will probably stick to XF-HEVC for most of my work. 

As far as codecs go, my favorite so far is the option to use XF-HEVC for 8K, probably not for very long before the camera overheats, but still for a few clips here and there it could be pretty useful.

32 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

And this

The main takeaway for me from this yet another launch short is that today you can do anything with any camera as long as you have budget and skill. The quality is very high now. From what you see on this short at the end they didn't even use cinema lenses but all standard Canon stuff

To this if they gave it an FX3, FX5, S5 or an Alexa, the result would be indistinguishable. Bravo to the DoP and the colorist.

The Creator, 100M USD budget shot all with the FX3 studied and designed by Dune DOP Greig Fraser, oscar award winner for Dune, says it all. Then you see the stuff done by Philip Chiesa with a Gh5S and you have further confirmation.

Then of course everyone has their own preferences and fixations but this is the hard and pure reality.

P.S.

A little too orange & teal for my taste. The days of Michael Bay are gone 😄

Yes, the grading is a bit too much. The rest I like it.

The only thing that worries me a bit is some wobble I hope is more user error / extreme situations than IBIS. 

23 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

The new raw lite options for 4K are definitely interesting, I've already seen a little bit of sample footage where it is barely distinguishable from one of the H.265 options, if I end up with this camera I will probably stick to XF-HEVC for most of my work. 

As far as codecs go, my favorite so far is the option to use XF-HEVC for 8K, probably not for very long before the camera overheats, but still for a few clips here and there it could be pretty useful.

Is cool that they added XF-HEVC in 8k but the data rate is higher than RAW Light so I will stick with RAW

8K RAW Light (24.00p/23.98p): Approx. 1340 Mbps
8K 24p XF-HEVC S YCC422 10-bit High Quality Intra – 1920mbps

9 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Is cool that they added XF-HEVC in 8k but the data rate is higher than RAW Light so I will stick with RAW

8K RAW Light (24.00p/23.98p): Approx. 1340 Mbps
8K 24p XF-HEVC S YCC422 10-bit High Quality Intra – 1920mbps

I never use intra, LongGOP is only 400Mbps which is what I would use.

XF-HEVC S YCC420 10bit Standard LGOP 29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p: Approx. 400 Mbps

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

WTH... and my people at home think we are all insane for camera related stuff : D Well, at least we do it by written! LOL : P

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Between the Sony a1, Fuji GFX 100 and Panasonic S1H I have the bases covered.

I should say so...!!! I've also been looking seriously at a used Sony A1 and been doing a deep dive online checking out the robust 8k to 4k (hack) quality out to the Atomos. 

Question for you Andrew, How is the 5.8k Super 35 mode on the A1, have you had a chance to get into it? Curious about the noise. On 8k the noise looks really clean and I'm digging the look. If the Super 35 is solid I just might have to start saving because at $3500 I think it's a killer deal. So far it's been overlooked in my opinion compared to the other Sony options.

52 minutes ago, zlfan said:

r5ii 8k is too sharp to my eyes, like news. I feel a little uncomfortable. 

haha but it's that infamous 50fps you were used to praise here, remember? ; )

I like to have it at disposal though... lots of details, opens a bunch of distinct routes such as hybrid use for fashion, large format print, etc., straight from video stream to also stills use at same time, for example.

Motion blur and softness (for some reason people are addicted to bokeh) is key for cinematic outcome anyway.

- EAG

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

I should say so...!!! I've also been looking seriously at a used Sony A1 and been doing a deep dive online checking out the robust 8k to 4k (hack) quality out to the Atomos. 

Question for you Andrew, How is the 5.8k Super 35 mode on the A1, have you had a chance to get into it? Curious about the noise. On 8k the noise looks really clean and I'm digging the look. If the Super 35 is solid I just might have to start saving because at $3500 I think it's a killer deal. So far it's been overlooked in my opinion compared to the other Sony options.

8K with that firmware update for 500Mbit 10bit 422 is what the a1 is all about

The super 35mm mode is your usual 5.8k downsampled to UHD... That has been around since the a7r II. No complaints with it but the full frame 8K is stunning.

When the R1 hits $2000 on eBay as pro cameras tend to do... and Sony a1 comes down under $3k used, things will start to get very interesting again for enthusiasts.

2 hours ago, zlfan said:

no good legend looks much more cinematic. not sure which takes were done with gh7. not sure if they did filtration. 

Any look can be manipulated in post, it is very easy to turn down sharpness by using a different lens, different color grade, possibly even in camera via the settings, or in post. I certainly would not make any purchasing decisions based on a single video. It is also possible they sharpened it in post. That particular video to me looks like its straight out of camera with a CLOG2 to Rec709 grade with no attempt at a "cinematic" look.

Any modern camera can be made to be so sharp it is crispy or so cinematic it looks like a Hollywood production via lighting, lenses, camera movement, and post processing.

• Administrators

8K via YouTube won't look true. It will have been manipulated by your display for a start, downscaled to fit. Compressed to hell. Any sharpness in the original image will look worse.

I miss the days when people were a bit more savvy about pixel peeping.

Downloading the original files from Vimeo...

Looking for signs of aliasing.

And in-camera colour science was more important prior to the everything being shot in LOG format.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

8K via YouTube won't look true. It will have been manipulated by your display for a start, downscaled to fit. Compressed to hell. Any sharpness in the original image will look worse.

I miss the days when people were a bit more savvy about pixel peeping.

Downloading the original files from Vimeo...

Looking for signs of aliasing.

And in-camera colour science was more important prior to the everything being shot in LOG format.

I am way past the pixel peeping days, any camera produced in the last 5+ years from any vendor can produce fantastic image quality. Just get what works best for your workflow and if it doesn't live up to your expectations then find something that does because I guarantee you something out there will.

8 hours ago, zlfan said:

no good legend looks much more cinematic. not sure which takes were done with gh7. not sure if they did filtration. 

in no good legend, I can guess which are gh7 shots. the ones with the old bar tender look sharper than other takes, almost different look or style, it might be taken by gh7. in other words, in order for gh7 to work with Alexa, not only arri log c lut is needed, filters are needed too. 

on the other hand, for news and sports, gh7 is perfectly fine, no less than any other cameras. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

When the Sony a1 comes down under $3k used, things will start to get very interesting again for enthusiasts.

I agree.

I have a huge set of legacy Minolta/Sony A mount glass that I'm looking forward to using on the A1. Even the niche Metabones speed booster for A-Mount hence the question about Super 35 crop modes. 

Did they ever get HDMI RAW output working correctly to the Atomos? Could never find a straight answer online. 

9 hours ago, zlfan said:

in no good legend, I can guess which are gh7 shots. the ones with the old bar tender look sharper than other takes, almost different look or style, it might be taken by gh7.

I also noticed the differences because of the sharpness.

There are three dimensions to images.

1) Colour and gamma
Colour response and processing of it in post is sophisticated, almost everyone is aware of this, thousands of people are discussing this at any point in time.

2) Texture (sharpness, resolution, noise, etc)
Tools for this are rudimentary in comparison, very few amateurs know anything beyond kindergarten-level "sharp=good" "in-camera sharpening = bad" statements, this is the current litmus test for knowing if someone has gotten serious about images yet.

3) Temporal aspects (how images depict movement)
Tools for manipulating this are almost non-existent, discussions hardly ever get beyond frame-rate / shutter angle / in-camera NR / rolling-shutter, this is the current litmus test for if someone sees cameras as tools for creative expression or toys that have specifications.

Ironically, the second and third aspects might be just as deep topics as the first, but the discussions are so focused on the first that with literally an hour of paying attention to the second or third categories in your NLE, a person could elevate their work well into emerging professional levels.